cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings manual vs autofill?

petaling
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung note 8 Canadian version.

I entered the APN values as noted in

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/samsung-galaxy-note8

I restarted the phone and found that the phone is using an APN below,which is different from the "Public Mobile 2 " values I entered based on the above link.

auto-fill apn:

Access Point Names:
Name: Mobile Internet.
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
APN type: internet + mms
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
Mobile virtual network operator type: GID
Mobile virtual network operator value: 40

Now which version is better for my phone.The auto-fill version or the manual entered version??????Worth noting is the MMS proxy and the MMS port is different(74.49.0.18 vs mmscproxy.mobility.ca and 80 vs 8799)

Your advice would be appreciated.Both seems to work for whatsapp sms etc so far

10 REPLIES 10

@berniedes wrote:

HI  petaling

I know this is messge is a bit old  but samething for me phone.     If I use the autofil ,   data works great  and  also  MMS to send pictures via text message.     I have a Samsung J3 Prime 2017

However,  if I use the manual settings,   the  MMS to send pictures does not work.  

So for me ,  I will keep using the autofil settings.

@berniedes  If you compare the APN type from the autofill setting against the recommended APN settings is there a difference. If yes, that would explain why the manual settings do not work. Maybe post the difference for other customers to be aware for that specific phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@berniedes wrote:

@berniedes if everything works great with the automatically set up APN entry then there's no need for a manual one.  Some phones don't recognize Public Mobile and require a manual configuration.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

berniedes

HI  petaling

I know this is messge is a bit old  but samething for me phone.     If I use the autofil ,   data works great  and  also  MMS to send pictures via text message.     I have a Samsung J3 Prime 2017

However,  if I use the manual settings,   the  MMS to send pictures does not work.  

srlawren

@petaling wrote:

I just retested my connections.

While both setting works,Using whatsapp on data, actually it is faster on the manually input Public Mobile 2 settings and slower on the  autofill Mobile Internet settings.There is a lag time of about 2 sec -3 sec on the autofill settings(that is using a never locked 2018 Note 8 previouly on Koodo preapid)

@petaling odd.  Well, I guess use your manual one, then!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

petaling

I just retested my connections.

While both setting works,Using whatsapp on data, actually it is faster on the manually input Public Mobile 2 settings and slower on the  autofill Mobile Internet settings.There is a lag time of about 2 sec -3 sec on the autofill settings(that is using a never locked 2018 Note 8 previouly on Koodo preapid)

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, I’ve used 4 different unlocked phones so far on this network, and each of them required an APN update manually.

My Nexus 5, my iPhone 5s, my loaned Moto E2 LTE, and my current LG q6.  I setup a SIM  for a friend on an old Samsung Galaxy Nexus (old full size sim slot!!), and it too required APN modification. 

Maybe the off brand phones such as the OnePlus and other non North American dominated brands have better results?

@stonechucker I definitely wouldn't have expected that from at least some of the devices on your list.  Interesting.  I've used a 1st gen Moto X, a OnePlus 3, a OnePlus 5T, and my better half has used a Samsung Galaxy S7 and an S8, all on PM, without requiring any manual APN configuration.  They all just worked out of the box.  

@srlawren, I’ve used 4 different unlocked phones so far on this network, and each of them required an APN update manually.

My Nexus 5, my iPhone 5s, my loaned Moto E2 LTE, and my current LG q6.  I setup a SIM  for a friend on an old Samsung Galaxy Nexus (old full size sim slot!!), and it too required APN modification. 

Maybe the off brand phones such as the OnePlus and other non North American dominated brands have better results?

srlawren

@petaling phones contain APN info in thier firmware for known networks.  Most phones seem to recognize and configure APN for Public Mobile just fine all on their own, but some don't and require manual.  I would suggest you use the automatically created profile unless you're having specific issues with it.

petaling

but why would the phone automatically fill in the values Mobile Internet and that seems to work too?

Why would apn gishan published info that are not needed for the Samsung Note 8 to work with Public Mobile? my relatives Iphone seems also to be autofill, ie no need to set apns!

Incidentally Koodo uses those Mobile Internet settings too(mmsc )

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@petaling, when you manually entered the Public Mobile APN and saved it, did you select it as the default APN?  You need to select the "active" APN especially when the available list included more than one. 

Need Help? Let's chat.