cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Fire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just renewed couple days ago.

PM, you can't do this!

peosteve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

To me it seems like a good thing - Canada-wide calling at the same price. Why is everyone so pissed?  Because they'll lose $6/month in loyalty and referral fees?  Koodo has referal fees as well.

Can any moderator tell us what extra data will cost on this plan?  I just looked at Koodo and additional data is $7/100 MB.  That's nuts.  

I think it's only fair that we get a bit more information.  Can we get a tab?  What else is included?  There's very little information in the text.

@motuwrote:

My plan just renewed.... does that mean I am going to have to eat 80 bucks worth of prepayments if I move over?

Yes. But there will be a $100 credit to your Koodo account as compensation.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ryanmobilewrote:

I agree.... CRTC time.

Technically, they didn't do anything out of line, CRTC, CCTS won't do anything about it. They gave you 30 day notice, people won't actually see the increase till next month.

This is the downside of a prepaid or 30 day agreement, you don't get any protections.

Your only counter as a consumer, is to port out. Make their ARPU hurt.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pirahna97wrote:

Even if you switch to koodo you lose all your rewards and referrals. 

Yessss. 

1f62d.png

coltonbauman

I I just got this text as well, and I'd imagine my wife will too. Really sucks, but I can't say i didn't see it coming. It's obvious public mobile will eventially be killed by Telus. 

aumitche

On the "bright" side, Koodo seems to be offering Canada-wide calling instead of provincial calling for $40 (Is texting still global?). Not too thrilled to jump back from $37 to $40 but that makes it seem a little better. Now let's see if Koodo's US roaming is any better…Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 14.32.43.png

kevin_camera

I do have a lot of referral credits as well as a long time customer credit (going to be 3 years in a few more months).

koimr1

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@koimr1wrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

I guess I'm lucky I just renewed last week with my first year loyalty reward and won't have to deal with it till May...

Actually the Koodo offer is only good until March 15.

Doesn't matter... I didn't even get the text, yet.

I haven't gotten it either.

I'm also lucky that if I do get it my next renewal date is actually Mar 16 (with two other lines renewing a couple days afterwards) so I'm not out by much. Still - the nice thing would've been to have the Koodo expiry limit be based on the latest renewal dates of the affected customers or just give 90 days from the announcement to avoid this situation.

zoomzoom87

Got it as well. Argh 

achao

This definitely sucks, since my entire family is on the 12GB/40/3 month plan. 

Now, the real question is, since my plan just autorenewed, is PM going to refund me unused funds if I leave?  They'd better.  Or else there is gonna be some angry horde with pitchforks.

pw1234

Another difference is Public is prepaid so no surprises, whereas Koodoo is post paid so potential surprises. Im going to be looking to get away from the Telus family altogether. this is brutal!

agnesaurus

Same. Renewed just a few days ago. If I have to capitalize on the Koodo deal, it would mean losing out on two months of pre-pay. Mods, there either should be a refund, addiitonal credit to Koodo, or extend the Koodo offer to be available for 90 days to ensure that others are not in a similar situation.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kevin_camera

Maybe those with a ton of referrals and credits?

ryanmobile

I agree.... CRTC time.

mikasik

Doesn't Koodo require a credit check to use?  This is the main reason I'm using PM

Scarlet

Got the same text. That's BS, I only switched to Public because I thought I would be able to keep this plan while getting the yearly $1 discount. Time to file complaints and flame the S*** out of this change. 

zmawani

I also just got this text! NOT IMPRESSED!

kevin_camera

I need some clarity here -- is this a TARGETTED increase or happening to all users?

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pirahna97

@Pirahna97wrote:

I actually think is a really dumb move since all major carriers offered 10GB for $50 during the holidays and we gonna be paying same for 4GB a month. Even if you switch to koodo you lose all your rewards and referrals. 

I think it was 10 for $60, but whatever, had I known this would happen, I would have bid farewell to PM and jumped on those plans instead.

smp99

I suspect the $100 bill credit is there to offset any money you may have already prepaid. I just renewed 6 days ago

ryanmobile

This is BS. Maybe we should contact the CRTC and see if they can do something about keeping us on the plans we all left other carriers for.

ute1978

I surely hope there is an official announcement. My question would be: Will all plans on Public Mobile increase on March 20?

What if I just switch to a new plan for 3GB + 3GB (which is half data but still enough for me) for $120? Will that work?

cardina

whats not to say that if you join this koodoo plan that they wont do the same **bleep** thing?!

wlz1028

technology goes backwards here...

koimr1

@kjmckenzwrote:

@koimr1wrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

I guess I'm lucky I just renewed last week with my first year loyalty reward and won't have to deal with it till May...

So, if my PM plan doesn't renew until after March 15, I'm supposed to port my number out EARLY in order to "benefit" from the Koodo deal?  Not sure that makes it any better...

Bascially yes. 😞

Pirahna97

I actually think is a really dumb move since all major carriers offered 10GB for $50 during the holidays and we gonna be paying same for 4GB a month. Even if you switch to koodo you lose all your rewards and referrals. 

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@koimr1wrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

Doesn't matter... I didn't even get the text, yet.

Watoko

At first when I got the text message, I was thinking this has to be a mistake...but if this is true, I am really really disappointed. It seems good things really do come to an end. I really should have just jumped ship during the $60 10GB promo a few months back. Time to start looking elsewhere!

Probably have expressed this multiple times a couple months back that I am disappointed with the direction that PM is headed in, and again another disappointment, hence I have no longer been as active on the forums as I had been before. As much as I do want to stick with one particular company, it seems customer loyalty is hard these days with our Canadian market being so uncompetitive....

smp99

This kinda sucks. I just got it as well. I am down to about $25-$27/month with referals/loyalty credits. Last month I got over $40 to go against my $120 bill.

I suspect my referals will jump at this. So my cost will likely go up no matter which option I take. 

So much for PM never increasing plans so long as you don't change your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.