cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of "moderator" in user name

phleva
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi @CS_Agent ,

I notice that there are many users that have created a user name similar to the Moderator Team. Would there be any way to prevent the use of "moderator" as part of the name, or ask the users to modify their profile. The objective being that no sensible information is sent by mistake to a user that is not part of PM team?

I can't seem to find any good reason to choose this as part of a normal user profile name...

Comments?

15 REPLIES 15

@gpixel 

When recieving a generic response from the moderators it has recently been signed off by:

Customer Support Agent

Community members may or may not remember that when they created their community accounts they were required to tick the box that they had read the community terms of service to complete their community profile. ( Which I did and have done so several times since then.)

The community terms of service is the first stickied thread on the landing page. Its the third stickied thread in the community board and has links to it several times in the first two stickied threads that explain the community to members.

I think pm has covered the bases when it comes notifying new members how the community works and what the terms of service are and explaining it in simple easy to understand terms. Some people are too dumb to be smart enough to read the instructions before they use something new.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

scammers always find new and creative ways to try to leech off of others and their earned money. I  cant stand when they call or email, yes its easy to hang up or delete message but it is very annoying. 

@phleva 

A few months back, Public Mobile decided to look at updating the term used to describe the Moderators.

Hopefully soon, they'll formally announce their new titles so it better matches their respective roles.

See this thread for details and discussion on this consideration of a 'pending' title change:

"Moderator" Term Change Survey - Community (publicmobile.ca)

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@phleva  I can think of reaaons to have moderator in the username. The member could be a polical anaylist, court judge, or a dispute mediator.  

Great points, @cavemantoronto .   The fact that the Community's customer service agents, who someone decided should be called "Moderators" (a name that makes no sense since they do not 'moderate' much of anything - that's the Oracles role...) makes zero sense.

Knowing how the community works is up to the individual who decides to use the community.

Anyone who elects to join an online based service should have the common sense to research how it works, and whether it's something which meets their expectations and needs BEFORE they join.

That seems to be the single biggest oversight made by new customers - they just don't do the necessary research to know what they're getting into.   Many go through the whole process of activation without even knowing there's no telephone support.

Fortunately, there's all of us to help guide them along!!!

there was a vote not too long ago about changing the "moderator" name to something else.(customer support, support team, etc.) 

I guess we'll have to wait a year or more before its implementation 😂

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@phleva  I can think of reaaons to have moderator in the username. The member could be a polical anaylist, court judge, or a dispute mediator.  

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I like the ideas from both of you, @dabr and @gpixel... it's always tricky balancing popups (ie. annoyances!) with other things that people just don't read.  How often do we all read the fine print of everything we do/buy/use?  🙂

Incorporating your ideas together, could be a mandatory 3-step "Tour" that highlights a few key features/items, such as Getting Started and Terms & Conditions for example.  Hmm! 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire
Welcome to the Community The place to get help, give help and share ideas

New to the Community? Here’s how to get started

there should be a warning in bold and capital letters

PLEASE READ THE COMMUNITY TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO PROTECT THE IDENTITY OF YOURSELF AND OTHERS.

then change this link:

New to the Community? Here’s how to get started

to

New to the Community? Community Terms and Conditions

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

@phleva You can also reach out directly and suggest this to a Moderator by messaging them here.  If you receive a reply with any added insight, please share it with us in the community!  🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/22...

@dabr We also see many people providing us with account-specific or personal information that they shouldn't in an open forum.  Public Mobile seems to have done a decent job at saying that this is an open Community of users helping users.  Perhaps people either don't care about sharing their personal information or that there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

@BlueB   Strange but I didn't get the notice that I was tagged...but I think PM is partly to blame for the way customers end up posting personal/sensitive info in this forum...I'm not sure it's quite clear that this is an open public forum, at least not for very new customers. 

I also think there should (I don't believe it should be too difficult to implement?) some pop up warnings about not posting personal info when posting in this forum for anyone unaware that this is open to all.

BlueB

@phleva You can also reach out directly and suggest this to a Moderator by messaging them here.  If you receive a reply with any added insight, please share it with us in the community!  🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/22...

@dabr We also see many people providing us with account-specific or personal information that they shouldn't in an open forum.  Public Mobile seems to have done a decent job at saying that this is an open Community of users helping users.  Perhaps people either don't care about sharing their personal information or that there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The selection of community username is quite open and many do choose either intentionally or unintentionally to have a username that is close to moderator team.  It can be a problem to members trying to differentiate those from the real moderator team.  We just have to be very careful.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@phleva wrote:

Thank you @BlueB for your remarks, I do just that (looking for the MOD tag). I just expect PM should do more to secure the communications between employees and clients. Awaiting their position on that matter.

Agreed, this should be more of priority for PM...and it's been suggested a few times before.  Obviously, PM has deemed this to be not as important, alas!

phleva
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you @BlueB for your remarks, I do just that (looking for the MOD tag). I just expect PM should do more to secure the communications between employees and clients. Awaiting their position on that matter.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@phleva 

I have asked this before and the only differentiator is the HALIMACS_1-1620586251560.png indicator which follows the username. 

Also, for further clarity, Public Mobile staff have the following indicator next to their username  HALIMACS_0-1620586505321.png

And to cap things off, the oracles (who are not Public Mobile staff  however deemed the most trustworthy of community users by earned reputations), have the following next to their username HALIMACS_0-1620586624852.png.

No Community users can add the above icons following their usernames, so knowing that would help new community users understand the differences.

BlueB

You make a great observation, @phleva - if you think somebody is intentionally being deceitful/spamming, then you can report this directly to the Moderators by reporting/flagging their message - links in the top-right corner with the 3-dots of the Thread Message, or the "Report" link under their message in the Private Messages area.

Others have made notice of this too... the best thing to do is to look for the "MOD" or "PM" icon next to the user's name to determine if they're real Public Mobile staff!

Need Help? Let's chat.