cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G data?

Hchlebek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Why are there no full plans that have 4G data? This is why I wanted to use Create Your Own Plan option, but now they discontinued that!

39 REPLIES 39

@jclaydon2018 I'll clean up the wiki page and make it more clear when I have some time.

I'm using LTE as an umbrella term for all E-UTRA, starting from 3GPP Release 8.

Some info here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

Feel free to ask if you want more information or have any questions.

jclaydon2018

@sheytoon Nope read this article from wikipedia it says the exact same thing as the other article i posted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

"LTE is commonly marketed as "4G LTE and Advance 4G",[citation needed] but it does not meet the technical criteria of a 4G wireless service, as specified in the 3GPP Release 8 and 9 document series for LTE Advanced. LTE is also commonly known as 3.95G. The requirements were originally set forth by the ITU-R organization in the IMT Advanced specification. However, due to marketing pressures and the significant advancements that WiMAX, Evolved High Speed Packet Access and LTE bring to the original 3G technologies, ITU later decided that LTE together with the aforementioned technologies can be called 4G technologies.[3] The LTE Advanced standard formally satisfies the ITU-R requirements to be considered IMT-Advanced.[4] To differentiate LTE Advanced and WiMAX-Advanced from current 4G technologies, ITU has defined them as "True 4G".[5][6]"

@jclaydon2018 I think you are misinformed. LTE is a fairly large technology leap above 3G. I would argue that 3G is an incremental upgrade to 2G, whereas 4G (LTE) is a major step up.

Keep in mind 2G and 3G share the same core network, and they both use circuit switched voice calls. LTE is entirely IP based, there's no more radio controller, and it's got a more efficient air interface, which uses MIMO and OFDM to divide resources for users at a granular level.

2Complex
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's WiFi speed you can most def see the WiFi signal lol

Hchlebek

The upload speed is what really sucks. I'm getting 0.38 Mbps consistently. It takes forever to send an email with a couple hi res photos attached.

jclaydon2018

Hopefully things will improve and get less confusing when 5G is realeased.

I just learned that LTE is not real or true 4G.  It's technically just a speed that is faster than 3G and less latency

https://www.signalbooster.com/blogs/news/the-difference-between-4g-and-lte

Hchlebek

It's the upload speeds that are really awful. Less than 1 Mbps. Takes forever to send an email with attachments.

@torontokris wrote:

@Hchlebek wrote:

The 3G speeds are terrible. I have dual sims in my phone and can compare LTE from Telus and 3G from PM in an instant. Doing speed tests with both. Downloads with LTE is 50+ whereas PM 3G is 2-3. Uploads with LTE is around 12 whereas 3G is around 2-3.

That is exactly what PM speeds are throttled to ~3. Least PM is reliable ~3 unlike chatr or freedom 3g much slower.

Not sure where you are, but PM and freedom connectionis are both good from my experience,  

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Hchlebek wrote:

The 3G speeds are terrible. I have dual sims in my phone and can compare LTE from Telus and 3G from PM in an instant. Doing speed tests with both. Downloads with LTE is 50+ whereas PM 3G is 2-3. Uploads with LTE is around 12 whereas 3G is around 2-3.

That is exactly what PM speeds are throttled to ~3. Least PM is reliable ~3 unlike chatr or freedom 3g much slower.

Hchlebek

As someone suggested, I set it to "3G only" instead of leaving it at "auto select" and it improved my download speed to 6-7Mbps. That helps.

@DPyro if you just signed up for a 3G plan, your speed will be throttled down in the next 2 days.

@Hchlebek semantics, but all plans are LTE. The "3G" ones are throttled to 3.008 Mbps.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Speed-limit-on-3G-plans/td-p/343133

Wrxblaze
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This truly is disappointing. I was about to sign up another user for a LTE plan. You can keep your 1gb of data.  This sucks!

DPyro

@Hchlebek wrote:

I'm curious what plan you're on?

$25

Hchlebek

I'm curious what plan you're on?

Hchlebek

You are on LTE, hence your speeds. Look to the left of where it shows Public Mobile. In the circle it shows LTE. Mine is 3G and there is no plan option existing now for me to get that LTE.

DPyro

H6AMTFB

Hchlebek

Can you tell me what plan you're on?

Hchlebek

I just ran the speed test again and got similar speeds as yours on Telus LTE but just the typical 3 on my PM G3. Same phone, same location. Just the different SIMs.

DPyro

@Hchlebek wrote:

Perhaps you already had LTE with them. I would assume people who already had LTE plans would be kept on those and only new customers like myself do not have that option. Because you are definitely getting LTE speeds. Those speeds are not 3G.

I just signed up.

Hchlebek

Perhaps you already had LTE with them. I would assume people who already had LTE plans would be kept on those and only new customers like myself do not have that option. Because you are definitely getting LTE speeds. Those speeds are not 3G.

DPyro

It's a PM sim card so I don't see how.

EDIT: On the speed test app it shows Public Mobile.

Hchlebek

Note how it displays as Telus, Toronto, ON beside the globe symbol. That's the network you ran the speed test on.

Hchlebek

The speed test you are showing is on the Telus network, not Public Mobile!

DPyro

@Hchlebek wrote:

Must be your phone or location. This is the results I got just now.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Hchlebek wrote:

There's no reason they can't offer it as an option since the offer it as a data only plan.

@Hchlebek you're correct, there's no technical reason they can't offer 4G options on any plans they want.  They have explicitly chosen not to, as they are directly competing with Lucky Mobile and Chatr, both of which only offer 3G or capped LTE data plans.  They have explicity chosen not to also in hopes that it will "force" you up to Koodo or Telus where you will make them more money per month.

There's also no technical reason they can't offer VoLTE, VoWiFi, visual voicemail, outbound name info in addition to number in caller ID, and probably other things they don't offer.  They do this for market differentiation.  

I get that you wish they offered non-capped LTE plans.  It's fine to wish, but this is the direction they appear to have chosen to go.  Like I said, it's not an "everything to everyone" provider, so go with what works best for you in the market.  If you need full speed data, look at Koodo, Fido, Virgin mobile, Telus, Rogers, or Bell, as they will all offer you that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hchlebek

There's no reason they can't offer it as an option since the offer it as a data only plan.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Hchlebek wrote:

Every time I upload and download photos, send or receive emails with attachments. Fairly often for me.

@Hchlebek everyone's needs are different.  You have to remember that Public Mobile is the discounted, no-frills 3rd tier brand in the Telus family.  For plenty of people, the throttled "3G-speed" data plans are fine for the vast majority of their usage. Public Mobile is not a one-size-fits-all provider so you may want to look at the 2nd and 3rd tier brands for your full-speed needs. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hchlebek

Every time I upload and download photos, send or receive emails with attachments. Fairly often for me.

@Hchlebek other than running speed tests, does it really matter? How often do you notice any difference?

@Hchlebek wrote:

If you're willing to use more data, try your 3G speed test again AFTER setting your phone to 3G only. Some have found the speed better there.

"Terrible" as an observation is totally "in the eyes of the beholder". I had LTE but found performance after switching to 3G plan was virtually the same for my usage pattern: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.