cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Suspended??

AslanGeorge
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When an account is suspended due to credit card expiry - WHY DON'T WE GET A MESSAGE TELLING US?  No email, not text, NOTHING!! Very upset.

20 REPLIES 20

@ndwood1 wrote:

My credit card doesn’t expire until July 7th

@ndwood1  This is the first time I have seen a credit card expire on a specific day that is not end month. Generally (from all my cards) if your card has an expiry date of 07/20 it is valid up to and including 31 July. Once the calendar turns over to 1 Aug, expired.

Of course they generally send a replacement a few months in advance that I need to activate which immediately cancels the old one once I do.

@ndwood1 wrote:

My credit card doesn’t expire until July 7th and my account is suspended. Called my credit card company and they have assured me all is good and even sent public mobile a notification that the payment was approved manually. Still no service and it has been several hours. I would love to speak with someone directly at mobile. Very frustrated!!

Contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

ndwood1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My credit card doesn’t expire until July 7th and my account is suspended. Called my credit card company and they have assured me all is good and even sent public mobile a notification that the payment was approved manually. Still no service and it has been several hours. I would love to speak with someone directly at mobile. Very frustrated!!

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Looks like you figured out what I meant in your last post @darlicious  Would it be nice? Yes. Is it going to happen? You've been here long enough to know the answer to that 😉

@AslanGeorge

Everyone seems to be forgetting public mobile is a prepaid service. They send you a reminder text to pay if you want to renew your service. After that it's up to you up to pay or make sure your credit card info is up to date. Other services send you a notice to pay because you owe them for their services you have already recieved. I've had a hold on my card on file....i don't expect public mobile to remind me to remove it so my payment goes thru.....personal financial responsibility is up to the individual not the company supplying your services

AslanGeorge

You're correct when you say "everyone else does it".  I have had notices from Telus, Shaw, Netflix and other auto pay services over the years.  They want their money from me so they let me know I'm not paying.  I don't think it's a big ask.

AslanGeorge

I agree with you.  I didn't intend to imply I wanted that.  I want it in the future and I feel it could be a nice feature.  It's a suggestion for a way to improve their service at some point in the future because it would have been a great help for me a week ago.

@DOA 

Personally I wouldn't want to recieve a text message telling me my payment method has failed after I have I've paid and reactivated my service. It would be telling me what I already know and by that the time its redundant.

DOA

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@zblackma wrote:

When the bank send me my replacement credit card @AslanGeorge .I then check to see which of my bills its attached to and update the card within their systems.

This quote right here. I don't believe any company has the obligation to send you updates for a card that is your responsibility. That seems a little over reaching and would take resources that are better used elsewhere in the system

One on the most popular queries on this forum is from people requesting help when for one reason or another (or often no reason at all) their credit card payment doesn't go through.

The OP is asking for a simple text message when a payment stalls.  I don't think that's unreasonable, nor a drain on resources.

Literally everybody else does it.

Karnbot13

@zblackma wrote:

When the bank send me my replacement credit card @AslanGeorge .I then check to see which of my bills its attached to and update the card within their systems.

This quote right here. I don't believe any company has the obligation to send you updates for a card that is your responsibility. That seems a little over reaching and would take resources that are better used elsewhere in the system

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AslanGeorge 

I can't think of any service that sends a message/email telling me my payment is declined except during payment that I'm actively involved making a payment. Does your bank email you if you bounce a check? The loss of your service is your message that something is wrong with your payment method. Unlike most postpaid mobile providers public mobile doesn't charge you $35 to restart your service.

I suggest now that you've updated your credit card on file that you set a reminder in your smartphone for 2, 3 or 4 years from now for a month before your credit card expires so you dont forget to upbdate your card on file for public mobile.

AslanGeorge

Thank you.  I have reactivated the account with the new credit card expiry date etc.  So, all is good in terms of being able to use the phone BUT ... and this is my main complaint ... there was no communication that the card was failing to make its AutoPay.  I know everything is automated with a service like Public and there aren't any real people involved but this should be a relatively easy fix.  If an account payment method doesn't work - an auto-generated email to the account says "There's something wrong with your payment method.  Please log in to your account for further information."  I manage this account for my wife and at a critical moment in time her phone stopped receiving texts and calls.  We assumed it was because we were roaming outside our home city because no communication was sent to indicate otherwise. (We've had that happen before with a different cell provider).

AslanGeorge

Thanks, I'm glad this method works for you but AutoPay to a credit card should be "set it and forget it".  With credit card expiry dates being 3 or 4 years in the future it's pretty easy to forget to update information.

When Public Mobile (or any provider) attempts to charge a credit card that doesn't work (expired in my case) they should at the very least communicate that problem to the customer by email. There were texts of non-essential matters to the phone after the service was suspended but they can't text a payment problem or suspension notice?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

what they said

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@AslanGeorge wrote:

When an account is suspended due to credit card expiry - WHY DON'T WE GET A MESSAGE TELLING US?  No email, not text, NOTHING!! Very upset.

I usually get a payment reminder text on my phone about 2 days before renewal date.

Here's what I do...I have my credit card on file and Autopay is enabled. A couple of days before my next renewal, I log into My Account and manually load $$ into Available Funds to cover the cost of the renewal. That way, I'm still getting the autopay reward and the account gets renewed without problems. At that time, I'd know if the credit card was hinky and I'd have time to fix it.

You can use the same steps using payment vouchers if you like. If you have a valid cc on file with autopay enabled and you'll get the $2 autopay reward.

DOA

@AslanGeorge wrote:

I agree with you.  Since we already get text messages and emails for all sorts of lesser and trivial stuff, why not something really important like this?

Hope you get it sorted.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@AslanGeorge wrote:

Not sure.

Being proactive is the best way to save you grief. Ensure to check where you may have used your credit card and make sure it is current. Especially for your cell phone.

I would suggest in the future that you keep track of what card you are using for Public or any provider. As soon as you get a new credit card set a reminder 2 months before expiry on your calendar for that new card. You will be reminded of this and remember that you will need to renew your card or at least apply for an extra payment so that there are no service interruptions. Public Mobile does not state anywhere that they provide this service. 

Stay safe out there!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AslanGeorge 

Login to your self-serve account.

Click on the Payment tab

Use the Manage my card link at the bottom of the Payment page to update your credit info

Make sure the credit card address matches what is on your statement.
1. If you live in multi-unit building, don't use the unit # or apt#. Just use the building number.
2. If the postal code on your statement has a space in the middle, left the last digit out. PM check the first 6 characters of the postal code only including the middle space.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

instant top up-01.jpeg

@AslanGeorge I suggest getting an instant top up to reactivate your account. while you contact customer support.

you can contact customer support by clicking this link below:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

Need Help? Let's chat.