cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

fulluh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

his is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I would like to keep my original plan of 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Thank you.

fulluh

Agreed but don't contact crtc it isn't going to get you very far lol

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Looks like the competitors are watching. Let’s see what they come up with. 

https://twitter.com/FidoSolutions/status/964260542247391232?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctw...

Kattz

Everyone who has complained absolutely has the right to contact a moderator. We have a problem just like anyone else. We are not second-class citizens because we took advantage of a promotioin. And, by the way, I was a customer before the promotion and switched to that plan.

Forcite

Don't just complain to the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services, complain to the Competition Bureau for PM making false or misleading representations under the Competition Act.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

Mystery
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amwrote:

@Mystery, I don't know about you but all my referrals are on the 2016 fall promo.  What do you think my chances are of seeing referral rewards going forward? 

Well I have 2 plans on PM, so if I staywith both phones, one of the plans should continue receiving referral rewards (one line referred the other). I guess peeps are hooped if they referred people to PM and they jump ship. But switching plans im hoping is not an issue. I still see reference to autoship and rewards on their website.

Bjord
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Terms don't exempt them from misleading their customers. Even if this is legal, it's very scummy, and as long as it stands I will complain.

@kav2001c, do not forget the promise of $1 rewards per 30 days for friend referrals, loyalty rewards.

Also do not forget the $2 per 30 day AutoPay reward.

i would like to include the community rewards, however as the are solely based on subscriber involvement, this particular reward isn’t a sure bet.

Mystery

Yeah, I'm a little sketch on their "bonus" plans, since I feel like there must be some underlying condition to maintaining them. 

I'm not sure if 3G is an option, given I'm always on LTE and find the speed decent. So if PM took away the bonus 3G data, speaking specifically for the 12gb +6 gb bonus, I'm no father ahead than the plan they are sticking to me anyways. If they took away the bonus GB on the 6+6, I'd be more ticked off ( I see less plan value if they did this).

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yea timing kind of sucks as most of the great plan and phone deals run from Black Friday to Christmas.  I too am going to wait it out for a bit, might as well use what I've paid for. Wife & I don't use all our data so maybe can drop down (& keep some buffer) but will see what competition offers and whether keeping loyaty credits are worth it. The 1 yr $1/mo credit I just got has now been more than washed out by the $10 increase (man that was a huge increase). Plus who knows if they'll be more increases to get us to 'move up the value chain' or whatever the Pres said. The legacy folks have had a couple of increases (although not as much) to prompt them to move.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I know everyone is pissed, but the terms of service do clearly state pm can increase the price.

I brleive the no surprises refers to the bill with regards to extra monthly charges ie prepaid vs postpaid.

I could have swallowed a $3 or $5 increase.  I think pm simply wants to get rid of LTE plans and become a 3g placer same as chatr and lucky. Why be different when everyone else is the same

Artemis567

Under Canadian law you cannot accept future terms of service that haven't yet been created, @ and are not bound by generic terms if otherwise agreed upon.

Nothing else matters.  PM was explicit to me and others in advertising this deal and has now pulled out the rug after only 7 months.

@CS_Agent your executives are in a lot of **bleep**

Kattz

I took advantage of the October 2016 promotion. At the time, Public Mobile stated that we would be able to keep the promotional price as long as we were customers in good standing. I have kept my end of the deal.  There was nothing said at the time that we might be switched to another provider in order to keep this price.

I will be making a complaint to the CRTC. | do not consent to modifying this agreement,  I expect to continue to pay the price that agreed upon and I cannot switch to Koodo.

According to the CRTC, I need to contact Public Mobile and attempt to work out an agreement. Since this is my only way of contacting you, I am asking for you to get in touch with me so that we can discuss this matter.

Thank you.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13wrote:

@Mystery, yes your rewards are still active if you just change plans.  If the 3G (LTE Lite) works for you that is an option or there is the 6 +6 for $135

@ShawnC13I plan on taking the 6+6 for $135. But I have the very bad gut feeling that this plan will be increased as well on March 20. I bet they take away the "bonus" so the $135 will be for 6GB only.

@Mystery, I don't know about you but all my referrals are on the 2016 fall promo.  What do you think my chances are of seeing referral rewards going forward? 

sbreakin

I'm going to wait & use up my plan & maybe even renew at the old rate (mine's up March 2nd before the increase).

I have been looking at other plans as I don't use the 4G. Wife & I are normally about 3-4G/90 days so also looking at lower data plans to save money &keep the loyalty & community credits. I won't be counting on any referral credits. 

I have to admit, I am a bit put off staying by the huge increase & short time notice (compared to our 90-day plans). ANd whose to say they won't increase it yet again as they have done for Legacy plans, who I think have had a couple of increases in the past few years (annual perhaps). 

@mimmowrote:

@will13am not back yet, just burning up extra minutes. I'm somewhere in the pacific between LA and San Fran.

And you told me not much would happen while I was away 🙂

@mimmo, I did speculate that there would be no excitement.  Boy oh boy was I wrong! 

The crazy thing was the day started off really good.  I had issues with getting a promo added to my Fido data only plans the past couple of days.  Today, it was resolved when a manager emailed me and asked me to contact her to resolve my problem.  I ended up with 3 free data plans for the next 12 months!  No misprint, my next 12 bills will show $0.  This joy didn't last a second as my phone was vibrating off the table with notifications about this big upheaval as I was on the phone with the Fido manager.  I am still really POed by how the rug was pulled from under our feet. 

@Mystery, yes your rewards are still active if you just change plans.  If the 3G (LTE Lite) works for you that is an option or there is the 6 +6 for $135

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jeffster1970

As much as all this sucks for everyone, something to think about. Public Mobile does have the right to cancel or suspend any service for any reason as long as they give 30 days notice.

Also so this: 

Can the terms of service change?
Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become
effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/ plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted,
including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any
time, without penalty or cancellation fees.

sbreakin

I am still looking at my options.  I will use up my plan & maybe even renew Mar 2 at the old rates but I'm gonna keep watching for specials. 
PM advantage 90 day terms, great coverage in BC & in general, pre-paid so no surprise roaming/ charges for accidentally getting a US tower etc. loyalty credits were nice as I just go my 1st year $1/mo but with a $10/mo increase after just over a year kind of messes that one up).

Koodo: They do have great phone discounts from time to time, a $50 referral credit at the moment & same great coverage. Not sure if this plan is that great for us - seems the unlimited is evening & weekends but I'll keep reading as folks report back.

Freedom: I read on a flag forum that they may have a Chinese new year special on plan >$40. Can't be that bad as my buddy has been bragging about his plan for weeks & says coverage is great in GVRD. And while they have increased coverage it doesn't appear to be as good as PM & need a newer phone to use Band 66 LTE. 

mimmo

@will13am not back yet, just burning up extra minutes. I'm somewhere in the pacific between LA and San Fran.

And you told me not much would happen while I was away 🙂

@will13am to be clear I meant like Dark Lord Evil Empire type planning

echi29

This is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I would like to keep my original plan of 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Thank you.

@Bjord, sorry I need to correct the arithmetic.  The increase is 25%.  $10/$40=25%.  It hurts that much more.

@kav2001cwrote:

You know this time of the year has historically had the worst pricing on plans & hardware

Most deals do not start until July-ish

Again shows Telus planned this 

Of course there was planning involved. 

mimmo
I know fido was offering a chatr to fido promo similar to this. https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/14/rogers-is-reportedly-offering-20-unlimited-talk-and-text-plan-for... Not sure if they are still offering it but if they opened it up to pm aswell that would mean a huge increase of instant subscribers.

Mystery

Not that I agree with the increase (still irritating, to say the least), but trying to find options and make some lemonade out of the lemons thrown at us.

There is a PM plan that is a 90 day, 12 GB + 6gb 3G speed bonus , also provincial talk, that is $150, the same price as the rate hike. Has anyone considered switching plans if they stayed with PM? I like my data flexibility within the 90 days and the Koodo deal seems like the short end of the stick any which way I look at it. But this other plan might be worth switching to.

Ok, I don't NEED 18gb total data...I think I have only ever reached 9 GB, but if I were to get VALUE, is this a comparable if not better plan than our Fall 2016 plan, given the rate increase? Would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I'm assuming, autopay and referring rewards still apply for all plans, or does that get reset if you switch plans?

@kav2001cwrote:

@mimmo the competitors already raised the $40 for 4GB plans (eg Fido is now $45)

Koodo (so far) is only game in town

@mimmo, welcome back!  @kav2001c, I suspect there will be a response from the competition.  Look at what happened late last year when the major brands responded to Freedom's promotions.  Personally, I am not going to do any spontaneous.  I will weigh all options over the next 30 days. 

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Who knows. If Freedom jumps (and they just might) others might follow suit again. Odds may be slim but you never know. Could happen. 

sirkdub

Well it looks like we're gaining traction on this topic.   Below is the article from Mobile Syrup and note the CCTS has commented.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/15/public-mobile-subscribers-40-4gb-price-plan-koodo/

Need Help? Let's chat.