cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4YR Contracts

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Those stand up comics at Bell are at it again Cat LOL

Blaming weak Canadian dollar + expensive phones for reason all prices are so much

So to offset they made a submission to CRTC to allow 4 year contracts now

http://business.financialpost.com/telecom/affordable-option-or-investment-killer-new-types-of-mobile...

19 REPLIES 19

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
  1. @kav2001c Thanks for the article. I’m disgusted at the thought of four year contracts suggested by Bell, but you know what’s worst? In that same article it says Rogers wants give vouchers to subsidizes services for low income customers... so they can charge more to those who aren’t low income. You know those vouchers will probably get worked into some sort of tax writeoff, and in the end it’s all about profits.

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Number one is you can use the device anywhere, it's yours. Number two it's not an interest free loan because the price is worked into the plan, similar to how carmakers offer 0% financing but in reality a small amount of interest is worked into the price of the vehicle. Look at it this way: with Fido, for instance, and I was with them for years, you basically pay $15 more today, without any phone subsidy, for the same kind of voice and data features you could have had just a year ago! They streamlined their tab options but don't be naive to think you're not paying for the time it takes to pay off the phone. Everything is worked in no such thing as a free lunch.

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Contracts are helpful if both parties benefit. Clearly here there is only benefactor and it's Bell. The reality is if wireless carriers want to save money they should stop subsidizing phones. They do it just so that they can lock a customer to them by the balls but the reality is they should take the approach like a lot of operators in Europe where they are solely BYOP. With the price of the latest generation of smart phones approaching $1,500 (i.e. iPhone X) how much can they really afford to subsidize? The time has come for carriers to get out of the handset business altogether.

jeffster1970

Problem is that most, if not all, carriers give poor discounts for the BYOD clients. $10/month discount isn't worth the $500 subsidy you'd otherwise get. Only benefit is the ability to move to other carriers whenever for whatever reason. That, or if you truly don't care for the latest phone. Someone happy with a Moto E4 benefits, someone wanting the S8 or iPhone 8 doesn't. 

Audit13

From a consumer point of view, I am not interested in pricey contacts or pricey phones. I'm perfectly fine with spending a few hundred dollars to buy an unlocked phone. 

From a shareholder point of view, I would be in favour selling pricey phones on pricey contacts. 

Whatever happens, I don't think everyone will be happy.

@Luddite that is the other side of the coin; have you noticed how many very aggressive activation promos are on now? People are getting $500, $600 to lock into 2 year plans with hardware

Once on contract most will not port even if phone is unlocked

As long as PM is not selling phones, the rest can do whatever they want. At least, going forward from Dec 1 every phone should be unlocked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kayfun101

Contracts are meaningless and people are starting too wake up and smell the coffee here and there taking the blue pill not the red one to go back too being normal so it’s time too stand up and say no too the big 3 buggy men and buy out right saving money too afford a phone is no big deal just got too work til you have your goal 

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MoreYummy wrote:

They hit the profit ceiling, and need to find ways to subsidy high end phone without make the plan more expensive.  

We can ask public mobile to ask telus why.  Smiley Happy

@MoreYummy,

I don't think they will give you an answer. 🙂

They hit the profit ceiling, and need to find ways to subsidy high end phone without make the plan more expensive.  

We can ask public mobile to ask telus why.  Smiley Happy

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am its a free phone on a subsidized account, or an interest free loan on a tab amount

Why would you want to pay a large amount upfront for a device?

@will13am wrote:

Never mind $10, the real amount that should be given for BYOD is the  monthly subsidy amount which is usually $20 to $30.  I just don't get the fascination with carrier devices.  

@kav2001c, I don't want to pay a large amount for any hardware.  My point was that buried in those very expensive share data plans is a good $20-30 of hardware related costs.  To be cost neutral to those people bringing their own hardware, the plan costs should be $20-30 less per month, not a mere $10.  

If you follow the topics related to hardware you will see my less than favorable view towards carrier phones.  It's the root of all evil as far as cellular service is concerned.  The carrier phones tend to be overpriced and terrible value.  With the deep integration of service and hardware into a package price, it tends to cause people to buy more hardware than they can really afford.  Personally, I like to buy hardware from non carrier sources to keep costs reasonable.  For the price of one iPhone, I can buy new hardware for the entire family for less.  

@will13am its a free phone on a subsidized account, or an interest free loan on a tab amount

Why would you want to pay a large amount upfront for a device?

@will13am wrote:

Never mind $10, the real amount that should be given for BYOD is the  monthly subsidy amount which is usually $20 to $30.  I just don't get the fascination with carrier devices.  

Michael77

Do you really think it's the hardware? If the big 3's cost for the phones was only $50, they would still come up with a reason to charge their customers higher prices for the plans. They used to give 10% discounts to the people who brought their own devices. What happened to that discount? Most carriers have taken that away. It's all about their bottom line. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I blame customers to a degree for causing this.  If people would learm to shop for hardware separate from service, it would never come down to this.  If people cannot afford to buy hardware outright, then shop for something more affordable. 

Michael77

The big 3 are at it again. Like they don't already make enough money. We need more competition. I hope the Federal Government doesn't give in to them.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

well if you want a $1300 phone maybe that is the only way to get a "resonable" plan.

jeffster1970

@Wonder_why wrote:

@kav2001c no way I am ever going to sign a 4 year contract again, I don't even sign 2 year Cat Happy I buy my own device over 10 years

Over 10 years??? 

Still, surprised anyone would lock in for 4 years....though I suppose if the subisdy is high enough.  

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kav2001c no way I am ever going to sign a 4 year contract again, I don't even sign 2 year Cat Happy I buy my own device over 10 years

Need Help? Let's chat.