cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G and 4G network?

Sunshine-754
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

W

hat is the difference in speed between the two for data and cell phone?

16 REPLIES 16

@srlawren wrote:

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

What about 5G

@dboxtvinfo715 I'm sure PM would be happy to sell you a 5G plan by 2021 or 2022... but it will probably be throttled down to 3Mbps and marketed as a 3G plan.  Enjoy!

When that happens, 5g could be throttled to 3Mbps, but what will the LTE network speed be? Willl customers be able to get up to 750Mbps?

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Commercial 5G networks are live across the world. Ericsson has been a key player in making this happen since the very start – setting the requirements, driving the standardization, developing our portfolio and building the eco-system. This new communication technology brings new capabilities that will create opportunities for people, businesses and society. So what is 5G and what will it mean for you?

@srlawren wrote:

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

What will it help mostly ? Streaming ? Bandwith?

@dboxtvinfo715 see here:  https://lmgtfy.com/?q=in+what+ways+is+5g+better+than+4g%3F

dboxtvinfo715

🤾⛹️ Awesome

@srlawren wrote:

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

@dboxtvinfo715 see here:  https://lmgtfy.com/?q=in+what+ways+is+5g+better+than+4g%3F

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dboxtvinfo715

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

What about 5G

@dboxtvinfo715 I'm sure PM would be happy to sell you a 5G plan by 2021 or 2022... but it will probably be throttled down to 3Mbps and marketed as a 3G plan.  Enjoy!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dboxtvinfo715

What about 5G

ksterr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tested it again just now, looks like the data speeds have been throttled down. 

I'm now down to 3 DL / 2 UL. 

sonejose
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey, even I use to have this problem in some particular areas were the internet connectivity is too slow. I imagine this would because there is no proper channel to get the connectivity. I think public mobile should develop in this problem where the internet is too slow.

@ksterr wrote:

@LovesToPM 

I joined PM last night and tested the speeds via SpeedTest - PM 3G vs Fido LTE. 

I was a bit surprised by the results, I got:

- PM 3G 10.7 DL / 1.69 UL

- Fido LTE 7.53 DL / 5.68 UL

So, am I to expect slower 3G speeds after a few days?

Which type of network were you connected to when running that test for Public Mobile?  The speed reduction when connected to the LTE network happens after 48 hours.

ksterr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@LovesToPM 

I joined PM last night and tested the speeds via SpeedTest - PM 3G vs Fido LTE. 

I was a bit surprised by the results, I got:

- PM 3G 10.7 DL / 1.69 UL

- Fido LTE 7.53 DL / 5.68 UL

So, am I to expect slower 3G speeds after a few days?

@will13am it varies widely by location. In my personal experience, 4G has always been superior to 3G.

B2 still has DC-HSPA in many markets. B5 has been single channel HSPA for a few years now.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Sunshine-754 wrote:

W

hat is the difference in speed between the two for data and cell phone?

You will not notice much difference when streaming HD content (720p and even 1080p).

You will notice the difference when downloading large files.

Note that when you activate a new plan, there is a delay (of 2 days) before your speed starts to be throttled.

@sheytoon wrote:

Voice calls only use the 3G network. Text messages can work on 3G or 4G.

UL/DL data speeds are limited to 3 Mbps with the 4G network (if using "3G speed" plans).

DL data speeds are unlimited (up to 42 Mbps in theory, realistically up to 35 Mbps) with the 3G network.

UL data speeds are unlimited (up to 5 Mbps realistically) with the 3G network.

In my experience, 4G performs better in weak coverage areas.

I will flavor this with some personal experience.  In Durham region, the 3G network is becoming borderline garbage for data, competing with Freedom for bottom feeder honors.  When I first joined over 3 years ago, this was not the case.  I am wondering if this change is due to repurposing spectrum from 3G service to 4G.  @sheytoon , any comments?

@sheytoon wrote:

UL/DL data speeds are limited to 3 Mbps with the 4G network (if using "3G speed" plans).

DL data speeds are unlimited (up to 42 Mbps in theory, realistically up to 35 Mbps) with the 3G network.

Thanks for the information.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.