cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow. People are really upset. I wonder how this is going to affect Telus?

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@floatwrote:

just want to say i'm so proud of this community. we banded together and got heard!

But IMHO we've only won the battle…not the war. I think next time will be worse.

Telus has now shown their hand -- they don't want PM taking money away from their more profitable divisions. I'd expect another big change within the next 12-24 months -- probably an idea that's a lot more legally air tight than we've seen.

as Dave said…"While all good things must come to an end at some point"

but let's all enjoy the victory while it lasts  🙂

It is not obvious that the other Telus divisions are more profitable. PM has no extra costs to operste like shops phone suppoet etc.

There might be something else behind  this PM-cidal mood of Telus?

methyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As Telus CEO clearly stated, the focus now is on moving customers up the value chain. Forget about  improvements in PM, don't waste time about suggestions on how to improve service. The focus is completely opposite - how to dilute the service, as been happening with 3G service, dropping call centre for legacy plans, attempts to push off people, etc. If you have ideas like that, those are the ones Telus is interested in. From here it will only be downhill. 

TheOldVR

Easy fix for Telus is to just shut PM down.

They appear to be losing money, just had a publicity disaster, and can be replaced with very little effort.

Give it a few months and PM will disappear in to the night....

float

just want to say i'm so proud of this community. we banded together and got heard!

But IMHO we've only won the battle…not the war. I think next time will be worse.

Telus has now shown their hand -- they don't want PM taking money away from their more profitable divisions. I'd expect another big change within the next 12-24 months -- probably an idea that's a lot more legally air tight than we've seen.

as Dave said…"While all good things must come to an end at some point"

but let's all enjoy the victory while it lasts  🙂

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yep, we won at least for now

Pharmamitch

Well we won, but I’m still not happy about the situation now. Now my confidence in PM is shaken. How can we trust them now? It’s not even a promise, just a temporary stay. Well, I guess I’ll take my time and look for a deal elsewhere and unless PM can somehow regain my trust. But I don’t really know if they can.. 

TaintedxxBright

No. Not a lot of choice when you live in a small northern town. 

Sergey

@borrowedcarbonwrote:

The text about changing the $40/4G plan has me looking at my options within PM and at competitors.

Sadly, Public Mobile plans have gotten a lot worse and increased in price over the last 1-2 years. They’re just not very attractive any more. Telus must be repositioning PM as a low-end carrier.  For LTE they’re not nearly as competitive as they used to be. That’s exactly the goal I’d say. 

To complete the repositioning of PM as a low-end carrier, they need the legacy & grandfathered customers to move away or adopt a low-end plan with PM. That will be the goal as 4G prices continue climbing and porting offers are made.

Compare my 1.5-year old plan:

$90 for 90 days:

unlimited provincial calling

unlimited intl text

1 Gb LTE data

today + 16%:

$105 for 90 days:

unlimited intl text

1.5 Gb LTE data ( a bit more, but 333Mb/mo is pretty close to 500Mb/mo )

To match the $90 price today you have to drop to a throttled “3G” speed of 3Mbps

Compare my 1-year old promo plan:

$120 for 90 days:

unlimited intl text

6 Gb LTE data (+6Gb bonus, sure to end soon)

Today’s similar plan is between $150 (9Gb) or $180 (15Gb) LTE plans. At the midpoint of $165 the increase is 37%.

To match my price now I’d have to drop to 6Gb of throttled “3G” data. This is why Telus shouldn’t have been able to buy PM in the first place. It’s anti-competitive.

I like Public Mobile and their online service model. It suits me well. As long as the highly competitive grandfathered plans continue PM will have a lot of happy customers.

Dave

and what?

The PM made an advertisement 
I'm sure that having received thousands of customers, PM rgot a profit for volume

@makkahn28wrote:

I think PERSONALLY, CRTC/CCTS and Competition Bureau should consider looking into this, it feels like something horrible, like HOW Loblaws and the Bread Price Fixing, and I don't like it

Is it possible that Public lacks REAL Leadership, and perhaps needs the Gov to Crack down on Misleading and Grotesque Practices?

I hope I am wrong, BUT I feel the Consumer has been Taken for a ride here, and it now feels like a DaimlerChrysler-Like scandal, THIS IS NO Merger of equals, this is how Consumers are being treated like Shawshank, like Cattle, and quite frankly, I feel quite offended Public/Telus would treat the Consumers like Disposable toys, this is now really scary, and I believe Public is collateral Damaged, and I HOLD Telus Responsible for That FAILURE.

Alek Krstaljic the Founder I think wouldn't have wanted this to happen, and I feel that perhaps the Gov should consider dismantling the Industry and then rebuild it, BUT with SAFEGUARDS to prevent Carriers from Callousness and overall Carelessness.

I mean no Disrespect, JUST that Public has been TOO focused on THESE Callous Plans and Ready-Made, feels like Martha Stewart.

ALSO, THIS Koodo Text of switching over is beyond Obnoxious, Outrageous, Insulting, and perhaps feels like a Scam, which is beyond the scope of reason

There SHOULD BE Laws to STOP these Practices

I think PM might be on verge of Imploding, and Telus might have planned this, which I find Distasteful

PUBLIC should BE FOCUSING ON offering NEWER and BETTER SERVICES, NOT this Ready-Made Plans, 3G Nonsense or do the Hoky poky and turn self all around

The way this is being handled, More Sarcastic and perhaps almost sadistic, Cruel, and Unusual Punishment on Consumers.

This act PUBLIC has done has brought shame and disgrace, and I feel that NO amount of apology will be sufficient to repair the Damage

I totally agree with you 100% . It is really unfortunate that now we are taken as granted and just numbers with no choices. 

Sergey

I will wait until my paid circle and and go away to another not related company

borrowedcarbon

The text about changing the $40/4G plan has me looking at my options within PM and at competitors.

Sadly, Public Mobile plans have gotten a lot worse and increased in price over the last 1-2 years. They’re just not very attractive any more. Telus must be repositioning PM as a low-end carrier.  For LTE they’re not nearly as competitive as they used to be. That’s exactly the goal I’d say. 

To complete the repositioning of PM as a low-end carrier, they need the legacy & grandfathered customers to move away or adopt a low-end plan with PM. That will be the goal as 4G prices continue climbing and porting offers are made.

Compare my 1.5-year old plan:

$90 for 90 days:

unlimited intl text

1 Gb LTE data

today + 16%:

$105 for 90 days:

unlimited intl text

1.5 Gb LTE data ( a bit more, but 333Mb/mo is pretty close to 500Mb/mo )

To match the $90 price today you have to drop to a throttled “3G” speed of 3Mbps

Compare my 1-year old promo plan:

$120 for 90 days:

unlimited intl text

6 Gb LTE data (+6Gb bonus, sure to end soon)

Today’s similar plan is between $150 (9Gb) or $180 (15Gb) LTE plans. At the midpoint of $165 the increase is 37%.

To match my price now I’d have to drop to 6Gb of throttled “3G” data. This is why Telus shouldn’t have been able to buy PM in the first place. It’s anti-competitive.

I like Public Mobile and their online service model. It suits me well. As long as the highly competitive grandfathered plans continue PM will have a lot of happy customers.

Dave

I think PERSONALLY, CRTC/CCTS and Competition Bureau should consider looking into this, it feels like something horrible, like HOW Loblaws and the Bread Price Fixing, and I don't like it

Is it possible that Public lacks REAL Leadership, and perhaps needs the Gov to Crack down on Misleading and Grotesque Practices?

I hope I am wrong, BUT I feel the Consumer has been Taken for a ride here, and it now feels like a DaimlerChrysler-Like scandal, THIS IS NO Merger of equals, this is how Consumers are being treated like Shawshank, like Cattle, and quite frankly, I feel quite offended Public/Telus would treat the Consumers like Disposable toys, this is now really scary, and I believe Public is collateral Damaged, and I HOLD Telus Responsible for That FAILURE.

Alek Krstaljic the Founder I think wouldn't have wanted this to happen, and I feel that perhaps the Gov should consider dismantling the Industry and then rebuild it, BUT with SAFEGUARDS to prevent Carriers from Callousness and overall Carelessness.

I mean no Disrespect, JUST that Public has been TOO focused on THESE Callous Plans and Ready-Made, feels like Martha Stewart.

ALSO, THIS Koodo Text of switching over is beyond Obnoxious, Outrageous, Insulting, and perhaps feels like a Scam, which is beyond the scope of reason

There SHOULD BE Laws to STOP these Practices

I think PM might be on verge of Imploding, and Telus might have planned this, which I find Distasteful

PUBLIC should BE FOCUSING ON offering NEWER and BETTER SERVICES, NOT this Ready-Made Plans, 3G Nonsense or do the Hoky poky and turn self all around

The way this is being handled, More Sarcastic and perhaps almost sadistic, Cruel, and Unusual Punishment on Consumers.

This act PUBLIC has done has brought shame and disgrace, and I feel that NO amount of apology will be sufficient to repair the Damage

Max response is 30 days

Most are handled in a week tho

@McGriffwrote:

Does anyone know how long it takes before the CCTS responds with a solution?

@Tallguy11 YET

They will do it just next time it will be in a better less underhanded way (not waiting for our payments then announcing it)

Plan is toast question is now when?

@Tallguy11wrote:

well we just won for now.. they are not going forward with the price increase

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-infamous-40-for...

mated3

I just received text confirming PM "will not be moving forward with the March 20th price increase"

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-infamous-40-for...

anaik

Double post while trying to correct formatting error .

anaik

@ShawnC13wrote:

@TheOldVRwrote:

@ShawnC13... trying to get my head around all this.

Looks like the increase is cancelled though - so yay (I guess).

I’m still leaving the Telus family though, I’ll pay more elsewhere as I don’t like what PM tried to pull off. It was not fair and not right.

Yes the price increase is off (for now). Sorry to hear you are leaving but totally understand. You will be missed as you have sound advice when responding to posts

Where and when was it announced that the price increase is off? Why 'for now' when we were promised no surprises?

If it's true, I'll stay and hope that not many will jump ship, to show that cancelling it did work to retain customers 

cszhb

Thats a rip off. WTH they are playing us, charged us full amount then return 100bucks credits and also charge 15bucks for SIM when switching to Koodo. The 100bucks credits cant even cover the cost. This is BS 200%

@TheOldVRwrote:

I’m still leaving the Telus family though, I’ll pay more elsewhere as I don’t like what PM tried to pull off. It was not fair and not right.

Yes the price increase is off (for now). Sorry to hear you are leaving but totally understand. You will be missed as you have sound advice when responding to posts

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TheOldVR

@TheOldVRwrote:

What is going on here????

First off, the Oracles seem to be in the dark about what’s going on. How does that make sense PM?

Next - is this true @ShawnC13 -> half the data, or less minutes? Seriously? I hope you have this wrong dude 🙄... (I have no reason to doubt you btw, just hope....)

🤯

This is when info was first coming out. It was proven it truly is unlimited Canada wife calling and 4gb

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TheOldVR

What is going on here????

First off, the Oracles seem to be in the dark about what’s going on. How does that make sense PM?

Next - is this true @ShawnC13 -> half the data, or less minutes? Seriously? I hope you have this wrong dude 🙄... (I have no reason to doubt you btw, just hope....)

🤯

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lukevader I don't think it has to do with them changing the price.  It's kind of expected that prices may change for wireless plans from time to time.  The problem is they stated that existing customers would be able to keep paying the $120/90 days as long as they remained customers.  If they changed the price of the plan and it affected new subscribers, there would not be a problem.  The problem is they are changing the price of the plan for existing customers even though they stated otherwise.  I know there is no contract here, but they have still lied to their existing customers by promising something then not delivering on that promise.  

jpar

@cszhbwrote:

PM just charged me $120 on Feb 11. If I want to switch to Koodo will PM refund my money?

Nope. You just get the $100 Cr.

cszhb

PM just charged me $120 on Feb 11. If I want to switch to Koodo will PM refund my money?

sirkdub

Mobile Syrup article about the price increase retracted:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/16/public-mobile-no-price-increase-on-40-4gb-plan/

Public Mobile, the online community-driven wireless carrier owned by Telus, announced yesterday that it had decided to increase the monthly rate on its $120/12GB 90-day promotional rate plan by $10 per month. The decision immediately caused an uproar since the promotional plan had been advertised as one that would not change in price as long as they remained an active customer. The announcement of the price increase came along with an offer for those customers to switch to Koodo Mobile. The carrier noted in a text to customers: “Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month.” Customers were livid, voicing concern on all social media avenues and also reporting the issue to the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). However, only a day later, Public Mobile stated in a blog post it will “not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous ‘$40 for 4GB’ plan.” This means the rate plan for current customers is still active and so are the referral bonuses. “While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all,” said the note to customers from Dave MacLean, the general manager of Public Mobile. Those still interested in moving to Koodo can continue to take advantage of the deal for the $40 for 4GB plan. If there’s one thing to take away from this whole scenario, it’s this: when a community binds together to have their voices heard, it can produce great results

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Public Mobile decides not to move forward with $40/4GB promo price increase

Doorik

Keep this thread alive all. Especially the "all good things come totan end" comment from public mobile. Post any deal you see from any carrier. Probs never as good this but good to inform all what options we have as customers. Especially given telus' public comment that they wantwto move customers to post paid. 

seen

Hi @CS_Agent,

To cite PM's official statement:

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

Like many others, I am unhappy about the recent price change for my plan. Though a plan with Koodo was offered, after keeping up with community discussions I understand that it is both more expensive and inferior to my current plan—even without rewards involved. From a personal standpoint, Koodo requiring credit checks is prejudiced. I did not want to sign up for Koodo. I chose to sign up for Public Mobile, enticed by their promise of rewarding loyalty.

I recently paid Public Mobile for my next 3 months of service with no knowledge of this increase. Switching to Koodo means I lose this money. This is unethical. The timing of this change, considering many affected customers signed up during the same timeframe (Fall Promo), means may customers are in similar situations. Public Mobile is taking away our promised service, our money, and not issuing refunds.

Please consider this message a formal complaint against Public Mobile and your practices. If you do not contact me with a proposed resolution within 24 hours, I will escalate my complaint to the CCTS. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

jpar

PM has now cancelled the rate increase.

Need Help? Let's chat.