Did you mean: 

email

ntaylor3435
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do you change your email address?

31 REPLIES 31

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Just FYI and update to the question about why an email change was sending the password reset emails to the old email address. 

So to recap after the first attempt (Sunday) to reset the password on the self serve account and finding the reset email going to the old email address, I repeated the test again on Monday with the same results and then contacted moderators.  They must have been very busy as it took them over 12 hours to respond back and then again almost another day for the second response (after verification) which was this morning but a few messages back and forth since then were all done fairly quickly. 

The moderator confirmed that the email change requested in early Oct. had not been fully updated in PM's system.   Here is part of the response with his explanation (bold)..

"It seems like previously all the other information was changed effectively but this one was missed and this gmail address still remained as a recovery e-mail for the password resets.

I was able to modify the above mentioned, and right now they all should go to the same e-mail.

Looking forward to your response !

Kind regards"

Thankfully, this has now been fixed (tested and confirmed again) and @mimmo  was correct that there are more than one field within the self serve account where the new email needs to be updated.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr : There's a backdoor method to change ones login email address. But doing so doesn't change the account email address. As mimmo said, the test is to try the password reset. If it goes to the old email address then the account address didn't change.

One fellow customer claims he was able to change both using the backdoor method. No one else has repeated that.

@Anonymous   I get what you're trying to say but no I didn't try any backdoor method but had a moderator change it and until I tried to test it at mimmo's suggestion, I had been receiving all the emails properly.   However, I should have clarified that the emails going to a different email has been happening long before this particular event.  It's more of minor irritant but will check with a moderator if it happens again.  The only thing I will add is that I wasn't able to login to account using the old email nor get a password reset for that email address.

All correct.

Are you meaning community emails or account emails like the health stuff or other marketing crap? But that password reset should go to the account email address.

@Anonymous   Actually this email change was done maybe a few weeks ago so I haven't really received too much but yeah have got some of those health emails.  Might have to look into it a bit more tomorrow.  I do have a habit of deleting most emails so don't remember all the rubbish I get since there's 3 accounts I manage too and maybe getting some stuff mixed up between them!  😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr : There's a backdoor method to change ones login email address. But doing so doesn't change the account email address. As mimmo said, the test is to try the password reset. If it goes to the old email address then the account address didn't change.

One fellow customer claims he was able to change both using the backdoor method. No one else has repeated that.

@Anonymous   I get what you're trying to say but no I didn't try any backdoor method but had a moderator change it and until I tried to test it at mimmo's suggestion, I had been receiving all the emails properly.   However, I should have clarified that the emails going to a different email has been happening long before this particular event.  It's more of minor irritant but will check with a moderator if it happens again.  The only thing I will add is that I wasn't able to login to account using the old email nor get a password reset for that email address.

All correct.

Are you meaning community emails or account emails like the health stuff or other marketing crap? But that password reset should go to the account email address.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr : Then you need to get them to change it in both places. The fact that you got the email to the old address says that's still the account email address.

As for the security of using old passwords...what 'r' y' gonna do. But remember there was that data breach in Koodo back in Feb that gpixel4 keeps reminding us of. I finally decided to change my password about a week ago.

@Anonymous   I do think the email has been changed at both places, but for some reason a few emails do end up at this old email which isn't used but kept just in case because of these emails ending up there.  That's been happening before I changed the email so I don't think it's anything to do with PM. 

I do remember reading about the data breach with Koodo and yes it's a little concerning because I was with them for a short couple of months before porting to PM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr : Then you need to get them to change it in both places. The fact that you got the email to the old address says that's still the account email address.

As for the security of using old passwords...what 'r' y' gonna do. But remember there was that data breach in Koodo back in Feb that gpixel4 keeps reminding us of. I finally decided to change my password about a week ago.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@dabr  

The mod might have changed both emails the login(username) and system email.

They are two seperate fields however.

One thing to try is the lost password with your username email and the old one see what happens.

I think it's much to do with the knowledge of the mod and how they interpret the questions on what they do.

@mimmo    I'm sure you know more about how PM's system is set up and if there are two separate fields involved, then the moderator I dealt with must have changed the email for both because I just tried to login to my account with the old email and it didn't work.  I then tried the password reset for the old email and received an error after providing the answer to the security question.  Repeated the same process with the current email and promptly received the reset email except that it went to the old email address.  In any event I entered a new password, actually it was the old password which PM's system accepted, and was able to login to the account.  

Now I'm not sure if PM should be accepting old passwords or perhaps PM's security settings software doesn't recognize when an old password is being re-used.  I do know on other sites, i.e. banks, the same password would have been rejected.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr  

The mod might have changed both emails the login(username) and system email.

They are two seperate fields however.

One thing to try is the lost password with your username email and the old one see what happens.

I think it's much to do with the knowledge of the mod and how they interpret the questions on what they do.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@dabr  i think you car mixing up username and the official account email.

The username is used for logging in, while the other is for system emails and for lost password.

One can be changed without affecting the other.  If mods changed username then that affects login, they might have or might not have changed the other one, might depend on which mod helped you.

@mimmo   Hmm...I'll admit I'm a little confused about all this now as I've only ever been able to use the same email registered with the self serve account as my login username too, so to me it's the same information.   I just checked the response from the mod after requesting that the self serve account email be updated to a new one, I also verified with them that I'd now have to login with the new email and the response was yes, here's the response from mod on this request.  Moderator name omitted... 

You're right, since your email address has been updated on your Public Mobile account tat's the one that you will be using in order to access your self-serve account and any other account can be associated with the email address since the email can be attached to one account only. 

If you have any other questions or concerns don't hesitate to reach us back or reach the community:) 

Best regards, 

Public Mobile moderator team. 

mimmo

@dabr  i think you car mixing up username and the official account email.

The username is used for logging in, while the other is for system emails and for lost password.

One can be changed without affecting the other.  If mods changed username then that affects login, they might have or might not have changed the other one, might depend on which mod helped you.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I experienced the same issue as @mimmo. except I let the mods do both processes. first I asked to change my email for self serve and they did. but, the email under "my profile" was still the same. I had to ask mods to change that email address too.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

From my experience the answer is yes.  Once the moderators have changed the email in my self serve account then account login can only be done using the new email.

Right. But it would seem they have to manually go into two fields to change it for you. So when requested, they have to remember to change it in both places.

Yeah it's more than probable that they may have to do that, it's just never been mentioned during the request for an email change.  I just get the mod's response that it's officially changed and I can login using the new email. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

From my experience the answer is yes.  Once the moderators have changed the email in my self serve account then account login can only be done using the new email.

Right. But it would seem they have to manually go into two fields to change it for you. So when requested, they have to remember to change it in both places.

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  yes once the mod understood what email  (account)  needed to be changed they did it.  

that is why whenever this topic comes up i mention to users to specify the account emial address not user name or something similar when contacting mods.  its not something that comes up often thus they might not be familiar, or it might be in a different screen or something that they need to search for.

Got it. And yet we have the one customer here that would still claim that there is just the one email address and that we can change it. 🤔

Edit: @mimmo : sorry to notify you again...it occurs to me to ask...if the mods change that account email address do you know if that automatically also changes the log in one? Or do they need to manually change both places? I don't know if you would know this from your experiences mentioned.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

You use to  be able to get the link for the backdoor from SIMon when you asked to change your username email. You no longer get that.

Now all you get is this:

email.jpg

popping

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

I am really confused now.

I cannot change my usename on my self-serve portal.

My understanding is username and account email address are the same.

If I request to change my account email address, my username will be changed together.  They may be two different fields in the database.  But PM subscriber cannot access these two fields from the self-serve portal.

There's a backdoor method to change the log in email address. This does not change the account email address. One person claims it does. One.

I read about that.  I did not actually check on how to change the login email address until now.  It is not possible to change the login username without the knowledge to access the backdoor. 

Therefore, for the average PM subscribers, the backdoor does not exist.  When we want to change email address, moderator should change the login username as well to ensure login continue to work.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

If I request to change my account email address, my username will be changed together.  They may be two different fields in the database.  But PM subscriber cannot access these two fields from the self-serve portal.

There's a backdoor method to change the log in email address. This does not change the account email address. One person claims it does. One.

popping

mimmo

@Anonymous   no the username email and account email are two separate fields and are independent of each other.  and i have only had mods change the account address, never the username, as i do that one myself

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  yes once the mod understood what email  (account)  needed to be changed they did it.  

that is why whenever this topic comes up i mention to users to specify the account emial address not user name or something similar when contacting mods.  its not something that comes up often thus they might not be familiar, or it might be in a different screen or something that they need to search for.

Got it. And yet we have the one customer here that would still claim that there is just the one email address and that we can change it. 🤔

Edit: @mimmo : sorry to notify you again...it occurs to me to ask...if the mods change that account email address do you know if that automatically also changes the log in one? Or do they need to manually change both places? I don't know if you would know this from your experiences mentioned.

mimmo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : And what came of that? Did they say "oh right I'll change that one for you too"?

mimmo

@Anonymous   I mention it because it happened to me at least two times.  i was told that i could change it myself, and i had to be really clear on which email address i wanted changed. I think it might depend on which mod one gets and how new they might be or if they have been asked to do it before. 

this was one of my conversations:

Moderator_Team wrote:

Hi , 

Thanks for reaching out to us. I hope you're doing well today! 

I'd be more than happy to update the email address in your account 

However, I just did the verification and the email is already xxxxxx@xxx.xxx

Let me know if you want to do any modification! 

my reply was: 

Hi I changed the user name but am unable to change the official email address as per the change user name page  (deleted picture)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : I'm not sure the mods would confuse the log in email address with the account email address. We don't know if they go into two screens to do any of this. I don't recall anybody coming back here saying one or the other was wrong and now things don't work properly.

In my memory (such as it is) we have only one report of someone saying they changed it all themselves. No one else has been able to.

mimmo

@benfatto   I might be misunderstanding your reply.  but I read it as you are suggesting to contact mods to change username, which is incorrect, but it is the correct procedure for the account email which the OP seems to be asking.  

@ntaylor3435 there are  email address with PM:

• the selfserve username can be changed by the user
  • the selfseve account email address needs to be changed by mods.  
  • the community email address can be changed by users and needs to match the account address in order o receive community rewards

also @ntaylor3435  when contacting mods ensure that you are 100% clear on the account email (hidden) email address not username , as they can get mistaken.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ntaylor3435 wrote:

How do you change your email address?

Or the other one...click on your bicycle avatar upper right and click My Settings and you can change your email address for the community.

The email address in the community needs to match the email address in the self-serve to earn any community reward.

Edit: beat to it

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ntaylor3435 

If you want to change email for self service account, you will need to contact moderator as described above.

If you want to change email for community forum account, you can directly change yourself.  Click on your avatar icon in upper right corner and under settings, you can change the email address.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To change your email for your self serve account, you would need to submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.