cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G plans?

LeafLife
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey is there a list of prices for 4G data plans? I think I got a 3G plane? Anyone notice a difference going from 4G to 3G?

17 REPLIES 17

Van778

There are no longer any build your own plans. 3G is pretty much it, unless you want that one loney, no-phone/no-text/low-data option.

Van778

There are no longer any build your own plans offered on the website.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 my bad, good point, I was just thinking of the ready made plans since those offer the better price options.  Thanks for correcting me.

There's actually a lot more than just the 4.  You have the choice of 30- or 90-day service, Province Wide, Canada-Wide, or Canada & US unlimited talk, International SMS & MMS, and the choice of 500mb, 1 GB, 4 GB, or 6 GB on 30--day plans, or 1.5 GB, 3, 6, 9 or 15 GB on the 90-day cycles (note 90-day cycles are all data/entire 90-days).

@dna2016 wrote:

@LeafLife unfortunately there are no more voice/text/4G data plans.  The only 4G plan is on the "data only" for $30.  PM has decided to not offer 4G, since they are the low tier of their sister companies Koodoo & Telus.  Basically their saying if you want the super fast speeds then you'll need to look at their larger sister companies, and of course pay a bit more for that so called "top tier service".  

I went from a 4G to 3G, at first I was a bit skeptical because I was quite happy with my 4G speed.  But figured I give the 3G speed a try to save myself $15 a month, the cost to me was worth the change.  And to my surprise the 3G LTE speed was actually pretty comparable to the 4G I had previously.  Yes it was a little bit slower but not slow enough to be disappointed about, I was actually surprised how fast the 3G actually was.  

My opinion, if you think the cost is worth the change, then definitely make the change.  If money is not an issue then maybe go to the sister companies for 4G service.  Keep in mind I don't do a lot of streaming on my phone data (I mostly use Wifi for streaming), so maybe that will be the major breaker for you.  For the minimal streaming that I do on my phone data it's pretty good.

There's currently 4 options with 4G in the Build Your Plan section.

@dna2016 wrote:

@LeafLife unfortunately there are no more voice/text/4G data plans. 

@dna2016  if you go in to the build your own plans there are quite a few LTE data options with voice and text.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LeafLife unfortunately there are no more voice/text/4G data plans.  The only 4G plan is on the "data only" for $30.  PM has decided to not offer 4G, since they are the low tier of their sister companies Koodoo & Telus.  Basically their saying if you want the super fast speeds then you'll need to look at their larger sister companies, and of course pay a bit more for that so called "top tier service".  

I went from a 4G to 3G, at first I was a bit skeptical because I was quite happy with my 4G speed.  But figured I give the 3G speed a try to save myself $15 a month, the cost to me was worth the change.  And to my surprise the 3G LTE speed was actually pretty comparable to the 4G I had previously.  Yes it was a little bit slower but not slow enough to be disappointed about, I was actually surprised how fast the 3G actually was.  

My opinion, if you think the cost is worth the change, then definitely make the change.  If money is not an issue then maybe go to the sister companies for 4G service.  Keep in mind I don't do a lot of streaming on my phone data (I mostly use Wifi for streaming), so maybe that will be the major breaker for you.  For the minimal streaming that I do on my phone data it's pretty good.

LeafLife

Your response makes me feel like 🤯🤯🤯 Lol 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicLove wrote:

@Dunkmanwhat is the benefit of LTE/4G/3G? Is it really all just speed related?

LTE and 4G are really the same. The "3G" here is actually the LTE throttled down to so-called 3G speeds or actually 3mbps. Yes the full LTE would be faster. But for the usual mobile browsing needs it's generally plenty adequate if not unnoticable.

At Public Mobile if you have a LTE phone that is compatible with PM, then you are actually using LTE mode by default.. but throtled at 3Mbps.

If you don't have a LTE phone but is using a phone that is still compatible with PM's network.. then you are using the network at 3G unthrottled (works out to be a bit faster than LTE throttled).

Now to achieve fastest speed depends on which LTE modem your phone has, the latest ones are LTE Category 16. If you have that eg an iPhone XS and have full speed LTE; You can suck down a huge amount of data in an ideal condition eg outside on the steps of Union station where I tried at the expense of battery. So to achieve peak performance you need the network AND the phone that are both capable of achieving max speed.

It is not speed related but also latency (the time between requests) aka lag.. LTE has lower latency in general.

PublicLove
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Dunkmanwhat is the benefit of LTE/4G/3G? Is it really all just speed related?

LifeWorthLiving

Thanks for asking- I’m curious as well 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LeafLife , the 4G or full speed LTE plans do offer faster speeds.  That said there's no real difference in terms of what you will probably do with mobile data.  Since all the deal are for the so called 3G speed plans, I suggest shopping for those only.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@LeafLife 

Most of the pre-made plan/promotions are with 3G plans.  

There is one 4G - 1GB data only plan for $30   https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/30for1GB-4GLTE

Most of the 4G plans you will have to "build your own plan"  The price of 4G plans are similar to other telecom mobile companies.  

For most day to day use of data, you won't notice a big difference.  Don't forget that Public Mobile is actually LTE throttled to 3 G speeds, so you will get LTE latency with the data.  

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@LeafLifeYou can find the pricing going to the Build Your Own Section on the Plans page. Do note once you go to 4G the PM's price advantage evaporates especially since Bell's unlimited plans now have EPP discount already. So basically you are paying the same price for limited data buckets with 3rd tier support.. WHY would you want to do that?!

@LeafLife wrote:

Hey is there a list of prices for 4G data plans? I think I got a 3G plane? Anyone notice a difference going from 4G to 3G?

Currenlty offered LTE plans are shown here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

You'll need to click on "Build your own plan" and select the options you want (other than the 1GB data-only LTE Ready-made plan).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeafLife wrote:

There's only one pre-made 4G plan with data-only.

The build your own has many 4G choices with calling and texting options.

Seems people say there isn't much difference using the 3G here (which is actually throttled LTE) from LTE. If you're wanting to stream HD video maybe you might see some lags.

Need Help? Let's chat.