cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is getting spammed via messages?

Oldpete
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So lately I’ve started receiving spam messages via private message on this community board. Don’t thins Public or Telus intended it to be just for spamming. 

What steps are Public and Telus going to do to prevent this and protect our privacy? 

11 REPLIES 11

chuanna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Me as well. Thanks for posting the solution in your message. Saves scrolling.

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nope I have not had any problem with spam yet.

ToMuchCatnip

Same. Report , Ignore and Delete. 

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

me as well

Geofree

I have been getting them.  It looks genuine,  comes up with my password,  and my account,  

Says it is from AlienUnicornl     

Some of the grammar is suspect  

The latest one is for Netflix $3.00 for 1 year

Geoffree

cbthx1138

yes, me too. I've had 3 spam messages the last couple weeks. all from "users" who registered the same day.

report/delete. 

It is annoying though.

Oldpete

Thanks for the reply. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody can create a community account. Some people like to not show that they're logged in, some people don't care. There's an option to not show. The default is to show. Unfortunately, new accounts are shown before someone would opt to not show.

This isn't a privacy issue. No one knows who you are other than maybe your first name is Pete and you might be an older gentleman. You have given those pieces of privacy away yourself. Or not, if it's not real.

I suppose they could flip the default so that people would have to choose to show logged in. I suppose they could also not have those lists on the community page and just show the stats of who all is logged in and "guests". Click on users online and it would only show those users who opted to show themselves.

But then as one participates in the community then their usernames would show.

All this to say...the internet has always had people trying to scrape some money out or to find ways in to your internet device. Don't click on links.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Oldpete 

This is absolutely a problem Public Mobile needs to work harder on.

Are the spammers active Public Mobile customers with active services OR simply just folks who have created Community accounts for the sole purposes of spamming otherwise legitimate members?

If the majority are NOT active Public Mobile customers, then the fix is apparent.   Limit Community membership (and specifically the ability to send and receive private messages) to active members with active services, or recently active services.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Oldpete wrote:

So lately I’ve started receiving spam messages via private message on this community board. Don’t thins Public or Telus intended it to be just for spamming. 

What steps are Public and Telus going to do to prevent this and protect our privacy? 

@Oldpete hi lots of issues with spam lately do not open

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Oldpete 

Yes, it is happening and Public mobile is aware.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/What-to-do-with-spam-in-your-Private-Me...

Just report the message and don't click on any links. PM is working on the issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.