cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about Community Notifications

mike7095sk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys, as I have started participating in the community more, I get notifications to my email when someone replied in the tread. This is very handy. 

I get 2 emails every notification, I get one and then a minute or so later I get the same notifications.

what gives?

8 REPLIES 8

mike7095sk

Thanks for the info

@SD08 wrote:

Yes, unless things have changed recently, the default settings for community accounts are:

1.  A user is automatically subscribed to any topics that they participate in. 

2.  Any subscribed topic automatically generates an e-mail with any reply, including edits.

Thanks.  That's how I thought it worked, but I wasn't too familar with it because I have had all those e-mail messages disabled since day 1.

Why would anyone want these?  LIke I said, it would be "just wonderful" to get a couple hundred e-mail messages every day.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mike7095sk wrote:

Hey guys, as I have started participating in the community more, I get notifications to my email when someone replied in the tread. This is very handy. 

I get 2 emails every notification, I get one and then a minute or so later I get the same notifications.

what gives?

I really would have asssumed that most people turn off these e-mail messages from the community.  I never really paid any attention to subscribing to threads, except to say that the community system likely subscribes people as soon as you participate in a thread (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  

Yes, unless things have changed recently, the default settings for community accounts are:

1.  A user is automatically subscribed to any topics that they participate in. 

2.  Any subscribed topic automatically generates an e-mail with any reply, including edits.

However, the default settings can be changed for either 1 or 2 separately here:

Settings -> Subscriptions & Notifications -> Notification Settings

The settings I've highlighted with arrows below tend to generate the most e-mails, though you may wish to change others as well, especially the bravo notifications if you intend to participate regularly.   Remember to click "save" at the bottom after changing the settings.

PMCNotificationSettings.jpg

mike7095sk

thanks i will check it out

@mike7095sk wrote:

what gives?

I think that you'll soon see these e-mail notices about how someone replied to thread to be an extreme annoyance. I can't think of any reason someone would want to receive e-mail messages every single time someone posts a new message.  As stated earlier, it will also send you message even if someone make an edit to a post - through no fault of the person making the change -  pure silliness!

I think that your duplicate messages could be a community glitch, or as aI said, it could be that someone editted a posted message.

Really, I can't see why someone would want to subscribe to a thread, or to receive any of these e-mail messages unless it is a thread that you created yourself, specifically asking for assistance or seeking an answer to a question.

I really would have asssumed that most people turn off these e-mail messages from the community.  I never really paid any attention to subscribing to threads, except to say that the community system likely subscribes people as soon as you participate in a thread (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  I could just seee someone receiving a few hundred e-mail messages about every single new post in each thread that was subscribed to.

@mike7095sk You can manage email notifications by clicking on your avatar; top right on this page under My Account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mike7095sk

Yes every time I see 2 posts. I will look in more detail to see if there is a slight difference 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mike7095sk Are you consistently seeing this?  If not, what a lot of people don't realize is that when you edit a post, it sends out a new notification to everyone subscribed to the thread.  It could appear to be identical but may actually contain a few small corrections if you look more closely.  The other thing is that if someon mentions you by tagging (like I have done in this message), IIRC you get an email about the reply and a separate email that you were mentioned.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.