Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6GB for $40 now being offered for Koodo switch

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just got a text 6GB for $40

GOKOODO406GB

ublic Mobile here. Con: A deal this good won't last too long. Pro: 6GB for $40. That's right, an extra 2GB! We're all about giving you choice, so if you're craving more data for the same price, join Koodo by March 15. Get 6GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month plus you may qualify for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. And get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for . Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO406GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

475 REPLIES 475

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marsbar I understand the referal issue, if you had done it yesterday you should have locked in the 100.

I still don't understand why you are not able to order a sim and promo plan with a new number using the promo code and then port in your number. That is exactly what I did for my second account.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mimmo I haven't done anything yet. Just got the referral credit set up with my referrer (mother-in-law) $25 credit as the $100 links even now say $25 (I checked of the users that had the link up here and they all say $25 on click through even though their message on this forum I clicked using says $100, Koodo now says the amount will be $25). So I'd rather get my MIL $25 off her bill instead of someone who might have already hit their $300 cap.

Trying to figure out if I can even get a SIM from Koodo online for free now, but the PM-SIM-0 code doesn't work anymore when I try to order the SIM online now. Also I see this Heads-Up message:

"Heads Up! Due to the high number of recent orders, your phone may take 10 business days or more to be processed. Sit tight! We're working as fast as we can."

which makes me wonder if I'll even be able to get everything done by the March 15th deadline. Debating just going into the closest store on my lunch break tomorrow to grab a SIM. Hopefully, they can do it faster than online and have SIMs in store for me to grab one (even if it then can't be free).

Wondering if this means a horrible migration experience for me.... 😞 Almost debating not doing it at all if it weren't for that $100 bill credit.

My fault, I shouldn't have left ordering a SIM until this late.

mimmo

@marsbar why would you miss out?

Order online and you get the promo plan and simply port when it arrives.  If you filled out a 100$ referal you will get that.

Now if you are talking about porting and doing a self referal that is another issue.  That is why over the weekend I went instore activated and ported my wife's account and used that account to refer my other account, and also give out a couple referals.

Also which bill credit are you referring to the refer a friend or the one that is part of the plan.  The first one would go to 25 I think, as you didn't do it online. The second is part of the migration offer do it can't be taken away

marsbar

like for example whether the bill credit of $100 goes away if I activate in a store.

Also really annoyed how Koodo now says that my SIM might not arrive for 10 business days which means I lose out on the $40/6GB deal because I waited too long. Now I'm worried if I go into the store to get a SIM for free...will I even get the $100 bill credit?

mimmo

What are you looking for?

@marsbarwrote:

If you can find them! I can't

marsbar

If you can find them! I can't

It almost suggests that consumers need to prepare themselves for these opportunities by buying these SIM cards from each carrier, lol.

I kinda suspect that the arbitrarily short duration on these "limited-time" offers was deliberately designed to induce panic and bring customers into the Koodo stores, face-to-face with the Koodo reps.  What is spoken across the counter is far more pressing (and circumstantial) than what is written online (where customers have nearly-instant access to all the information and all the competitor offerings, literally at their fingertips).

chawnsy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Agree. This ordeal on my transition from Public to Koodo has been incredibly frustrating, but their staff have been remarkably helpful. However, the deal isn't just for NEW customers. I'm currently a Koodo customer for my work number: I have an account number, login, credit card and mailing address, etc. I linked this promo to my existing account and was offered the promo through Public, NOT as a new client.

It's a bit ironic really; I left Koodo for Public originally. I missed the great customer service, but the deal provided by Public was too good to pass up. Similarly, the transition back from Public to Koodo (coupled with the $100 credit) made it more cost effective for me to switch to Koodo again for (at least) nearly 2 years. It also helps that my work SIM is currently with Koodo as well.

Now the drawbacks: the sim card came late, meaning my activation was delayed until beyond my expiration of my current Public plan. Then of course, there was the issue that the SIM had arrived before ever being activated, so I had to wait on the phone for over an hour while the rep activated the sim. This in turn gave me a "Dummy" cell number, rather than the port I was promised. I was told that the port would be handled without a hitch since all companies were under the Telus umbrella.

I am now back on the phone with Koodo after several attempts to port it and the rep has apologized and is finally taking charge, but not before several attempts. Really pisses me off and this whole switch to Koodo thing was an absolutel blunder. But their reps seem to be having an issue with collaborating with Public too. Just a full blown "how not to migrate a client base 101"

imm1304

Hey @Hmm,

It has been a frustrating experience for several people who migrated to Koodo.  The actual migration deal itself changed at least 3 times as well.  Some people I talked to felt that Koodo punished them for being co-operative and migrate with the first offer.  Because those who ignored the first offers got a much better $40/6GB deal.  Anyways, the people I talked to have all called Koodo and were easily given the latest $40/6GB deal without any hassle.  

The $100 referral promo was really brief and possibly designed to be that way so that fewer people would be able to take advantage of it.  😞 

Those migrating during the $100 referral promo did get the $100 referrals as long as they found an existing Koodo customer ... which was pretty easy with so many referral links in this community.  But there was simply no time for them to receive the sim via mail and then refer others.

My advice would be to call Koodo and let them know how you feel.  They appear to be treating the new customers fairly well as far as I can tell.  

Hmm

@Ludditewrote:

Sorry, the Koodo referral rewards are NOT part of the PM to Koodo offer. They are available to every new Koodo customer on any post-paid plan

Yes, that's technically correct if you look at it from that angle.

However,  each customer who migrates over from PM is a new customer and subscribing to a post paid plan ($40/6GB). 

Hmm

@stonechuckerwrote:

The fee for a SIM card is outright made up.  You can not connect a cell phone with out a SIM card.

Therefore the SIM should be no cost.

Agreed...but like anything, unless there is some legislation disallowing this tactic, the carriers here will continue to rape consumers. Furthermore, old SIM cards might have expired rendering them useless. Again, another cash cow for the carriers.

Sorry, the Koodo referral rewards are NOT part of the PM to Koodo offer. They are available to every new Koodo customer on any post-paid plan. Koodo has a history of dramatic short offers both to new and current customers.

Only the "select" PM customers are eligible for the 6 gig $40 plan; no other new customers are eligible.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

The fee for a SIM card is outright made up.  You can not connect a cell phone with out a SIM card.

Therefore the SIM should be no cost.

Hmm

It's not only the  exhuberant SIM charge cost hey're charging but also how they're handling the referral process. 

To get the $100 you have to activate your plan online. Which means you already have to have the SIM card. There's glitches that happen all the time as well, especially with this migration offer if doing it yourself vs in-store.

I'm really choked at how Koodo (which prides themselves on great customer service) would go this route. Then they change the amount down to $50...and maybe back to the orignal $25 for referrals. They're messing with us and I can't help feel  being "victimized" and cheated with all these changes and technicalities.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Hmmwrote:

With this kind of tactic, I remain skeptical that Koodo won't do something really harsh with their $40/6GB plan. Of course, I suspect things to be worse for PM customers who choose not to jump ship when given the opportunity to do so.

A fair attitude.

I blame these wild inconsistencies on a lack of preparation and coordination between PM and Koodo.  The whole botched-promo-and-migration campaign seemed to be very ad-hoc and improvised (revised) on the fly.  PM "oops, that blunder cost us a lot, fix it Right Now", Koodo "salvage customer loyalty with this improv promo schedule Right Now" ... but to be fair, the whole brouhaha was only three weeks ago, it seems like they've finally got things sorted out, they've finally got all the PM refugees on board and set sail, these last offers are meant to capture the stragglers and holdouts and it's a compelling enough deal that high-data users should jump on board without hesitation, even if it means they've gotta pay for a stupid SIM card, lol.

Hmm

Yup. As a last resort that's all we can do.  But we should continue to try though, at least several time.

Koodo is also becoming quite ridiculous in regards to changing the referral amounts. I heard now it's down to $50. They obviously don't realize they're ticking off a lot of people in changing this unnecessarily and so frequently. 

With this kind of tactic, I remain skeptical that Koodo won't do something really harsh with their $40/6GB plan. Of course, I suspect things to be worse for PM customers who choose not to jump ship when given the opportunity to do so.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Well then you've just got to suck up the SIM card cost as part of the package deal.  I've always hated SIM card costs - it's like paying extra to obtain the ignition key so you can drive your new car off the sales lot.  But I can understand charging a nominal fee, PM used to give out free SIM cards and that was abused by too many people too often to prove sustainable.  And, of course, adding a $10-$20 surcharge to each new migration/activation makes people less inclined to constantly keep looking for a better deal somewhere else.  Compare vs USA providers which routinely refund/waive SIM card costs (without you even needing to ask) to remain competitive.

Hmm

Thanks for the info.

Given this current migration offer. The stores don't care if you walk away. Perhaps they're bluffing but the general attitude is they don't care. One particular store say they have 45+ people a day. I dont know if this is just migration customers or overall. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Telus SIM card = $10+tax retail, $15+tax online ("$5 shipping fee")

Koodo SIM card = $15+tax retail

PM SIM card = $10+tax retail/online

PM used to refund the SIM card cost (towards account balance) after activation, not sure if they still do this.

Telus and Koodo will sometimes waive their SIM card fees acter activation, especially if they're signing on new customers or they're signing on high-ARPU customers (with large Tabs, premium smartphones, high data consumption).  They'll automatically charge you for the SIM card at point of purchase - unless making a point of you understanding they won't charge you is what sweetens the deal enough to close the sale - but they might still reverse the charge (or pay against it with some other one-time "gift"/bonus) at their discretion after you've signed on, if you ask.

Basically they'll be willing to "lose" a little money on the SIM card itself if it's a necessary component for them to make more money from long-term SIM-activated service.  SIM cards cost about $0.25 each in bulk, maybe as much as $2 each after branding and enumeration and controlled distribution, etc ... they're not really "losing" ten or fifteen bucks when they magnanimously say "tell ya what I can do" and waive the price, they're passing up the chance to milk that ten bucks off you to gain your loyalty and ongoing business.

The only "technique" you need to know is the usual negotiation rule: you will simply walk away (towards a competitor) if your bottom line cannot be obtained.  Remember that as the customer you always have intrinsic value while negotiating with the vendor, it's not one-sided.  But also be reasonable, don't throw away a killer offer while quibbling over ten bucks, lol.

Hmm

@kav2001cwrote:

@Hmmwrote:

Officially (by calling Koodo directly) they now tell you must pay the SIM card fee. 

Rules were always diff for existing migration though

They do have internal documentation but again many csr are not trained that well

What are some techniques we can use to contact Koodo CSR and get he SIM card fee waived after we already paid for it?

Alvito
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recieved a phone call from 14162217738, claiming to be doing a follow up with the text message they sent about the Koodo deal. He told me the plan is exactly the same but with 2gb more. I told him I wasn't interested.

A text. A call. What's next? Are they going to send someone to my front door?

I'm not interested in switching my plan. Thanks.

@Hmmwrote:

Officially (by calling Koodo directly) they now tell you must pay the SIM card fee. 

Rules were always diff for existing migration though

They do have internal documentation but again many csr are not trained that well

Hmm

@kav2001cwrote:

Officially Koodo never charged for SIM cards for migration plans

But it seems stores smell a quick buck and are all over it now

Plus I am guessing the numbers are depleting stock faster than normal so they are trying to make it difficult anyways (eg show me the txt)

Hmm

Misinformation dude. Stores are not budging on the SIM card fee. You can try contacting Koodo CS but don't expect much. If anything, if you upgrade to a new device, the store might waive the SIM card fee. 

@srlawren online is for shipping too assumably

Koodo stores were given direction long ago to provide SIMs for free (Chatr / Fido are same, presumably Rogers should be as well) when migrating prepay to postpaid

I suspect most stores are charging for SIMs simply because they can

(Plus less abuse and more valid activations that way)

@srlawrenwrote:

@kav2001c where are you getting that info from?  The online portal makes you pay the $15+tax for the SIM card, which is not the stores making a quick buck.  

srlawren

@kav2001cwrote:

Plus I am guessing the numbers are depleting stock faster than normal so they are trying to make it difficult anyways (eg show me the txt)

@kav2001c where are you getting that info from?  The online portal makes you pay the $15+tax for the SIM card, which is not the stores making a quick buck.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hmm

Let me know Smiley Happy

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Foxjig1wrote:

It's unfair from telus first they make us pay for PM Sim and now for Koodo. Since they want us to move they should cover the Sim for such migrations. Moreover cost of manufacturing sims is less than $.0.03 why they want to Mint Money on this when they already can with disloyal customers from PM( who choose to leave) . 

You can always stay with pm and save the SIM card cost. Nobody is being forced to move.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korthwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

Koodo store no problem to give free sim

@mimmowrote:

The kiosk I went to would not. 

I recall a PM community member recently suggesting customers should go to Telus-owned Koodo stores (which are more interested in attracting long-term Telus business), not to franchise-operated Koodo stores (which tend to be more driven by immediate costs and profits).

I also recall a free-Koodo SIM card promo code being mentioned somewhere.

PM-SIM-0

But most don't need it anymore. I would explore non-Koodo stores as they have better deals on some phones. I essentially got my Galaxy A5 for free from Walmart. I think the only reason I would activate at a Koodo store/kiosk is... well, I don't have one.

Need Help? Let's chat.