cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Suggest you go online to Koodo and see if you can get the offer now. Then deal with PM later to get your number ported. If Koodo will process the deal with a new number, you can port out later for just $20 (30 day calling plan).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Scarlet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You should be able to switch online. I would do it before your next bill. 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541wrote:

I wold love to keep my price at $120 per 90 days.  There's no disputing that.  But I'm really not sure what customers think will be done by submitting these complaints, other than to preasure Public Mobile to back down on this price change.

That's the point. Please, we all know our government regulatory body isn't actually going to do anything about this...

@Charanth182wrote:

@will13am

while you aren't wrong about there could be a response from others I don't think starting now to pool our knowledge could hurt.

Agreed, however the list consists of regular priced plans.  We need competing offers not just any in market plan. 

The argument that seems to be used for each of these complaints is that Public Mobile said that they will not increase your price as long as you remain an "active customer".

That there really is the key to any complaint filed with the Competition Bureau or with CCTS.

If someone files some complaint and simply states that he or she is unhappy because of a price increase, I believe that complaint to be highly likely to fail.

I wold love to keep my price at $120 per 90 days.  There's no disputing that.  But I'm really not sure what customers think will be done by submitting these complaints, other than to pressure Public Mobile to back down on this price change.

If it goes to the point where Public Mobile agrees to allow an indvidual cusomer to keep the plan based on such complainit, or even if CCTS orders it so, all Public Mobile really has to do is give you proper notice that they will be discontnuing your service at a future date.  You will then fail to remain an "active customer", and you would no lnoger be entitled to the plan.   While I agree that would be a very bad PR move, remember that such a customer is already unhappy about the price change and is likely to leave anyway.

I am uncertain of how many customers really expected Public Mobile to let them keep the price forever.  To me, I believe such expectation to be considered unrealistic, and I believe that some people may be using Public Mobile's no price increase statment as a basis for the complaint even when they never truly expected that to be honored in the first place.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, they just dropped the bomb and left.

Michael6
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public mobile should just be shut down.

It's disgusting to treat customers this way  

DCox44

Hey so I got the text about the rate increase and switching to koodo, I'm fine with that, I'll likely switch to koodo. My issue is I got the text two days ago, and my plan expired yesterday. There was no time for me to drive into the city to do the switch and get the plan. So my question is am I stuck with paying the $120 to activate my plan again only to switch a few minutes later? Id only need my plan activate for a day at most. @CS_Agent

vmccue

I want to keep my original plan: 

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

gtn326

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on four cellphones in my household that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS for each household member.

xianchu
Formal complaint regarding price increase

Dear Public Mobile,

Please accept my formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as announced on February 15, 2018. 

Increasing this price for this plan is against the original marketing by Public Mobile employees during the promotional campaign on the community forums:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. "

(Source: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...).

I look forward to resolving this issue.  Please contact me directly by phone or emial to resolve this issue.  If I do not hear back within 24 hours, I will pursue the resolution of this complaint via the CCTS.

Thank  you!

Xevyn

@tevelwrote:

Hey Public Mobile.  I will not be moving to Koodo.  Filling out the compaint questionairre on the CCTS website, and just leaving this here.  I'll be staying on the $120/12GB plan as long as I can, and depending on the resolution to the CCTS complaint maybe I'll just go somewhere else.  Still hoping this madness will end.  Trying to upsell Public Mobile customers to Koodo to help the Telus mothership bottom line seems doomed to failure.

+1

I will be doing the same.  Just want to add that in all the years that I've had a cell phone plan I can't ever remember getting a notice of 30 days that my plan would be increasing by 25%.  I originally switched to PM because of all the great referrals and testimonies I heard from friends and family and how they don't levy the same sort of surprise fees and increases that other companies do.  Yet here we are a day after I received a text message giving me 30 days notice of the biggest price increase I've ever experienced for a cell plan....

Kushracer

Dear Public Mobile,

Please accept my formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as announced on February 15, 2018. 

Increasing this price for this plan is against the original marketing by Public Mobile employees during the promotional campaign on the community forums:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. "

(Source: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...).

I look forward to resolving this issue.  Please contact me directly by phone or emial to resolve this issue.  If I do not hear back within 24 hours, I will pursue the resolution of this complaint via the CCTS.

Thank you.

Charanth182
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pulp74wrote:

Also I know there is a way to sigh all of us (severed by a price increase) to some corporate plans. With the amount of people coming to certain provider we can get very good price. The more people coming the better discount. 

🙂 let us know if you figure anything out in that regard!

ks33

Hello Public Mobile,

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus my rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo. 

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further regarding my two affected plans. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you,

Shabc

Hello Public Mobile,

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus my rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you,
Shabc

thebestnicknar

So I already paid for the next 3 months, but one of my referals has bill is due onthe Feb 20th.  

For me I know it is worth waiting for a few weeks prior to jumping ship, but for someone who has yet to pay the next 120day period is it better to just bite the bullet and switch to Koodo?

tevel

Hey Public Mobile.  I will not be moving to Koodo.  Filling out the compaint questionairre on the CCTS website, and just leaving this here.  I'll be staying on the $120/12GB plan as long as I can, and depending on the resolution to the CCTS complaint maybe I'll just go somewhere else.  Still hoping this madness will end.  Trying to upsell Public Mobile customers to Koodo to help the Telus mothership bottom line seems doomed to failure.

motu

Hello Public Mobile,

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you

millers55

Hello Public Mobile,

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic.

Thank you,

MM

JimmyJazz

This is disgusting, but not surprising. There is NO competition in Canada. What we have is a very sticky oligopoly situation with very little to differentiate between the 3 main providers. They pretty much move in lockstep to avoid killing the Golden Goose. I doubt very much that Public Mobile are responsible for this travesty, rather their overlords at Telus are the ones behaving badly.

If we can't have a free and open market, then this is one of the few times that I'd advocate that rates ought to be regulated.

Disgusted.

saje_ward

PM is providing you the service that you paid for. For 90 days after your last renewal they will provide you with the service you paid for. You are being incented to leave sooner, but PM will provide service if you stay.

Shady AF, but not "services not rendered"

gamewiz102

Seems like a rip off to me.. It doesnt cost them much to provide us these services, telus has decided to be greedy and help their bottom line in the next quarter. Shamful.

saje_ward

Sure but that's only if you decide to switch. PM will still provide you with the service that you signed up and paid for. So you are bit out any money and you are not being forced to leave. You are being incented to leave. Its different.

PM changed the service agreement and by you paying to continue your service with them, you agreed to be bound by those terms.

It's shady AF, but they are squeaking by on the technicalities. 

ceecee

Unfortunately there are additional terms and conditions that are not mentioned in the text message.  If you go to Koodo's website and enter the promo code to look at the plan, under "nitty gritty" it also says the following:

3. Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

As a result, the following is probably going to apply:

Additional airtime charges happen when you use more minutes than you have in your plan. Each additional minute costs $0.50. To save on future bills, you may need to change your plan or get an add-on.

Kattz

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure that the mods are completely overwhelmed. I ticked email me when there is a reply to this thread. My phone is literally blowing up. I'm getting an email  or two  every second. 

It will take time for the investigation. The CRTC is likely overwhelmed too. Don't listen to the shills. They promised us that we could keep this plan at this price as long as we were customers in good standing. They can't point to the user agreement now and say that they have the right to increase the price. They should have have said that this offer could expire at any time down the road if they didn't intend to honour the price as long as we were customers. The users are in the right here and we should win eventually. It will take time. Public Mobile wants you to worry that you're going to lose out on their offer. Don't take it unless you feel that it is a good deal for you. 

zoomzoom87
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@v3nicewrote:

@Charanth182wrote:

@v3nice Thanks! for some reason i can't even see that offer on the page.

Wow those are some T&C, i literally bought a new phone last week i dont' want another.

Read this thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/WARNING-40-Koodo-Offer-is-actually-55-mon...

It seems like people had success in Kiosk for getting without tab, and ended up with $200 credit. If you decided to jump ship, please make sure to read the  T&C on their so called **unlimited**.

If you read the fine print, it's unlimitedly available at all times. 

purewater

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on one cellphones in my household that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. 

Aaron6
Public Mobile, please contact me regarding this directly. I am writing here as  I do not have any other way to contact you. If I do not receive a response in a reasonable amount of time I will be filing a CCTS complaint.

I am upset about the $30 price increase on my 3 month plan.

When I signed up, the text of the advertisement said that as long as I remained an active customer I maintained an active plan I understand prices going up but this is false advertising.

The text you sent "Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point." is misleading / deceptive because all of your customers will have 1 year loyalty ($39), and most will have auto pay ($37) and with referrals one of my accounts is at $25. 

So no matter what it’s a price increase, and to imply otherwise is deceptive. Also 12 GB over the course of 3 months, is not as flexible as 4GB over 1 month.

This compaint is in regard to multiple accounts. I am not able to post details here due to the public nature of your support

Mavi
Re: $40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS.

Tags (1)
Need Help? Let's chat.