cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

95% of Data Reached

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So today I got a message saying I was at 75% of data and I thought that was weird last time I looked I hadn't even used 6gb of the 12 I have.  20 minutes later I get a text saying I am at 95%.  I log in to self serve and it says I have used 11,725 mb and I am thinking that is way off.  So tonight I go through the 130 pages online of my accounta nd come up with 5,125 mb used as per the logs with I would say somewhere around 50 MMS data events how does this add up to 11.7 GB and do it so fast when i was just at not even 6.  Has anyone else had this experience.  Can a MOD look deeper into this if so I will PM one just wondering what others have found.  Some will say get a data tracker app.  Well I run a Windows Phone so the android option isn't available to me.

Any Ideas?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

21 REPLIES 21

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some apps, like Netflix, allow you to set a download quality limit.  I watched a 4k video on my phone.  Yikes.  Anyway, look in the app's settings and you can prevent this.   I have found these settings in music streaming apps too.   

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It'd be a good idea to download a data counter service from your software store.  It provides a good first place to find out where the data is being allocated.

As for the jump, I'd agree that it's huge.  I find that the data usgae is typically updated in my account every 12 - 24 hours or so.  From my experience, my background apps (play store) had been eating a lot of data.  About 150 mbs per day sometimes just refreshing.

I always make sure that any updates are only done through wifi.  There's some settings on the android and apple phones that lets you control how updates are done (mobile data or wifi).  I am sure there must be similar options on your phone.

Otherwise, I would message the mods and continue to take a close look at the updates.

Best of luck,

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, since you're on Windows Phone, you should have a look in Settings > Network & Wireless > Data usage (in WM10) to see if there's any useful information in there.

jpar

@More_Chaos wrote:
Have you tried to check the data usage on your phone via your phone settings? I have a Blackberry Z30 and a OnePlus 2, and both phones let me set my billing cycle, data limit (and adjust when to warn me), as well as see my data usage breakdown per app. My OnePlus 2 even further tells me my data usage with my provider vs via wi-fi since my last OS update (it runs on Android's Marshmallow).

I'm running on the assumption that all phones have some sort of data monitoring function in their settings.

This is a good idea - checking it against your phone data tracking should give you a better idea of what's going on, and it will show what apps used up data. 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I must have had something updating because it says I used 6583mb yesterday on selfserve.  Funny I have used my phone as a hotspot for a movie and never used that much and had it on for 25 minutes or so yesterday morning and it uses 6.5GB

It could have been a rogue app going nuts.  I recall somebody complaining on the Plex reddit  once that the Plex app used up some RIDICULOUS amount of data overnight, as part of the photo sync if I recall.  It was bonkers.  

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Have you tried to check the data usage on your phone via your phone settings? I have a Blackberry Z30 and a OnePlus 2, and both phones let me set my billing cycle, data limit (and adjust when to warn me), as well as see my data usage breakdown per app. My OnePlus 2 even further tells me my data usage with my provider vs via wi-fi since my last OS update (it runs on Android's Marshmallow).

I'm running on the assumption that all phones have some sort of data monitoring function in their settings.

KK
Watch out for 4K videos. They eat up massive data. Even some youtube videos are 4K.

Shutdown

He says he watches movies with his data just look at netflix

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

7gb/h on ultra HD can easily eat up his data.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thats an unusually large update.  Typical software update to a new version is around 1 to 1.5 GB.  

Do you have music/pics/videos etc stored in the cloud that may be restoring/syncing?  

Its not surprising to see yesterday's usage show up this morning.  It can take a day for the selferve to display the detailed usage history.  

I must have had something updating because it says I used 6583mb yesterday on selfserve.  Funny I have used my phone as a hotspot for a movie and never used that much and had it on for 25 minutes or so yesterday morning and it uses 6.5GB

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Only 4783.453  /  12288 MB here with 7 days left...maybe I should start live streaming or something...did enable Google Photos sync that used up some.

All very good suggestions but none of it is showing in my selfserve as usage.  I was on it for like 25 minutes this morning and use 6gb?

Shutdown

I don't know about windows phone but windows 10 on PC used to have a default setting where it uses your network to upload updates to other people like torrent seeding, well exactly the same I think. I'd check to make sure windows phone does not do that too in settings.

I dont know anything about windows phones but is it possible that as waas mentionned something is eating data in the background, because surfing doesnt devore all those data

I thought *maybe* it was a smaller amount.  I should have reread your original post before hitting post lol

@stonechuckerit does show 12gb but that is good thinking but it does show my usage  11.752GB

Just to confirm, does your self serve show 6 or 12 GB data addon?  Mine shows 12, as an addon, I'm on the Fall Promo plan also.

@imm1304  I will private Message Shazia with a link to this thread  instead of typing it all again.

Data Sense isn't available with W10M I wish it was.  Yeah including the data the selfserve showed for today it came up to 5.125 GB and when it went from 75%-95% in 20 minutes I was doing a 10 questions customer satisfaction survey so I don't think that was using up all the data

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @ShawnC13!

This is extremely rare.  PM data counter is usually spot on.  However, it doesn't mean it may not have malfunctioned. 

The MMS events do not count towards your data allowance.  

Lets get the mods to look into this in the morning. 

Just make sure your phone isnt updating on mobile data.  Also, data counter app isnt really necessary because PM counter can generally be relied upon.  The built in data counter in your phone settings can also help give a rough estimate even if its on monthly setup. 

echf

Windows Phone bulid-in a data tracking called Data Sense (Not sure is it still included in WM10).

You can also check your data usage in detail in self-serve (Plan and addon -> usage history). BTW Make sure it is not windows update's fault, you can file a claim to Microsoft LOL.

Need Help? Let's chat.