cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

@yihtangyeo Apparently CCTS will not look at this until your price has actually increased. Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@antifreeze1100 Great idea! Robot Very Happy

One additional alternative is to take the Koodo offer but request a new number; if that works for you. Call forward PM to Koodo for a month then let  (sell?) someone else take over your PM account. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Agreed. As terrible as all of this is, if they're going to be forcing people onto Koodo, the SIM fee should be waived. 

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The koodo offer is not Anytime Minutes. It is unlimited only after 5 pm to 7 am weekdays and weekends. It will cost per minute on your bill if u use during the day. Read the fine print on koodo .

slavitch

I still pay it, which is offensive.  It's a dirtbag move.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slavitchwrote:

My net cost  for 4 SIMs is $35 a month.  The increase moves that to $45 a month, $180 total. This compares to $160 a month for Koodo, the only difference is Canada-wide talk and huge charges for overages.  The $100 credit barely covers my losses if I move around the deadline.  I lose money with the switch if I move earlier than that.

The Koodoo offer requires  anew SIM for $15.00 + HST,  $60 total for me.  My plan expires in May. I'm better off sticking with Public until such time as a better offer from a competitor comes along.

Your math is a little off. The cost for the sim is a one time cost. You don't pay $60 ($45+$15) every month.

antifreeze1100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

One option I am looking into (if you have a dual-sim phone): keep Public for talk & text only ($75 per 3 months while keeping auto-pay reward, loyalty rewards, and whatever referral rewards stick it out after this). Switch to Fido for data ($15 per month for 3GB). You pay the same and lose a GB/month, but may be better than paying $10 to keep it (depending on your usage) or accepting the disadvantages of the Koodo plan. Plus, you stay on the books with Public and keep your rewards (both of which Telus seems desparate to clawback). AND you can use the full remainder of your current 90 days. AND you take your business elsewhere. AND you refuse their gun-to-the head Koodo offer. AND you lower your ARPU, which looks bad on their balance sheet.

jpar

Is this true? It says Unlimited minutes / Unlimited text on the plan page. 

jpar

Definitely not a glitch. Smiley Sad

aeolus

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards (including future My Rewards earned) on the line that I have with you for over a year.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: http://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within five (5) business days I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and proceed with a complaint to the CCTS.

slavitch

My net cost  for 4 SIMs is $35 a month.  The increase moves that to $45 a month, $180 total. This compares to $160 a month for Koodo, the only difference is Canada-wide talk and huge charges for overages.  The $100 credit barely covers my losses if I move around the deadline.  I lose money with the switch if I move earlier than that.

The Koodoo offer requires  anew SIM for $15.00 + HST,  $60 total for me.  My plan expires in May. I'm better off sticking with Public until such time as a better offer from a competitor comes along.

closng

@MVPwrote:

@will13amwrote:

@MVPwrote:

@will13amwrote:

A social media campaign against Telus would prove useful also.  It is an uphill battle to go the CCTS route.  I am sure what is being done has been vetted by the legal department. 

Good  thinking. As someone ponted out,  if your current 90-days cycle end in the end of April/beginning of May (as  the case is for the most of Fall 2016 promo subscribers), it is only one more cycle away from August promos. With rewards, the price increase seems bearable for another cycle or two  in search of a better option.

Besides, does anyone know if Rewards will stay the same,

if one switches to voice/text only  plan for $25  (with my rewards, it will be like $15)?  Might used it in a dual-sim together with FIDO data only.     

Rewards are not changing.  So they can offset some of the price increase.  My biggest concern is my rewards are going to be lost as much of it is in the form of referrals. 

True.  However, rewards  that  one has up to now, seem intact (I've already  one referral who has left  for Koodo 😉 ). Not sure if they are likely to stick till the next  renewal though.

Koodo has its downsides  too. Forwarding $3/month (free  with PM). $70/GB  (!!!)  data overages (you need to agree via text I think). Besides, nobody guarantees, that Koodo will NOT increase the price right away or over the  next half year or so..

Both are Telus, so if PM increased prices, the Koddo will likely follow suite?  

Another downside is that we will also have a credit hit when switching to Koodo as they will run a credit check.

Cubkegger

My input on this: Koodo and postpaid isn't for everyone, not everyone has great credit or will even have a chance of being approved to get on a Koodo plan. That said some just don't want the worry and hassle of postpaid billing. This sort of tactic is like telling people well if you don't have good credit your screwed. Sorry this just seems very anticompetitive and like a setup. It's got Telus' sticky fingers written all over it. Leave our little low cost prepaid devision how it is Telus please. Cuz it's working, and Koodo isn't always what's good for business.

v3nice

@Hen555wrote:

Hello this is my first post and I have created an account just to post this. I believe this is all a  mistake. A glitch went out and sent us all the text this is why we recieved it from a new unfamiliar number .

Public Mobile has not confirmed this price increase. Let the company speak and confirm that this was a glitch in the sms system. 

I mean we all saw the false advertising when signing up that there would be no surprises or price changes. Public mobile is a good company and that's why we are with them with their fantastic 4GB per month plan with LOYALTY fkn discounts and referels.

As loyal customers to the company we believe in we have referred public mobile to our friends and family and got more discount . I loved the roll over add-ons too and the prepaid aspect of it .

It is either that tthis is a glitch or Telus is closing down Public Mobile ...in other words maybe public mobile was a failed experiment with no customer service running at low upkeep costs. 

Either way thanks public mobile for your great service I enjoyed your data and you introduced me to LTE. Now I friken wish I signed up for those even better 10GB holiday time deals that the BIG3 put out .

You wish. Check your account now. The public notice is out. 

float

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic. Thank you.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Actually I was wrong. They have some responses on twitter, which is not their official support forum.

antifreeze1100

Posted this earlier as a reply to another topic, but I'll also shout it from the rooftops (or at least give it its own thread):

Whatever you choose to do, if this violates your principle of fairness then do NOT accept the Koodo offer. Take your business elsewhere. Or pay a few bucks extra to keep your rewards and stay with Public (they seem to be going to great reputational lengths to move you). Get creative (dual-sim Public for a cheap talk-and-text plan with another plan for data). Kick 'em right in the ARPU! But don't pay the Dane-geld!

The Dane-geld
Rudyard Kipling

It is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation To call upon a neighbour and to say: -- "We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight, Unless you pay us cash to go away." And that is called asking for Dane-geld, And the people who ask it explain That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld And then you'll get rid of the Dane! It is always a temptation for a rich and lazy nation, To puff and look important and to say: -- "Though we know we should defeat you, we have not the time to meet you. We will therefore pay you cash to go away." And that is called paying the Dane-geld; But we've proved it again and again, That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld You never get rid of the Dane. It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation, For fear they should succumb and go astray; So when you are requested to pay up or be molested, You will find it better policy to say: -- "We never pay any-one Dane-geld, No matter how trifling the cost; For the end of that game is oppression and shame, And the nation that pays it is lost!"

yihtangyeo

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards ($3 per 90 days for loyalty bonus, $6 per 90 days for autopay, $15 per 90 days for 5 referrals) that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS.

dZilla

Where were these

Terms and conditions put

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.46.42 AM.png

WearySky

@feejaiwrote:

I see this as the only way to punish this behaviour is to not take them up on their Koodo offier and move to another provider.  

I appreciate your commitment to your principles.  If I want a comparable plan with Bell or Rogers (no, Freedom is not comparable since their network is still nowhere close to what the big 3 offer), I'm looking at $100 a month.  I'd love to "stick it" to Telus by not taking them up on their offer, but it's not worth $700+ a year to me to have the satisfaction of knowing that Telus isn't getting my money any more.

guinness22

The unlimited Canada calls are only free after 5 pm. Weekdays if u switch to koodo 4O a month 4 GB offer . It's not Anytime Minutes. Beware of this if you move . 50 cents a minute a call during the Day 

ty666666

I'm thinking of contacting CBC's Go Public.

Let's take this public & put some pressure on them. That's the only way they'll listen when it goes all over the news.

If anyone else is interested their email is:

gopublic@cbc.ca

Let the fight begin!

Theprincipal

I'm sure it was vetted by their legal department. I guarantee the conclusion was that it is cheaper to do what they're doing and settle the lawsuits then it would be to honor the price commitment.

Just because it was vetted, doesn't make it legal.

Corporations pull **bleep** like this all the time because people like you and I don't stand up and say no.

allenjilin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website for this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint with the CCTS.

ute1978

@kav2001cwrote:

If you check your online profile you will see this now posted to your accounts

Good to know: Next bill cycle.

antifreeze1100

Whatever you choose to do, absolutely refuse the Koodo offer as a matter of principle.

The Dane-Geld
Rudyard Kipling

It is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation To call upon a neighbour and to say: -- "We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight, Unless you pay us cash to go away." And that is called asking for Dane-geld, And the people who ask it explain That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld And then you'll get rid of the Dane! It is always a temptation for a rich and lazy nation, To puff and look important and to say: -- "Though we know we should defeat you, we have not the time to meet you. We will therefore pay you cash to go away." And that is called paying the Dane-geld; But we've proved it again and again, That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld You never get rid of the Dane. It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation, For fear they should succumb and go astray; So when you are requested to pay up or be molested, You will find it better policy to say: -- "We never pay any-one Dane-geld, No matter how trifling the cost; For the end of that game is oppression and shame, And the nation that pays it is lost!"

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The zero response through any channel is the best part of all this.

slavitch

Same here.  

1. Honor the agreement.

2. For those that switch, refund outstanding balance.

3. Never do this again.

StealthRhino

Same here

Teedo

Good to know the comments are still flowing... We're using an internet based service for all intents and purposes... let's be united in our discontent on the internet, through here, twitter and try and make life miserable for Darren Entwhistle (TELUS CEO), that useless sack of monkey sh*t.

Need Help? Let's chat.