cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

anaik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jeffcottonwrote:

Guess they forgot about this?Guess they forgot about this?

Seems they have. I hope this is grounds for complaint! 

mike390

@ShawnC13wrote:

@Theprincipalwrote:

I have also filed a complaint. they SPECIFICALLY addressed this and stated this would not happen. This is complete bull**bleep**.

@Theprincipal, I agree I don't like the price hike but where did they say they would never raise the price of the fall promo

Its implied.  All other carriers grandfather plans, PM had even grandfathered in their pioneers as well. They gave no indication that it was a limited time price.  Its clearly a bait and switch to funnel customers into Koodo.  Every so often we all get texts trying to lure us into Koodo. Seems like they are getting more aggressive about it.

You are free to choose which company you want to give your money too, I personally do not want to give my money to a company who is actively trying to trick its members. 

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@staticcorywrote:

@RCUELLO

This is definitely the reason why we are getting an increase. Because Telus decided to match the 10gb/$60 offer, we now have to suffer. They need to get their money from somewhere.

IMO not a direct result of that. Carriers always hate prepaid subs and want postpaid more, with a higher ARPU. Brings up their blended ARPU.

It's true that they hate prepaid subs, but I still feel like the 10gb/$60 plan was a huge factor.
For example, they currectly have a 10gb plan for $115 on their website, by giving customers the plan for $60, they were "losing" $55, that's basically half of their normal price point. If they didn't match the 10gb/$60 offer, they would risk losing customers to the competition, so they didn't really have a choice. The amount of people that switched over was ridiculous, between koodo and rogers, while trying to sign up family members, I'd be on hold for 3+ hours at a time, with constant disconnects, which required me to call in, and wait again. So you could imagine the amount of people migrating from other companies, and current members switching over to the plan, would result in a huge loss to them. It's obviously my opinion, but I think this is the end result, at least in terms of Telus, sprinkled in with a little bit of hatred for prepaid, of course.

viviantung92

god, i still gotta pay for a new sim card....

j1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This essentially makes all of the rewards completely worthless. The rewards are one of the main reasons I even switched to Public Mobile in the first place.

I'm paying $99 per 90 days because of my rewards.

I'm so happy I earned a $12 off / year loyalty reward because now I have to pay $120 / year more!

To top it off, I'll likely lose most/all of my friend referals.

Exactly

Prepay can not top up for months at a time, prepay has no overages etc

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

IMO not a direct result of that. Carriers always hate prepaid subs and want postpaid more, with a higher ARPU. Brings up their blended ARPU.

@Acekillerwrote:

freak, i just loaded $200 to my account!

OUCH.  Message the mods and ask for a refund; hope you used a credit card. Still, depending on your rewards, you will be ahead provided Koodo holds the price more than a year ($120 annual saving + $100 Koodo credit).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jspeccwrote:

I just prepaid today on my account...what happens to the amount I just paid?

Do I get it back (or a portion prorated) if I make the switch over to Koodo?

No. That's what the supposed $100 credit is for.

jspecc

I just prepaid today on my account...what happens to the amount I just paid?

Do I get it back (or a portion prorated) if I make the switch over to Koodo?

v3nice

@koimr1wrote:

"Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday."

Source: Plans | Koodo Mobile

Oh seriously.... what is this? 2005? Thank goodness I don't talk on the phone much anyway but the wife will be upset, she needs it for work.

Phoning using Fongo on your phone to avoid using your phone seems just weird to even just type out.

LOL, what a joke. It's like having curfew.

@Theprincipalwrote:

I have also filed a complaint. they SPECIFICALLY addressed this and stated this would not happen. This is complete bull**bleep**.

@Theprincipal, I agree I don't like the price hike but where did they say they would never raise the price of the fall promo

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

v3nice

Capture.JPGThis is their freaking response! LOL! Price hike after referring friends and family, telling them how good PM are? 

ToniCipriani

@viviantung92wrote:

is there a canellation fee at PM when we switch to Koodo?

Only "fee" is any unused airtime at the time of port, e.g. if you just renewed you will lose the remaining already paid.

rita_fuchs

2.JPG
What are they trying to do by doing this? Loose clients? Force us to pay more by giving a huge increase so we accept to pay the small one?

his is 

lexcyn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just switched. This is shady AF. I know Telus owns PM and Koodo, but PM seems to be screwing everyone. I have a feeling Telus is just trying to kill off PM.

viviantung92

is there a canellation fee at PM when we switch to Koodo?

ToniCipriani

@staticcorywrote:

@RCUELLO

This is definitely the reason why we are getting an increase. Because Telus decided to match the 10gb/$60 offer, we now have to suffer. They need to get their money from somewhere.

Theprincipal

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RCUELLO

This is definitely the reason why we are getting an increase. Because Telus decided to match the 10gb/$60 offer, which meant a ridiculous amount of customers signed up for that plan, we now have to suffer. They need to get their money from somewhere.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

For everyone thinking about whether to move or stay, I wanted to give you some background.

I switched over from Koodo and while I was on Koodo, my plan had been grandfathered for about 4 years and likely longer but I decided to come over to PM. So I suspect that if you move to Koodo, based on my personal experience with their grandfathering history, you might not have to worry about another change to your plan. However, I don't make ANY guarantees and they could just end up shafting everyone again who ported over in a year. But based on what I've seen with PM in the past year, I wouldn't trust my phone plan with them anymore. We've seen it first hand with legacy customers getting shafted, and now us.

koimr1

"Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday."

Source: Plans | Koodo Mobile

Oh seriously.... what is this? 2005? Thank goodness I don't talk on the phone much anyway but the wife will be upset, she needs it for work.

Phoning using Fongo on your phone to avoid using your phone seems just weird to even just type out.

@kevin_camera Sorry, forgot about the Freedom promo. If it was $120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Global Text + 12GB Data, then likely those customers will also get the push. Seems Telus was upset with the reults of those promos.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

erotavlas

YES! this is ridiculous....they tricked everyone into signing up with them...this was their plan all along....who knows what they will do when we are with Koodo? hike those rates too????

Screw that.

smp99

Well, I am either going to switch or stay and drop to the 12GB 3G plan for $135 and hopefully convince my referals to do the same. That way I wont lose anything on my 90 days I just renewed.

I have seen 3g at work, and for my data needs, it's fast enough 

v3nice

@RCUELLOwrote:

I regret not switching to FIDO 10GB plan for $60 a month ago. 

ME TOO!!!!!!!

sonician

Telus OWNS Public Mobile.

sbreakin

Ergh. That is a huge increase $30 increase on a $120 plan.  25% in essentially 1 year.

I've only been on the plan for what about 1y 3mo as just got the1st-year loyalty credit. 

My wife just renewed days ago - so I guess she's price protected at PM but only until May & would lose out on the Koodo offer. Fortunately, I renew Mar 3rd so can consider this but just got the 1 yr loyalty credit & highest community credit I've had so far. 

I came from Koodo - so was happy with their service.  But since moving - I really like the 90-day term & no risks with roaming (don't even have to go into airplane mode if pop across order). 

It would be nice to get deals n phones - such as the recent deal on an  Essential phone for loyal customers or recent Pixel 2 deals. (I didn't do the sign up & cancel thing & making the Nexus 6 last 1 more year)

As both wife & I rarely use all the data - may be able to consider a cheaper plan but doubt much will be available.  Gosh between this & my SHaw increasing internet/ tv (yes I still have tv but those days are coming to an end with the ending of bundle deals). ..

lots of reading tonight as I look at the feedback  

sonician

-$15.00 for a Koodo SIM card, and a loss of any paid add-ons you had. Far less than $100 in the end.

zoomzoom87

@kav2001cwrote:

Lost potential income is not the same as lost income

@zoomzoom87wrote:

Because telus is losing money from pm  

Telus lost a bunch of their customers to pm and have continued to lose money as long as they were pm customers. Did you really think their business model would be sustainable. Money off every year, money off each referral. This was their plan all along. 

davidhoward012

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other carriers came in and price matched the $40/4GB PM rate. It makes perfect sense for them to do that, actually.

Collective outrage: check
Anger at Telus and flanker brands: check
Mass number of people ready to switch?: check

Perfect storm.

Need Help? Let's chat.