Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

DavidNS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@@Dave_M while you say "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today."  With all due respect, if by a "good thing" being $120 for a 90 day plan per the fall 2016 promo, I hate to break it to you, but unless Telus wants to go through this again  its not going to be ever as long as people pay their bills.  I have archived the post regarding "no surprises" and other web archiving sites have saved the post.   I'm sure others have as well, and I'll tell you straight up no chaser:  If you try this again, I'll do everyting legally possible to make sure that choice is as painful as possible for Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile.

It's not about the money.  Its about the principle of doing business in good faith, and this just reeked of a money grab.  Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile have lost a lot of faith and trust in people, myself included, who believe in doing business in good faith.  The apology and the text I just received is very boiler plate business speak that in my opinion has no sincerity, more of a "oh sh*t, we got caught!  damage control mode NOW!"

Fortunately for me alternatives have been brought to my attention that are competetive with Public Mobile / Koodo / Telus that will allow me to vote with my dollars and move to another company.  I will be watching closely how Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile treat those who proactively left Public Mobile for what seems to be an inferior plan at the same price point (Koodo's) to cast my vote.

In the meantime, I'm sorry that Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile isn't going to be able to brag about increased profits at our expense, but on a good side maybe its time to buy shares on the impending dip.  Since Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile thought it was great idea to make money at my expense, maybe I should try to make a little money at theirs.

Lukedurward
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Protest it.

@Charanth182, on the contrary, with Bell starting Lucky Mobile, and Rogers continued support of ChatR, I think Public Mobile will still be around.  Currently, it’s the only non-zone 3rf tier carrier brand, and even if the eventual 3G speed only happens, it’s still a good deal to be here, and truly the best of the bunch at this time.

Its the advertising that needs to be fixed, and probably a better customer service dedication plan.

Aizzy79
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Dave,

I am very disappointed. I was a long term Public customer and I switched to Koodo yesterday. I lost $120 that I had paid on Feb 12 for the next 90 days of my Public subscription. On top of it my price went up by switching to Koodo as I was paying $37 per month. 

Had I known my Public price was not going up I would have stayed and not switched to Koodo.

I would like to be paid back the $120 on a prorated basis. Please let me know how to get in touch with you privately and I can provide my information to you.

AA

litlkitty

i am so mad. I just chang to koodo today. I want my plan!

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

TOO Little, TOO Late

xoy74

Personally I wouldn't have a problem switching at the end of the billing cycle (which for me started just last Sunday).

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dave_M

Well I just got home from a Koodo mobile store, after having switched plans.

As my wife and I pulled into the driveway we got the text you were leaving well enough alone.

Great. 

Lost my referrals and I am guessing we could not even get that plan back if I wanted to.

Thanks.. 

Shaolin23

@harkerbwrote:

WE WIN! Great job submitting those complaints. 

No consumer wins in this marketplace. Public Mobile had a real chance here to be the product that people have be waiting for for years - instead, they took all of their organically built customer support and love and threw it back it the customer's faces. 

The amazingly short-sighted person up the chain who pulled the trigger on this decision should re-evaluate their life choices and goals, because turning your entire customer base against you in one feld swoop is a feat that is almost impossible to achieve. Congratulations!

You've tainted your brand forever, and destroyed your entire customer base's trust with one text message. I'll use your product, but never forget this action, and will leave your company as soon as another halfway comparable offer from a competitor becomes available.

Also, Koodoo's $7.00 per 100mb cost is a virtual poke in the eye. Consumers won't put up with this for much longer.

Litvinau_A

Dear @Dave_M please DM me asap! I have already switched to koodo today because i didn't want to get charged on my renewal date in few days, and now i want to be back with all my rewards gained up to date. Thank you.

Kojackbaby

Thank you Sir. You have renewed my faith in corporate listening to its customers. I was about to file with CCTS when went on forum. Thank you again.

Brian

Ghazal1112

I have ordered a new SIM card from Koodo due to the text I received about the plan increase. Can I be reimbursed as I don’t want to switch to Koodo, I felt like I was forced to jump ship due to the unexpected “surprise” 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Great news!! Until the prices go up again in the future. 

guinness22

You did the right thing today we are working people that need basic services for fare price from Hugh phone company.

empyr3al

"Just not today" ... I suppose you mean it will happen on the 15th still.  I see what you did there 😉

PM you caused some insanity here and quite a bit of anger.  I spent months working out the kinks for my father and myself using the forum just to get this deal ironed out in the first place.  I've been loyal to public mobile even with the texts sent out in the past.  Last September you sent one out trying to coerce us to Koodo and that seemed fishy at the time.  This time I saw right through the bulls*it.  I have a couple theories and instinctual impressions of the PM/Koodo/Telus hierarchy and the incentive to push low $ people to higher price planes.  Assuming you have a ton of $40 dollar people used to not using tech support.  Assuming the clients stay the same, every dollar you can squeeze out of us through manipulating us is profitable until it bites back.  The disgusting feeling that I've been manipulated by the Telus conglomerate taints it all across the board.  If you didn't step back in your intentions I was fully prepared to leave the Telus group all together.  

W0507636

Oh so happy I don't have to move all the family, thank you for changing back. I manage all our non tech savvy family members plus my niece who we will always keep on a prepaid plan. I will say thank you for keeping our Public Mobile family together. I would more than willingly switch to Koodo prepaid if there is anyway to make that happen.

lexcyn

@Ludditewrote:

@lexcyn Yes, I too think it just a matter of time before a price increase with "enough" notice. Tough choice.

Yeah ... my SIM is in the mail so I have 3-5 days to decide, I guess!

saje_ward

I'm curious to know why they are so keen to move us over to koodo? The Koodo plan is a slightly better plan given that it has Canada wide calling. Hubby and I never go over 4g/m anyhow so it's really all the same to me...if I had not just renewed our two PM plans 3 days ago!!

So we are pleased to see the $120/90/12G plan stay the way it is, but can't see why we wouldn't be equally happy with Koodo (we have less than $5 worth of credit between us, though we do both do autopay).

@pakmodewrote:

And....I just received the text message:

Public Mobile here. We will not be moving forward with the March 20th price increase on your plan. See https://koo.do/CommunityUpdate for more details. We are happy to let you know that the Koodo offer remains available to you! You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

PUBLIC should STOP KOODO Text Jump Nonsense, I feel it will lead to Public being torn apart, and the Mockery of everything. @Dave_M@Shazia_K@Mary_M@MarieHelene_L@Saray_O, I Beg you, Just STOP the Koodo Text Switch thing, I feel Telus is playing some kind of game here, and I don't LIKE how they're Toying with PM Clients, feels like the Carrot and the Stick thing, and IT's NO LONGER Funny.

PLUS, ALL THESE Changes, like this Ready-Made Plan and 3G Stuff, it will eventually cause a rippling effect that will cause PPL to either go mad, or create such a Muck, that it might cause PM to become Irrelevant

These are NOT the kind of Changes I would have preferred, These changes are more like Obtuse, and beyond the Nightmare scenario.

jtchurren

Thank you!

BEST

@Dave_M

"While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. "

What does this mean?

Are you implying that you will try to go against your word and increase the price again at a later date?

Why do good things have to come to an end, why can't you keep the plan that I paid for under the promise given to me that the plan would stay?

@lexcyn Yes, I too think it just a matter of time before a price increase with "enough" notice. Tough choice.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

slavitch

I just got it.

financialguy

I received the follow up text retracting the increase at 8:29pm

fathom

Kudos to Telus for backtracking

Public Mobile here. We will not be moving forward with the March 20th price increase on your plan. See https://koo.do/CommunityUpdate for more details. We are happy to let you know that the Koodo offer remains available to you! You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

Sergey

We won because we were together!!!

lexcyn

@Ludditewrote:

@lexcynwrote:

So umm... what if we already went and ordered the plan through Koodo? Can we undo the switch? My plan still seems active and not ported so I'm assuming I can just cancel it?

Hussle and send message to the moderators. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation.

Contact Koodo too, but the real issue will be getting your money back from Koodo.

Good luck.

Well I don't mind being out $15 if it means I can stay with this plan. Although, really, if PM pulled this now, what's to say they won't do this again but give us more notice. Kind of torn.

melsbells

Yay! Thank you to everyone for their efforts submitting official complaints and putting social media heat on Public Mobile to reverse the move to increase our plans by $10 a month. Great news!

alby905

Finally some common sense. I don’t know how you guys come up with this stuff but understand. It affects people’s lives and also we are the customer. Let you learn most of us where going to dig ourselves in and fight this. Second most where not going to take your bribe money to jump ship. We will go to your competitors. 

@lexcynwrote:

So umm... what if we already went and ordered the plan through Koodo? Can we undo the switch? My plan still seems active and not ported so I'm assuming I can just cancel it?

Hussle and send message to the moderators. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation.

Contact Koodo too, but the real issue will be getting your money back from Koodo.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.