cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Promo Customer - To Jump Or Not?

smilingeyes70
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been a fan and supporter of PM for over a year and a half. I am happy with the service, the value, the customer service and the community approach. I like the Autopay, Community Rewards, Loyalty Rewards vibe. If I believed, as was promised when I signed up, that I could keep my 90 day plan for as long as I wanted it, I would not consider leaving. 

I'm using an iPhone 5; it's fine but I am upgrading. I will be purchasing an iPhone 8 Plus in the next 2 months. 

If I was confidant that my plan was not going to be cancelled, I would buy this expensive phone outright because I would be confidant that over the 4-5 years that I would be using it, sticking with PM would pay off. 

Having said that, Freedom, as everyone knows is offering this phone for $0 down and $25 a month over a 2 year contract (minimum $50 plan). I'm paying roughly $37 a month with PM and this payment will only drop over time as loyalty rewards increase. 

I'm positive that my situtation is not terribly unique and that many others are deciding using similar thought patterns. I value a low cost monthly plan that meets my needs (PM). I can afford to buy the new phone outright. 

I'd love any thoughts anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

Alon

37 REPLIES 37

saje_ward
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm staying until the bitter end. This plan works for me and I don't need more data. I like being pre-apid because there are no surprises on my bill. I'll buy a new phone at some point and hope for the best. I'm riding this train until the very last station!

tzliu

When the dust settles, who wins and who loses? 

TELUS seems to be only winner as it will have got the joyful jumpers exactly where it wants them to be.

MrPants

@srlawrenwrote:

@ryanwoo what would be the fun in that?!?!  

[note:  yes, I'm kidding/being sarcastic]

As an aside - the world needs a Sarcasm Font. Just sayin'

tzliu

@smilingeyes70wrote:

I agree. If not for the need for a new phone I would be staying put and waiting it out. The Kodoo offer doesn't appeal to me at all - they have no savings on the phone (just a bogus tab that charges you over time). Freedom actually saves you significant money on the phone which is enticing...

You could have the greatest and least expensive iPhone, but if you can't use it then what is good?  A long suffering Wind Mobile/FM customer (switched from FIDO at the very beginning) with poor reception and lousy data service, not looking forward to going back. 

I am staying with PM until TELUS forces us out.  

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM being not transparent to its customers is something worries me. Pushing its customers out of the door (even with a good offer) is another thing unusual.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ryanwoo what would be the fun in that?!?!  

[note:  yes, I'm kidding/being sarcastic]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The final offer to kick us out may not be as good as this koodo offer. Dilemma. 

Why can't Public Mobile just tell us what will happen if we stay?

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ludditewrote:

@koimr1 @computergeek541 @Wonder_why et al. We are sad to see you go. Robot Sad

From us all:

Yawn.jpeg Gandalf.jpg medium.png

ColossusRebuild_11.jpgRalphRalphlarge.png

I don't know what any of that means but I'll bravo it anyway!! 🙂

@koimr1 @computergeek541 @Wonder_why et al. We are sad to see you go. Robot Sad

From us all:

Yawn.jpeg Gandalf.jpg medium.png

ColossusRebuild_11.jpgRalphRalphlarge.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Civic_Ewrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

To Everyone who is switching to Koodo,

With PM and Fall promo(with no surprise) you have the ability to complain to CCTS if they increase the plan. Now with Koodo if they give you a notice and increase the price to $60 you can't do anything.

I respectfully disagree with that.  The legal and binding document is the terms of service.  The interpretation of the terms of service is grey.  You are standing on pretty loose soil if you think that you will NEVER see a price increase on the strength of a misinterpretation of the terms of service.

@will13amwhen people filed complain against PM for price increase what kind of interpretation was that? The complain was against their marketing or advertising not ToS. Yes they can raise price based on their ToS, but then it would go against their advertisement of the Fall Promo. Am i right?

I am not a lawyer and so I don't know exactly what to say about this.  All I know is that the complaints are being dismissed on the grounds that the price increase has been shelved.  There was no ruling rendered on whether Public Mobile did anything wrong.  What is clear is that the terms of service that we are bounded by has not been changed by this incident.  So, they are free to take another run at us anytime they like.  If there are any advertising or marketing missteps, it will be repackaged the next time.  I have no reason to believe that we have a guaranteed fixed price plan for life.  In fact, the community post that was referred to was a generic response of how plan pricing does or does not change across a renewal date.  So, if your interpretation is correct, then the rate increases for the legacy customers that we have seen in recent times is illegal.  Your chair is too comfortable my friend. 

@imm1304wrote:

@Civic_E, I think PM backed down from the price increase because they realized that they had made thousands of customers very angry and it was starting to generate tons of negative publicity.   Besides, it has become crystal clear since then that PM never really intended to make people pay more at PM.. the idea was to motivate the customer to move to Koodo.  It was a poor attempt at the carrot and sticks game that backfired in this instance.  This is why they chose to sweeten the deal and make the migration irresistable as plan B.  

Had they pushed ahead with this price increase, I am sure that they would have been within their rights to do so.  As customers, our options would be to either accept the price increase, or find a better plan at PM or elsewhere.  

It was really boneheaded to whack the customer and then turn around and tell them here is a great offer, please leave.  The migration plan should sell itself on merit.  Delivering it with a smile would have been the right thing to do. 

koimr1

@Civic_Ewrote:

@koimr1I suppose you moved to Koodo already!

Yeah, it's on-going. I have my own line over already and two family members have their SIMs ordered and awaiting shipment.

My thought was that with the credits Telus/Koodo will want to make that back so they won't risk a price increase too soon or a lot of people will really get upset and just leave for a non-Telus company plus I believe at some point PM will announce some kind of major change like switching all LTE plans down to their throttled-LTE (I hate calling it "3G", this is not 2009) or similar.

Before I switched my wife told me she'd gladly pay double if it meant I'd stop stressing about it all. 🙂 There's not much we, as consumers, can really do, is there?

MrPants

I have also been a long time fan of Public Mobile. In fact, my 2 year anniversary is this April. I'm also uncertain and conflicted about what is going on with the Fall 2016 promo plan customers ($120/90 day/12GB plan).

I really appreciate the flexibility of being able to use my 12GB of data over 90 days. This system works really well for me.

All these Koodo offers are great post paid offers, but I am going to gamble and stick with my current Public Mobile plan until either the price goes up or something better in the prepaid world comes along. Wish me luck!

MVP

P.S. Basically the first rebellion attempt succeeded, because Telus was afraid  of a  negative media coverage impact.

Now, as the Fall2016promo base is  (being) largely dissolved by  $40/6GB Koodo offer, which seems to be  very popular, the next attempt of Telus to raise the price will have much better chances for success.

MVP

@will13amwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

With PM and Fall promo(with no surprise) you have the ability to complain to CCTS if they increase the plan. Now with Koodo if they give you a notice and increase the price to $60 you can't do anything.

I respectfully disagree with that.  The legal and binding document is the terms of service.  The interpretation of the terms of service is grey.  You are standing on pretty loose soil if you think that you will NEVER see a price increase on the strength of a misinterpretation of the terms of service.

I do not like it, but I have to second  your opinion. The failed  attempt  to bump the price by a $10/month was quite telling, as well as  thatsomewhat ominous note from PM manager, that "good things come to an end" 🙂

Civic_E

@koimr1I suppose you moved to Koodo already!

@koimr1wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

This is a response from CCTS.

Screenshot-2018-3-8 Your Public Mobile Complaint - maruf919 gmail com - Gmail.png

if my complain to them was invalid based on the fact that carriers can change plan  with 30 days notice then I would have expect some other response like...."They can do whatever they want because they gave you 30 days notice"

Read that over again - CCTS hadn't even begun investigating yet. All it is saying is that you complained about the rate increase and now that PM withdrew it your complaint will be withdrawn unless you have other issues with PM.

That was NOT a ruling.

Civic_E

@koimr1wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

@koimr1wrote:

Yup, this is the answer.

The CRTC Wireless Code allows carriers to change an existing rate plans/terms/etc. with 30 days notice with our recourse simply being we can choose to either accept or go elsewhere.

Then why did people complain about the price increase?

Because they promised something and tried to change it using the above.

Legally they are able to do so - morally it was a broken promise.

Had the complaints continued I have a feeling Telus/PM would've prevailed but the public relations hit would've far outweighed any victory so they relented and now we are bombarded with the Koodo offers.

Btw, I don't like this any more than you do - I think it's the same as promising something in the schoolyard with your fingers crossed behind your back.

Tts just a phone plan. Got bigger things to worry about in life than cellphone plans. Wish all Canadians would abandon using cellphone for a month to teach these big 3 a lesson. This whole system is messed up. $100+tax for a basic 2GB phone plan with Rogers. With minimum wage in ON being $14, that's almost 10 hours of your pay, then there is rent that increases by 1.8% a year, food, transportation cost etc etc... We are prisoners to them already. The whole system wants us to live in proverty and somehow pretend to be the first nation in the world! ! !

koimr1

@Civic_Ewrote:

Screenshot-2018-3-8 Your Public Mobile Complaint - maruf919 gmail com - Gmail.png

if my complain to them was invalid based on the fact that carriers can change plan  with 30 days notice then I would have expect some other response like...."They can do whatever they want because they gave you 30 days notice"

Read that over again - CCTS hadn't even begun investigating yet. All it is saying is that you complained about the rate increase and now that PM withdrew it your complaint will be withdrawn unless you have other issues with PM.

That was NOT a ruling.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Civic_E, I think PM backed down from the price increase because they realized that they had made thousands of customers very angry and it was starting to generate tons of negative publicity.   Besides, it has become crystal clear since then that PM never really intended to make people pay more at PM.. the idea was to motivate the customer to move to Koodo.  It was a poor attempt at the carrot and sticks game that backfired in this instance.  This is why they chose to sweeten the deal and make the migration irresistable as plan B.  

Had they pushed ahead with this price increase, I am sure that they would have been within their rights to do so.  As customers, our options would be to either accept the price increase, or find a better plan at PM or elsewhere.  

koimr1

@Civic_Ewrote:

@koimr1wrote:

Yup, this is the answer.

The CRTC Wireless Code allows carriers to change an existing rate plans/terms/etc. with 30 days notice with our recourse simply being we can choose to either accept or go elsewhere.

Because they promised something and tried to change it using the above.

Legally they are able to do so - morally it was a broken promise.

Had the complaints continued I have a feeling Telus/PM would've prevailed but the public relations hit would've far outweighed any victory so they relented and now we are bombarded with the Koodo offers.

Btw, I don't like this any more than you do - I think it's the same as promising something in the schoolyard with your fingers crossed behind your back.

Civic_E

Civic_E

@koimr1wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

Yup, this is the answer.

Civic_E

@will13amwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

@will13amwhen people filed complain against PM for price increase what kind of interpretation was that? The complain was against their marketing or advertising not ToS. Yes they can raise price based on their ToS, but then it would go against their advertisement of the Fall Promo. Am i right?

koimr1

@will13amwrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

Yup, this is the answer.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I am seriously thinking of jumping in all honesty 

smilingeyes70

Good point!

Is anyone clear on the tab system at koodo? If I decided to port based on this latest offer, how much would an iphone 8 plus 64 gb cost?

@Civic_Ewrote:

Hope they dont remove the reward system, otherwise the whole deal is over, same as price increase.  

Did the koodoo have price increase on their legacy plan?

smilingeyes70

I agree. If not for the need for a new phone I would be staying put and waiting it out. The Kodoo offer doesn't appeal to me at all - they have no savings on the phone (just a bogus tab that charges you over time). Freedom actually saves you significant money on the phone which is enticing...

closng

@smilingeyes70wrote:

I have been a fan and supporter of PM for over a year and a half. I am happy with the service, the value, the customer service and the community approach. I like the Autopay, Community Rewards, Loyalty Rewards vibe. If I believed, as was promised when I signed up, that I could keep my 90 day plan for as long as I wanted it, I would not consider leaving. 

The bolded sums up how a lot of us with PM feel, if there is certainty that the plan will not get altered in anyway in the future, I believe many of us would be sticking around with PM. But I don't believe we will get any assurance of this from PM because that will go against what Telus wants, which is to migrate many of us to Koodo 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.