cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% non-techie question on international travel

ltfrombc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am leaving to travel internationally on a cruise shortly. I currently have a plan that has: 

• - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

I know I cannot get an international roaming package. My questions are:

• I pre-pay for my account so there is no possible way I will be charged roaming, correct? Even for the couple of days I will be in the US? So it will matter if the mobile data is left on or turned off?
  • I assume I can still send/receive text messages whether I turn off my mobile data or not?
  • Is there a list of countries that cannot be texted to? Specifically, I am looking at Caribbean and Central America countries.
  • While on the cruise ship sailing between the islands, I will not be able to send/receive text messages, is this correct?

Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.

4 REPLIES 4

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's a prepay service. Anything not paid for in advance you won't get. You don't need to worry about surprise charges while travelling. My phone (when in the USA) often shows AT&T (for example) so it is connected to their towers, but since I didn't have USA calling, it simply did nothing. You can't dial out or anything while roaming outside of your calling package. No data access, etc. either. I never bother to disable anything and so far no issues at all (and there should never be due to the whole, prepay only service.)

A friend of mine on postpaid was the complete opposite story. It connected and decided to do an O/S update as well as a bunch of app updates while in the USA. Their next bill was very high. They now disable everything when crossing to prevent it from happening again or leave their phone behind.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ltfrombc went on a cruise last feb on proncess. Did not have a roaming package but when I  was onboard and they turned on roaming at sea network, I was able to make and receive calls and it cost me 0$.

They might have fixed that loophole ability to make calls .but if they haven't  call away on the cruise.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile has an add-on that will allow you to call Canada and USA numbers as well as text anyone anywhere. This plan will cost you $15 and last for 10days with no limits on the number of calls and texts. That plan will work while in USA only. For other international travel, PM doesn't have coverage at this time. You can consider the VOIP options available...they'll allow text and vioce calling as long as you're connected to wifi. Most cruisers have wifi these days now. As PM is a prepaid service, there's no mysterious extra overages that other cell provider plans have. Safe travels wherever you go.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

• I pre-pay for my account so there is no possible way I will be charged roaming, correct? Even for the couple of days I will be in the US? So it will matter if the mobile data is left on or turned off?
  • Correct, you will not be charged for any roaming.  Wheter you turn on or off data.
  • I assume I can still send/receive text messages whether I turn off my mobile data or not?
  • In USA, you will be able to receive text.  Unable to send texts.  In other countries, unable to receive or send texts.
  • Is there a list of countries that cannot be texted to? Specifically, I am looking at Caribbean and Central America countries.
  • You can send texts to any Country, but you need to based in Canada.  Ie. You can't text to another country in the USA, etc.
  • While on the cruise ship sailing between the islands, I will not be able to send/receive text messages, is this correct?
  • If you are able to get USA Carrier, you might be able to receive texts.  Unable to send. 

@ltfrombc

See answers above.  You could buy a 10 day US roaming package.  Not sure where your cruise exactly goes to.  But, you may be able to get cell connection with US carrier if your ship sails near the USA.  

Others who have done cruises might be able to answer you better if they used the US roaming packages, etc.

Need Help? Let's chat.