cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Phishing private messages are being sent to members

asousain
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a private message from a 2-hour old account named 'Bears', it claims to click a link to get a chance to win iphone 12.

I copied the link into google virus scan tool ( https://www.virustotal.com/gui/) and the link in the message was showing as phishing. DO NOT click on any link in your private messages unless you check how old is the account and test the URL in the tool above.

74 REPLIES 74

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth  It's not via phone numbers. Someone is creating multiple community forum accounts and sending private messages to members.

AmandaHo

Actually, I think most of the messages sent by the scammers have been through private messages through the community. They're probably just messaging all of the users that they see interacting in different discussions/forums. 

My question is how these spams have acquired the phone numbers of Public Mobile customers.

Did they just farm them online, customers (briefly) posting their numbers on this public forum, customers who use the same usernames at social media sites, etc?

Did they just autodial number blocks which are allocated to Public Mobile? Maybe even compile a list of "available" new numbers from Self-Serve in preparation?

Or did they acquire them from an "inside" source?

I haven't seen people complaining about much recent spam at other forums for other carriers.

alanol
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same, also received one from a user called Cutlasss

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.01.32 PM.png

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Received one also.

Screenshot_20201119_215831.jpg

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for sharing

Click on report message too

Captainfats

Just received this phishing message from AwesomeBlossoms https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/162693

@CS_Agent  @Alice_U @ @Arturo_H @Catherine_T @David_J 

Appears we have some new users sending spam messages to members to win an iphone. 

Can these members be taken care of? There's a few usernames on this thread that have been sending these messages. Thank you!

AmandaHo

Just received one from Blackcherrys! Reported them! message looks like this :

AmandaHo_0-1605835034394.png

dracakarat

Also from Pistachios .

I reported them

gumbyng

I've received similar from CrazyLoves. Delete right away.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@asousain  - thanks for the heads up!

asousain

If a moderator was notified to roll back all messages sent from that account and block that account , it will be great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@asousain 

We've just heard from another customer too.

@Catherine_T , @Alan_K , @Melinda_H , @CS_Agent 

This and username RaspberryQueens

Need Help? Let's chat.