Did you mean: 

Why do you like Public Mobile?

trgtrg2020
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What makes Public Mobile special?

31 REPLIES 31

SE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The coverage is fantastic. I’m continuously surprised how I’m still able to get a signal while my friends’ phones have been rendered useless when we are in the middle of nowhere land.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@jrlundrigan wrote:

App would be fantastic. Would increase efficiency, and some people work better on apps rather than browser. 

How would an app increase efficiency? What could an app do better or faster than browser?

A few examples or specifics would say a lot more than a sales pitch.

The browser (edit: sorry...the site) could at least be mobile aware though.

@jrlundrigan wrote:

App would be fantastic. Would increase efficiency, and some people work better on apps rather than browser. 

How would an app increase efficiency? What could an app do better or faster than browser?

A few examples or specifics would say a lot more than a sales pitch.

jrlundrigan

The plans are actually something worth referring to my friends, and both of you save. It's a win win.

jrlundrigan

It would be nicer if Public Mobile dared to take the lead again instead of being a follower, lol.

trgtrg2020

@Korth

Have you seen Koodo’s website? They really take the cake. Literally if you checkout the homepage right now LoL!

I would say Koodo gets A+ for being the most attractive website. Would be nice if PM followed suit.

@ToMuchCatnip wrote:

My only pet peeves so far about Public Mobile is the site feels like its straight outta a 2007 website. When I first signed up I actually had to do a double take at the URL. It looked so freakin sketchy! My first thought was "No way in heck am i typing any classified credit card or banking info in here" ... The forums layout feels terrible and the account section is slow and reminds me of a scam site from the MySpace days of interwebs.

I wholeheartedly agree and I've criticized this before. PM's websites do what they're supposed to do (mostly). But their appearance and functionality speaks more about the dial-up era of dark age internet than about the smartphone era of modern internet. The sites don't even work properly on mobile browsers, y'know, the ones people use from their smartphones. And they're plagued by all sorts of little flaws, bugs, and issues which most other forum softwares figured out and fixed years ago.

If I were a (potential) new PM customer then I would find the folksy antiquated website very unimpressive. It's the best a tech-savvy telecommunications business (backed by one of the giants in the industry) can do? It certainly doesn't look as snazzy as the Lucky, Chatr, and Freedom sites.

As an existing PM customer I'm not particularly confident that PM can competently handle things like web security. They rely on outsourced businesses (Lithium/Khoros and Ada) to automate basic problems, they're poorly positioned to respond to (or even understand) advanced problems. They lack physical retail outlets and lean heavily on their internet presence as the primary point-of-contact and point-of-payment interface with their customers, yet the general state of the website suggests it's all a barely working kludge.

I'm surprised that PM's marketing people haven't really addressed this for so many years.

ToMuchCatnip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For me they offer the best plan and have pretty good reception where i live in the country in Quebec. Since the pandemic I rarely use my phone much at all. Money got tight. My old provider was raising prices all the time and i couldn't afford it. As is right now in this strange post apocalyptic "New Norm" world, the 15 dollar plan suits my needs. I keep my minutes for emergencies when I am out. I use my wifi 100% of the time at home and usually just text people. If people need to contact me they can call. It is 1/3 of the price of my old mobile plan  with a different provider and perfect for me. 13 with auto pay. 

*edited my rant about not liking the forum style. Sorry* 

Edited by Moderator to remove content that violates Terms of Service.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@trgtrg2020 wrote:

The cheapest plans in town, overall. (Sales and promos flash across the market endlessly, but PM's system of consistent gradual savings is better given enough time.)

The best network in town, sometimes. (Often advertised as the largest, fastest, and bestest network in Canada. Bellus leapfrogs with Rogers every few years, and is currently one leap behind, but still not a bad choice.)

No clueless counter staff. Indeed, PM customers are often more knowledgeable than wireless retail employees.

No pushy commission sales. So no need to haggle or negotiate or charm in the hopes of getting a better deal (or in the hopes of simply not getting stuck with a ripoff deal).

No lineups. Being queued on email or private messages which you can move forward at your leisure is much better than wasting time being pinned into a crowdy retail outlet.

No shopping malls. And no shopping mall parking.

PM gives the consumer all the information needed to make decisions and DIY. The other operators tend to treat their customers more like mushrooms.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trgtrg2020 

There you go. So another thing you can do is edit one of your previous posts. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the post.

There's a goofy bug in the system that might remove your post if you edit too much too fast. So when you go back to edit, do a copy first, Post, see if it shows, if it doesn't then do it again and paste what you wrote before. Doesn't always happen. And there used to be a fix. But that knowledge disappeared with the departure of one or more mods a while ago.

@trgtrg2020 

My apologies but i was quite sure when i responded there was a different solution chosen? However that does not change the fact that hoping for phone support is well hopeless. As @Jb456 pointed out im an avid pursuer of improvements by public mobile as per my thread or i should say...my cats thread (link) supplied attests.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

trgtrg2020

@darlicious 

This topic is more about what PM could do to improve. Everyone is welcome to bring in new ideas. No company is perfect. That’s why there are discussion about the good and bad about Public Mobile. Everyone including yourself has the right to choose which solution they deem is sufficient. That’s what the community should be all about to make PM better wouldn’t you agree?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trgtrg2020 

It's helpful to either tag a user or quote the post you're replying to to know the context of your replies.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't let regular users see which post you replied to.

You can absolutely start your own thread and say and ask just about whatever you like. It seems to be the current accepted culture. If some regulars give you grief then point them to their own threads and ask how come they could and you can't.

trgtrg2020

I appreciate your insight about Unlimited Data! It’s a great idea. In particular about support, I myself don’t need phone support but the idea of implementing it could attract more business. Thanks for sharing the idea!

trgtrg2020

This topic is more about what PM could do to improve. Everyone is welcome to bring in new ideas. No company is perfect. That’s why there are discussion about the good and bad about Public Mobile. Everyone including yourself has the right to choose which solution they deem is sufficient. That’s what the community should be all about to make PM better wouldn’t you agree?

@trgtrg2020 

(Is this your solution to the wish part of a list?) Pm has vastly improved its customer support in the past year. They've hired more moderators which has cut service times from a few days to a few hours at most, made improvements and fixes to many glitches like the no texting issue after US roaming and rewards not being applied after using lost/stolen. They've even introduced live chat for activations. But there will never be phone support for public mobile if you want to achieve that "improvement" you must choose another mobile provider.

Edit: erred reference comment not valid....apology to OP.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Pricing, potential rewards, free gifts. Why pay a different carrier more.

@Jb456 

I believe my cat @maximum_gato started it during my sabbatical but i have taken over monitoring it as max is too busy hunting and catching rats. He really likes to flip them up in the air in, slap them around and toss the occasional one under a bus. Whaddya gonna do? He's a cat.

shorty1

i can also help people  to create an account if they want to subscribe or if they have any technical problem via phone

shorty1

Unlimited Data and Phone Support because some people are not familiar with chat

shorty1

price and rewards ...you can bring up your account to 0 easily

ilyess

On top of affordable plans, the thing I like the most about Public Mobile is the non-expiring add-ons. Other providers might allow you to roll-over unused data to the next cycle, once maybe twice, which has always seemed like a ripoff to me. With Public Mobile you get to use your data add-ons whenever you feel like it with no time restrictions.

maggamoka

I'm with Public Mobile because it has the best price for my needs : just a few minutes of calls and a few MB of internet. I'm using my phone for emergencies only. With the rewards (autopay and referrals), I pay only $13 per month.

I've noticed that in the last few months Public mobile has made many improvements to the forums as well as the self serve account system. They even fixed things with auto-pay failure. ( I assume they are working on the actual auto-pay system now) you can browse through the "announcement" section to see posts from PM of what they have recently done. Overall they have been doing a great job! ( From my point of view)

Also you can take a look at link below that a member who loves crows 🤣 started @darlicious  with a community wish list. This falls kind of in your post. I am sure PM has been reading it.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

Myself I'd really like a Canada wide unlimited Canada wide calling only plan. Have an extra sim just waiting for it lol

pmw

always have surprise!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@trgtrg2020 wrote:

Price and rewards with the potential to lower your bill to $0!!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The savings and free gifts.

trgtrg2020

Are there any improvements you think Public Mobile could make to improve?

examples:

•Unlimited Data similar to Lucky Mobile & ChatR.

•App similar to Lucky Mobile & ChatR.

Or, any other ideas what they could do?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@trgtrg2020 wrote:

@trgtrg2020 The customer service!

Need Help? Let's chat.