cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zenfone3 Max 5.2" 16 GB

Heavyrocker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a simple question,anyone know if this phone works on public mobile network,im about to upgrade my Moto G 

25 REPLIES 25

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lspring wrote:

I got my zenfone 3 unlocked and it sure works. It used to be a problem is phones were locked. Hence, back then phones could still be working on Telus of Koodo and still work with PM. But, now you can get any phone unloked by carriers who sell them. Then it works with PM.

@lspring this thread hasn't been touched since October.  I don't think you needed to add anything here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lspring
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got my zenfone 3 unlocked and it sure works. It used to be a problem is phones were locked. Hence, back then phones could still be working on Telus of Koodo and still work with PM. But, now you can get any phone unloked by carriers who sell them. Then it works with PM.

alldylallday

Hey @PublicUser80 I just got a Zenfone 3 Max and have the same issue. Were you able to correct it?

Hey @srlawren

Band 4 was the first LTE band to be deployed and it is the best one to have in urban and suburban areas. For rural areas, it's better to have Band 17.

But again, it all depends on the person's location.

galadriel

I got mine from ncix and it was an easy plug and play

srlawren

@texwood no worries, I get notified when people reply since I had posted previously in this thread, so I saw you mention me without tagging.  🙂  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

texwood

@srlawren sorry I didn't mean to drag you into it (I intentionally did not use "@" in my response to avoid that but looks like you got involved anyways :))  

Anyways, I believe theoc's accusation of myself spreading misinformation is without merit. 

srlawren

@texwood @theoc198 well since I've been dragged into this now.........  😉

I stand by my statement.  If you can only have one LTE band, band 4 will give you the best bang for your buck on average.  There will be areas where that isn't the case and some where it is, depending on where you are physically located at the moment in time you look, your phone's capabilities, the network's capabilities, the network's load on each band, how far you are from a tower offering any available bands, what kind of obstacles are in your way, etc.  Band 4 should be available just about anywhere in Canada with an LTE signal, but you will see the other bands mentioned in some areas under some conditions (see my depending on list just a moment ago).

@theoc198 just because you are not connecting to band 4 in a given area and instead are on 2 or 5 or any other band doesn't necessarily mean that 4 isn't also available in that spot  but it might just be that you're getting a stronger signal at that moment on another band.  

Regardless, I'm far from an expert, and I may well be talking out of my metaphorical backside. Actually, @sheytoon, has anything I've said make any sense?  If you had to pick a single band to recommend folks strive for in a handset, with any others being gravy, would it be 4 or something else?  

texwood

Getting Started forum -> "How to I know if my phone will work..." (4th pinned post on that forum). 

BTW, in a message dated 09-28-2016 01:53 PM srlawren also said the following:  "The core band is Band 4.  If you want LTE, make sure you have band 4 support."  Yet I don't see you accuse srlawren of spreading misinformation.

theoc198

@texwood What offical post? Please link to it. 

texwood

@theoc198 I go by information from Public Mobile's official post.  If you feel that you are correct, get the moderator to modify their posting.

theoc198

@texwood band 4 is not the safest choice. Band 4 will not give you LTE signal in most rural areas. Even in Toronto my Samsung S7 almost never uses band 4. It mostly stays on band 2 and band 5 but outside Toronto in rural area it basically will never connect to band 4.

Casting doubt on a subject you don't know much about it is spreading miss information. If people want to take advantage of LTE as much as possible they should have the information they need to make an informed purchase. The bands I listed are the bands Public Mobile/Telus/Bell/Virgin/Koodo all use. 

texwood

@texwood Don't confuse people about LTE bands. Public Mobile has access to B2, B4, B5, B7, B12, B13, and B17 LTE bands. Not all bands are avialbale everywhere. They also have other spectrum not currently in use like Band 66 spectrum which will eventually be used. Don't spread missinformation. 

There is no confusion and disinformation.  If you want to be certain that your phone will work with PM under LTE, Band 4 is the safest choice.  Another other bands, as you said, may or may not be available. So if a person wants to buy a new phone, why would I advise them to play the "band roulette" when there is one I know for certain will work?

If you look at PM's official response, they certainly did not cover 7 bands as you have.

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Is your data working?
Or only the mms problem?

PublicUser80
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Was this actually resolved? I have also picked up a Asus Zenfone 3 Max (ZC520TL) and MMS does not seem to be working.

I've checked that I'm not over my data usage and followed the instructions to set up APN to Public Mobile with no luck on the MMS.

Thanks,

User

theoc198

@texwood wrote:

2G GSM:  not applicable to Public Mobile; PM does not operate under 2G GSM

WCDMA (also know as UTMS or HSPA):  Band 2 (1900), Band 5 (850)

LTE:  Band 4 (AWS aka 1700/2100) [I have my doubts whether PM can access to Bell's B7 and B17 networks]

@texwood Don't confuse people about LTE bands. Public Mobile has access to B2, B4, B5, B7, B12, B13, and B17 LTE bands. Not all bands are avialbale everywhere. They also have other spectrum not currently in use like Band 66 spectrum which will eventually be used. Don't spread missinformation. 

srlawren

@Heavyrocker based on your other thread, I think this is now resolved, right?

dohadotahmed
Please try to search the mobile network manually after putting the sim in you phone instead of automatic search for the networks.
You have to wait about 2 mins for the search to complete.
The search will give you a list of mobile operators. Select the public mobile LTE.
If you have success with this I will tell you how to configure your APN for data and mms.

Heavyrocker

Thanks for the reply,i just bought the device today and you are correct,it is compatible with PB networks.I have the same version you have i think,i got it from staples too,the $199 price.BUT,,,i still cant connect to PM...it says"cellular network not available...the guy fromstaples said it would work in canada,ill just have play around some more..WIFI was **bleep** too.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

OP, there are many models of zenfone.  The imports from overseas will likely only get 3G capability.  Band 4 LTE is unique to North America and so any phone that is not a North American edition will be missing this band.  Some brands have a so called global version but it is hit and miss whether band 4 LTE is included.  If a model number is available, that will help to better determine the LTE capability of the phone. 

texwood

2G GSM:  not applicable to Public Mobile; PM does not operate under 2G GSM

WCDMA (also know as UTMS or HSPA):  Band 2 (1900), Band 5 (850)

LTE:  Band 4 (AWS aka 1700/2100) [I have my doubts whether PM can access to Bell's B7 and B17 networks]

vinylisgoovy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had JUST enabled my Asus ZenFone3 tonight (ZE552KL) and both voice, text and data are working.  I bought this phone at Staples.  Hope this helps.

dohadotahmed
I know that Asus zenfone 3 north American version sold by staples work with major carrier bands in Canada but if you bought it from China then you have to put the model number to the website to see if it's cimpitable with pm.

Heavyrocker

Thank you,i checked that site you posted and it seems that Asus phone is not compatible.Specs are i need GSM and LTE network.

dohadotahmed
The global version and north American version will work for public mobile 3g and 4g.
I don't know which version you have?
You can check here
http://willmyphonework.net
Thanks.
Need Help? Let's chat.