cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30$ 1GB + 100$ credit - Koodo - So I got a message from public mobile to switch to koodo

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey folks, I don't know if it's worth it or not. I'm currently on the 90$/1.5gb plan here. I received a message from publicmobile with an offer to switch to koodo for 30$ 1gb per month. Worth the switch or not? What's happening with public mobile throwing away their customer to koodo? Honestly, I'd switch if it was 2gb for 30$. Else, not worth I guess?

EDIT

You also get 100$ credit (25$ over four months)

41 REPLIES 41

MEU_21

As I mentioned earlier, it's worth waiting for the weekend... WoW has the iPhone 6 or A5 for free with a 2 year Tab medium + You get $300 in prepaid Credit Card + $50 for a trade-in YMMV. This means that your Tab is essentially paid for as well and you get an iPhone 6 or A5. I'm not a big iPhone fan though.

I would also recommend looking at Walmart, since they usually have a similar offer for iPhones and Android Phones. I was able to get the Samsung A5 with a $350 Walmart Gift Card.

@ShelburneGuy wrote:

Be 100% aware you will loose any exisiting credit balances and addons with Public Mobile,  Along with the $2 Auto Pay reward. You will also be charged a $30 connection fee instore which they conviently don't mention. In Store Reps are absoultly clueless about this promotion and will say anything to get you to sign on.

All in all I actually lost $30 by doing this.

Futhermore this is not exactly a great deal, especially when you can receive gift cards and referal credits by going through Walmart, Best Buy, Mobile Boutique,or Tbooth and becoming a new customer instead albiet it will cost you a little more per month. Not all impressed by either side and tempted to tell both Public and Koodo to shove their service where the sun doesn't shine. 

These migration offers are not for everyone.  There are benefits with going to Koodo and there are benefits of staying.  You have to examine your own personal situation and decide who offers the better set of benefits.  In my own case, I did migrate some of my accounts but now all when offered the migration package in February.  This speaks loudly to the fact that there is no one size fit all solution. 

As for the cost of doing online vs in store migration, I don't know what to say other than tribal knowledge is always key.  It has been announced long ago that stores would be charging $30 for activation services.  Around here, there is forever debate about why this online service model does not have a call center or physical stores.  I think are seeing why.  Koodo has decided to properly assign the cost of running stores to those who want to use them.  As a person trying my level best to embrace the benefits of the 21st century shopping model, I don't blame them.  Why should I help subsidize your desire to use a store? 

Gifts and inducements from third party retailers are an entirely different matter.  Those are given out to qualifying new activations.  When I migrated back in February, I did have the option of going to Walmart and WoW to activate and obtain gift cards in exchange for signing up a new line and putting an iPhone 6 on tab.  I don't want a 4 year old phone even if retailers paid me to take it.  That is my view but others were had a totally different opinion.  Again, no one size fit all solution.  Regardless, I don't see how this in any way makes the migration offer good or bad.

Overall, my judgment of the situation is that you did not complete the necessary research before taking action.  It is well known that prepaid service does not provide refunds and that is what the bill credit helps to offset.  After the fact with the benefit of hindsight you are now lamenting what you see as a bad decision and blaming what you characterize as the bad offer for making you take the bad decision.  I didn't get it all right in my migration either, maybe next time. 

ShelburneGuy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Be 100% aware you will loose any exisiting credit balances and addons with Public Mobile,  Along with the $2 Auto Pay reward. You will also be charged a $30 connection fee instore which they conviently don't mention. In Store Reps are absoultly clueless about this promotion and will say anything to get you to sign on.

All in all I actually lost $30 by doing this.

Futhermore this is not exactly a great deal, especially when you can receive gift cards and referal credits by going through Walmart, Best Buy, Mobile Boutique,or Tbooth and becoming a new customer instead albiet it will cost you a little more per month. Not all impressed by either side and tempted to tell both Public and Koodo to shove their service where the sun doesn't shine. 

tzliu

No one goes out of their way to give me free money / extra service. This is a way for us to end up paying more.

Well said.

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wait, do you guys realize there's a 2GB plan for $35 from Koodo with a $30 bill credit? That's what my text message from koodo said, that's the plan I'm switching to.

X-Files

loggywd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Actually I do know why. Company executives get paid in stock options. Whenever there is aggressive marketing, price hike or layoff, stock rises like crazy. No regard for long term profitability, credibility or reputation.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If anyone would like a Koodo referral code (good for $50 for each of us), please send me a private message and I'm happy to send you one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bilal684

@Luddite wrote:

@bilal684 Network speed will also be LTE not 3G. I think your plan is 3G?

Correct, it'll be LTE and not 3G xD

@bilal684 Network speed will also be LTE not 3G. I think your plan is 3G?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MEU_21

@on2wheels wrote:

@loggywdwhat about our PM sim, will we need a new one at koodo?

Yes. If you want a phone I would go to Walmart or WoW, depending on the best deals. They can take care of everything there.

bilal684

@on2wheels wrote:

Yes you'll need a new one for koodo. If you activate online, the sim is free.

loggywd

Yes you need a new one. I think with the promotion you get it for free.

on2wheels

loggywd

I don't know why telus is offering a rather aggressive promotion for people to switch. Public was a good experiment. People liked the service-essential, no-nonsense, minimal-marketing, transparent-pricing, finance-free, community based business model. Yes it is fairly cheap but there is more than that. I don't know how many people switch away from public but I suspect it's not that many. Maybe the profit margin is too low for shareholders' liking but I am surprised telus tried to market to these users. This is not a good move.

loggywd

Yes. Just go to plan, select the $55 per month plan which is what they are offering for $30. Add to cart and put in promotion code at checkout

@bilal684 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

For those who have been targeted, the migration plan being offered is linked to the plan at Public Mobile.  If two accounts have the same plan here, the migration offer would be identical.  Generally, the idea is to offer something that closely matches to the existing plan.  As for the question of do I go or do I stay, it's a personal choice.  If you dissect the entire offer into individual components, there's going to be some apples to oranges comparisons that don't lend themselves to easy evaluation.  This service is prepaid, Koodo is postpaid.  I am not sure if the migration offers include access to hardware.  If they do, it's a benefit not found here.  The bill credit covers stranded charges with this service and can help to offset some lost rewards.  

BTW, those that do decide to migrate, don't forget that Koodo does offer a one time referral credit for both parties.  Feel free to private message me about this.  It's a bit tacky to discuss in the public forum.

Do you know if the referral credit can be applied to user who already have an account with koodo? I have an account with koodo for home phone. However, I'm willing to switch my cellphone service to koodo if I can also get that extra 50$ credit on my existing account... I don't want to have two different koodo account... 😕

Yes, home phone will not affect eligibility for referral reward.  Home phone lines don't get the reward.

So I can get a referal link from someone and use it on a new line I add to my existing koodo account because all I have on my koodo account is my home phone line?

That is correct, check your private message box.

bilal684

@will13am wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

For those who have been targeted, the migration plan being offered is linked to the plan at Public Mobile.  If two accounts have the same plan here, the migration offer would be identical.  Generally, the idea is to offer something that closely matches to the existing plan.  As for the question of do I go or do I stay, it's a personal choice.  If you dissect the entire offer into individual components, there's going to be some apples to oranges comparisons that don't lend themselves to easy evaluation.  This service is prepaid, Koodo is postpaid.  I am not sure if the migration offers include access to hardware.  If they do, it's a benefit not found here.  The bill credit covers stranded charges with this service and can help to offset some lost rewards.  

BTW, those that do decide to migrate, don't forget that Koodo does offer a one time referral credit for both parties.  Feel free to private message me about this.  It's a bit tacky to discuss in the public forum.

Do you know if the referral credit can be applied to user who already have an account with koodo? I have an account with koodo for home phone. However, I'm willing to switch my cellphone service to koodo if I can also get that extra 50$ credit on my existing account... I don't want to have two different koodo account... 😕

Yes, home phone will not affect eligibility for referral reward.  Home phone lines don't get the reward.

So I can get a referal link from someone and use it on a new line I add to my existing koodo account because all I have on my koodo account is my home phone line?

on2wheels

Just read the terms, says to get a "new koodo phone number". If I have to change my number I'm not doing it.

index.png

acmethod

I've just been offerd the $30 1GB.

I'm currently in the $30 500MB here at PM. 

I've been a customer at PM for 4 months and overall have been quite happy. I did contact the moderators about switching to the 30day 1GB PM was offering new customers, but it seemed to be a no go.

The benifits of the new Koodo Plan are just too hard to pass up, i think i pretty much have to pull the trigger, even though i'll break my 90 day contract well before it expires.

This promo expires May 13th, and my PM plan renews June 4th.

@MEU_21 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@MEU_21 wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

I tried redeeming the offer but I got an error when I was adding a line. Couldn't redeem it, their website is as buggy as public mobile's website.

I would go to Walmart or WoW on the weekend and take advantage of their Gift Card promotions... basically, you essentially get a free phone.

There's a $30 advantage doing this online.  Activation fee is free.  Also these migration plans may not offer hardware.  If they don't Walmart won't be able to offer any advantages.

Yeah, but when you get $300 in Gift Card from Walmart, it's a no brainer

If you already have an account with Koodo, open another account with another email address. You may be able to combine those two accounts later on.

There's a string attached.  You have to get a phone.  These cheap migration plans will definitely not qualify for a medium tab.  That's the eligibility requirement for the Walmart gift card.

@bilal684 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

on2wheels

So what's the best process here, go into the Walkmart and show them this promo code offer to get this plan? Do I need to create an account online first to take advantage of someones referral link or is the referall only working if I do the whole process online and not going into a store?

MEU_21

@will13am wrote:

@MEU_21 wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

I tried redeeming the offer but I got an error when I was adding a line. Couldn't redeem it, their website is as buggy as public mobile's website.

I would go to Walmart or WoW on the weekend and take advantage of their Gift Card promotions... basically, you essentially get a free phone.

There's a $30 advantage doing this online.  Activation fee is free.  Also these migration plans may not offer hardware.  If they don't Walmart won't be able to offer any advantages.

Yeah, but when you get $300 in Gift Card from Walmart, it's a no brainer

If you already have an account with Koodo, open another account with another email address. You may be able to combine those two accounts later on.

@MEU_21 wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

bilal684

@will13am wrote:

MEU_21

I posted this in the other thread, but for those considering the switch,

It's worth it if you want to buy phones as well. It's worth it to have one Koodo and one PM account (my setup) this gives me phone and decent plans. Telus wants you to move so that they can improve post-paid numbers.

Some benefits with Koodo, keep in mind some are more expensive than the PM add-ons:

1. Long distance call anywhere

2. Roaming anywhere

3. Subsidized phones

Disadvantages;

1. Post paid

2. May incur costs from over use

3. Must be on 30 day plan. (No 90 day option)

If you need a referral you can PM me.

@on2wheels wrote:

Is there a way to redeem this offer on a desktop browser? I got the link via text message but the phone i'm using is so old its not responding if i tap the link.

And if I type the link in my browser i get the default koodo page

Yes, the text message should come with a promo code that you can apply online using any computer.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.