cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

fmpsportsguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I signed up for PM  $120/12Mb plan and was told no surprizes... today I am in shock. My plan is going up 25% today from $40/month to $50/month

If you are even thinking about public mobile stop.. find another carrier or else instead of a surprize you will get SHOCKED at huge price increase with little notification!

Kalym

so, if you do not go with the tab - then anything you have prepaid for is gone.  

that is classic.

Gimli
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

competition bureau complaint - CHECK

CCTS complaint - CHECK

this is robbery.  Bad timing Telus... its an election year... you just gave polititians something to leverage....

@PhoneSeekerwrote:

I also have a question, is there a small tab built into the price? Or do we need to pay an extra $10/month on top?

Getting a tab is upto you. Without the tab, your plan price will be $40/month for 4GB. If you decide to get a tab when switching, there will be additional charges on a monthly basis.

@MoFromTo2016wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Will the Koodo plan offer LTE speed? I’m on the November 2016 promo plan (12GB - $120). Anything else I need to know? I will have to pay $40 with Koodo and the sim will be $15? Thanks

Yes. 

You can read up more info in this topic. 

Yes, and you will get $100 credit for switching. 

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I also have a question, is there a small tab built into the price? Or do we need to pay an extra $10/month on top?

NL1

@IxRisorwrote:

Send a private message as well. They responded to that in less than 10 mins and a CCTS compliant was filed less than 20 mins later. CRTC and the Competition Bureau was also notified for bait and switch tactics, breach of contract and false advertising.

Who do we PM ? 

Edit NVM I found it. 

goalcam

I'm really not happy about this, especially considering that my plan just renewed two weeks ago! What the hell, PM? This plan was advertised as being able to keep the price as long as I'm a customer! I guess I'll be going to the CCTS as well if they don't fix this..

MoFromTo2016

Hi everyone, 

Will the Koodo plan offer LTE speed? I’m on the November 2016 promo plan (12GB - $120). Anything else I need to know? I will have to pay $40 with Koodo and the sim will be $15? Thanks

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13wrote:

For those switching will they be charging a SIM fee and an activation fee as well.  (probably)

There was no activiation fee however couldn't get them to throw in $15 cost of SIM tried my best even showed them my PM account which had a $10 credit balance.

For those switching will they be charging a SIM fee and an activation fee as well.  (probably)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No tab requirement...doesn't really matter to myself anyways as I don't subsidize phone purchases.

Gimli

I think that we might break CCTS website with all our complaints.

rrturner

Supremely disappointed, and feeling lied and cheated to.  PM, sorry I don't know the legal side of things, where you may be able to hide behind some form of legalese, but this is straight out dishonesty, as I see it.  I was told I would stay at this price point, reducing by $1/year, convincing others to join your cause.

Hide behind your digital wall, as you are doing, but this is exactly the corporate greed and sleight of hand that make clients and potential clients distrustful. 

Your words are clearly hollow.

Teedo

We must have some lawyers or folks who know lawyers to provide some advice and contextcin this situation?

Surely for those of us who signed up under the no surprises must have some recourse. It'd be hilarious if a bunch of us took it to small claims court. They must have finite resources and could not fight in every jurisdiction.

ToniCipriani

@littlewrote:

I just received the same text message today too. shocking, 

I send Mod a message regarding to refund and false advertising, see how it goes

then CRTC , hopefully we have enough compliant to bring up awareness and fair treatment

CCTS, not CRTC. https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

IxRisor

Send a private message as well. They responded to that in less than 10 mins and a CCTS compliant was filed less than 20 mins later. CRTC and the Competition Bureau was also notified for bait and switch tactics, breach of contract and false advertising.

Shutdown

Seems to me that PM is just being used by Telus to bait phone users then they force them off to koodo after a year or so to increase the prices, so loyalty is actually just being used to lure people then taken away.

methyl

Dear @Moderator_Team,

Consider this my formal complaint, as required by CCTS before filing the complaint with the agency. 

I do not accept the new rate increase due to Public Mobile guarantees at the time of signing up to keep same rate for as long as I remain an active customer. Specifically, the company promised “If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.”

I have remained an active customer but Public Mobile is violating its promise.

The offer to switch to Koodo at $40 per month is inadequate, as 

a plan with flexibility to spend 1GB in first month, 1GB in second and 10GB in third IS NOT the same as UP TO 4GB in each month.

Secondly, the real price of the plan with loyalty discount (since everyone on this plan is over 1 year) plus preauthorized payment discount is $37 per 30 days = $37.51 per calendar month. This IS NOT the same as $40 per month.

Please resolve the issue within 48hrs.

Thanks.

dwharrison

Hi @CS_Agent,

The following terminology was used to describe the Fall 2016 promotional offer when I signed up for it:

“If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.”

Despite this promise of keeping the plan price the same, I have now been informed of a considerable 25% price increase effective upon my next renewal. I am very unhappy about this notice. Though a plan with Koodo was offered, after keeping up with community discussions I understand that it is both more expensive and inferior to my current plan - for example, providing a monthly bucket of data instead of a 3 month bucket.

I recently paid Public Mobile for my next 3 months of service with no knowledge of this pending increase, and the deadline for the switch is several months before my current Public Mobile service expiry date. Switching to Koodo means I will lose some or all of this money. This is unethical and tantamount to theft, and wold make me unwilling to be a future customer of Telus in any capacity, ever again.  Put bluntly, I do not do business with companies that have previously stolen from me.

Please consider this message an official complaint against Public Mobile and your business practices. If you do not contact me with a proposed resolution within 24 hours, I will escalate my complaint to the CCTS. 

little

I just received the same text message today too. shocking, 

I send Mod a message regarding to refund and false advertising, see how it goes

then CCTS, hopefully we have enough compliant to bring up awareness and fair treatment

dZilla

@mjswrote:

And although Public Mobile's service terms state that rates can change,  it still does not guarantee their legal right for that increase . It also comes down what what was disclosed during thy the plan sign up process and the information that was provided whether it was misleading or not or whether a voilance of the consumer protection act happened or not. I can guarantee one thing on my end and that is my willingness to initiate a claim in court,  whether it is class action or not . It will all depend on why Public Mobile decides to approach this matter .\

2018-02-15.png

Pretty self explanatory when I signed up. No surprises.

ToniCipriani

@methylwrote:

@NDesaiwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

Curious... has anyone NOT got the text message yet? I still haven't, but 2 of my friends already did.

You will within a next couple of days. If you don't, consider yourself a lucky one becasue words say that you are not effected if you don't get the text. 

If you didn't get the message it's probably because you haven't been billed for 3 months ahead yet. Message came for those who are billed till May for the most part. 

I just renewed last Saturday, first period with loyalty credit too.

ToniCipriani

@NDesaiwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

Curious... has anyone NOT got the text message yet? I still haven't, but 2 of my friends already did.

You will within a next couple of days. If you don't, consider yourself a lucky one becasue words say that you are not effected if you don't get the text. 

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that for a second. But until I receive that text, I don't consider myself officially notified.

The other thing is though, I noticed they sent this out via their promotions channel, see the footer about unsubscribing. I can't remember if I did unsubscribe initially, I never got the earlier Koodo switch promos either. So maybe there IS a chance I'll never get it.

adobochad

Dear @Moderator_Team,

I'm currently on the $120/month for 12GB plan. I just received a text message stating my cost will go up from $120/month to $150/month which goes against what I signed up for at the beginning when it was clearly stated that as long as I have my account active, I will be able to keep this price after the promo period. Please review this and if nothing can be done from your end to rectify this, then a complaint will be filed with the CCTS.

Respectfully,

Disappointed Customer

methyl

@NDesaiwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

If you didn't get the message it's probably because you haven't been billed for 3 months ahead yet. Message came for those who are billed till May for the most part. 

mjs

And although Public Mobile's service terms state that rates can change,  it still does not guarantee their legal right for that increase . It also comes down what what was disclosed during thy the plan sign up process and the information that was provided whether it was misleading or not or whether a voilance of the consumer protection act happened or not. I can guarantee one thing on my end and that is my willingness to initiate a claim in court,  whether it is class action or not . It will all depend on why Public Mobile decides to approach this matter .

NL1
Dear Public Mobile,

Today I received a text message telling me that my rate plan would be increasing by $10 per month. When I signed up to the plan it was because your website claimed:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

By raising the price of this plan, you are clearly engaging in false-advertising.

I would also like to add that the offered koodo plan does not meet my needs since the data doesn't roll over month to month. Moreover, I recently auto-renewed my plan and switching over would cause me to forfeit a significant sum of money. 

You may consider this my formal attempt to resolve this issue with you directly. If I do not hear back from you within 48 hours, I will initiate a formal complaint with the CRTC and the CCTS. Thank you for quickly resolving this matter. 

HSue

If our prepaid balance is not being transferred to Koodo, it might be worth waiting until early March (before the Koodo offer expires) since we already paid for three months back in January.  No use double paying for our service in until then.

sbreakin

@Fulgorewrote:

@gilbertwrote:

You have to buy a small tab to claim tne $100 from what I read.

I've heard people were able to switch and get the credit without having to get a device on a tab

Officially it's supposed to be on the TAB towards a new phone.

I'm gonna wait & make use of some of the 90days i've pre-paid for to see how it shakes out while also reviewing the competitive options & filing a complaint.  Although I've been trying to remain calm & thoughtful I really am getting more annoyed by the whole thing. First, as others have said why can they have sister company Koodo offer a similar data plan (yea no 90 days, & not really unlimited calling) but also have call centers, kiosks & phone discounts.  Second, why such a huge increase. I joined ~ Nov 2016 so about 1y 2mo ago & this increase is >25%.  Most folks were enticed to join with competitive offers to get them to move.  Third, Why is the switch offer to move to Koodo only valid for just over 1 month when most of us are on 90-day plans.  Now we have to try to get Koodo to offer some extra credit for the lost pre-paid service in order to get this offer.  Forth, WHy is there no official announcement & explanation other than the attempts by MODs I've seen to keep up?  Hey, even I haven't been able to read this whole thread. 

Need Help? Let's chat.