cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Community's Public Mobile Wishlist

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

We all have our wants and needs that we expect from public mobile and from time to time they make an announcement and ask for our imput. It then gets buried in the announcement board until the next time they make an announcement. Thanks to @gancanny posting his question today i thought that having a running thread of members wishes for their service maybe pm's @Alan_K and @Catherine_T can check in on it every once in awhile and see what wishes are actually feasible and cost effective and implement them. You never know your wish may come true! I know under @Tiana_V  time at public mobile ive had a couple of my wishes come true!

A few suggestions when posting your wish.......

1. Avoid repetitive wishes if its already been posted or elaborate on it. How can it be implemented? Cost savings? Examples of it in other platforms?
  2. Bravo the suggestions you agree with or think are practical or useful for the many.
  3. Keep your wish in the realm of possibilities.....weve all heard those who want unlimited data throttled to 128kbps but that just isnt going to happen here anytime soon......

Go ahead throw your penny in the fountain......and happy wishing! Maybe yours will come true...

129 REPLIES 129

@UFO wrote:

3. Continue with above, it would also be great if the invoice can summarize our total usage in the 30-day period.  Sometimes I want to check if my parents are close to reaching their data limit (or not anywhere close to the limit) in the previous months so I can adjust their plan accordingly, but the only way to do is that is to go to "view usage" and manually add all these usage lines up.  That is so time-consuming.

Yes Please!

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious Awesome !

Well.. Not so awesome for the member.

@BearFBI

A member mentioned it when asking for help to pay for her service after autopay failed. She tried paying thru 611 but couldnt because she couldn't remember her pin#.

BearFBI

@darlicious What ! Thanks for telling me about that. I never knew that they fixed that issue ! 

@Jb456  You and @BearFBI got your wish for the requirement of your pin to use your credit card thru 611. I think that's excellent security feature for public mobile to have added. But @Catherine_T perhaps pm should make an announcement or a text informing customers of this change so they can remind themselves what their pin code is before they actually need to use it.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mm80 Same here I wish Public Mobile had Chatr mobiles plan $45.00 6.5GB plan

@111111 wrote:

Same here that would be amazing 

What would be amazing?  Please quote the person that you're replying to, tag that person, or make mention of what you're referring to.  When you're reply in this way, the website doesn't give any indication (or at least it doesn't to most members) who or what you're replying to.

As for for the $45 plan, I think that it would further complicate the plan offerings when the price differences aren't that great between the $40 and $50 plans. I'm not saying that it would be bad for customers to have the option, only that I'm not sure that a $45 plan is necessary.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Same here that would be amazing 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mm80 wrote:

Public had something like.that Chatr $45 6.5GB plan before but got rid of it.

PM's current plans, with AutoPay enabled, work out to $38 5GB and $48 8.5GB. Even better value at the top end.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gpixel Public had something like.that Chatr $45 6.5GB plan before but got rid of it.

Screenshot_20200907-131334.png

I wonder when this plan will make it over to PM? I like it! let's make it happen for my next renewal date please 👍

@darlicious  and @BearFBI , yes, that discussion was me during that time. Greta memory darlicious! I did end up going the 30-day plan from the 90-day plan. It changed a few things, but with Covid19 and working from home mainly, the speed levels wasn't as much of a difference from what I could tell. Occasionally, when I step out of the home and needed to access my data, to be honest with you, I didn't see a major difference. 

I think it was either @ShawnC13 or @Anonymous or even @Korth who might have or was instrumental showing me the data speeds. I have over 22 pages of posts that I bravoed, but don't know how long I debated in making the switch. I got to page 12, and they all look the same to me. 

@Anonymous 

Hey your free to fall on your sword if you want to.....if its not worth effort to you that's your choice. Everyone values their time differently and only you can decide when its worth your time and effort to do something on your own time or your own dime.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm shaking my head in wonderment at the crossing and conflating of concepts.

I have 2 active $10 accounts. One got the gift. The gift has no "conditions". Sure I feel a little chuffed that others got multiple gifts but am I going to go whining to the company that oh woe is me I didn't get a freebie gift... gimme gimme gimme. No. I'm not 3.

That account has never unsubscribed to anything either. I've never understood the huge imposition the odd text from the company has on one. Oh the trauma. I got a useless text. Ah.

@Anonymous 

Of the 9 accounts I actively manage every single one has gotten one of the two offers. There's only been a handful of customers (including yourself) that haven't gotten the offer as was the case with the targeted $35/3gb in the spring. Those customers that contacted the moderators that met the conditions then received the text offer. But if you only look at your glass half full it will remain that way.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Hmmm....you said in the freebie thread two accounts one got the offer the other didn't. Are they both active? If not did you reactivate one and still didn't get the offer?

Both active the whole time. My third dormant account is coming up on 90 days but I don't really care if it doesn't get it. And the broadcast is probably done now so that ship has probably sailed.

@Anonymous 

Wishing and wanting....oh well what's the worst that can happen? They say no? You never know....

Hmmm....you said in the freebie thread two accounts one got the offer the other didn't. Are they both active? If not did you reactivate one and still didn't get the offer?

Some see the glass half-empty. Some see the glass half-full.

But I'm an engineer. I see the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM and Telus have the technical capacity to fulfill all our "reasonable" wishes. They simply choose not to - and they are still in business while others have failed, their prices are consistently just as low as their third-tier "competitors", so even if we don't agree with all of PM's choices they have arguably still made (mostly) good choices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

I think you're kinda crossing two behaviours.

One is wishing and wanting another entity to do something to your benefit. This is out of your control. They don't call it wishful thinking for nothing.

The other is wishing and wanting that you can attain or get something. Those intangibles are somewhat more in your control. You can direct things in your life that would set you up towards attaining those things. Of course you could catch a bad break. Of course you could catch a break too. Some of it is luck. Right time, right place.

@Anonymous

Stick with the latter.....but ask any Olympic gold medalist, Oscar winner, top charting recording artist, fortune 500 CEO, billionaire, fashionista, social media star they have all visualized themselves being there, if you dont ask for it you won't get it, you have to be in it to win it, if you dont set a goal you will never achieve it. Its the power of positive thinking for others its the power of prayer but it all comes down to if you want something bad enough and you make positive changes to achieve it will often happen. But if you dont mind your glass being half empty then all the power to you....i prefer mine half full!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sbreakin wrote:

Thanks for chance at putting forth ideas/ suggestions.

@sbreakin 

Just so it's understood...this thread is not official.

We have no clue whether the company has noticed this or cares. I think it's purely coincidental when something that had been wished for or suggested comes to fruition.

I liken it to the old radio playlists when they interject someone having suggested a tune. Yeah...as if...they already had it in their playlist. It just makes it _look_ like they're taking suggestions.

But maybe I'm just an old cynic. 🙂

@sbreakin wrote:

Thanks for chance at putting forth ideas/ suggestions.

My suggestion:

A data add-on that adds restricted/ slower data but in greater (or unlimited ) quantity for say $5 or $10.

Reason:

My daughter is on the Talk/ Text $15 plan with bonus 250mb data.

It's great as often she's at home / school and uses wifi & doesn't need data much.

But the 250mb often gets used up in one or two short web uses within day or 2.  I also bought 1Gb as a test & it lasted less than a week.

And to give her credit - she does try to pay attention & use wisely but all it takes is to not have wifi or loose the signal for while & not notice & then the video or Ticktocks use up data so quickly (usually 1 or 2 web sessions).

Sure i could move to a higher plan (like the new $30 - 2G with bonus) but that kind of defeats the purpose of 'helping' to guide her on restraint & quite frankly with 5G coming - one could run through lots of data very quickly especially if haven't set video resolution limits.

@Korthwrote:

They might have value if the user cannot override them. As in, some sort of nanny software which prevents reckless teens from gobbling all the video streams they can. 

If public mobile can't or won't offer "slow" data in any way this type of app ( now I'll have to hunt that thread down )would solve the issue for many parents that are customers of pm that would keep their kids connected without buying higher data plans or add ons. Or if they purchase more it would last longer than a week.

jessofthenorth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would be really interested in seeing an unlimited (throttled) data option. Bell offers an unlimited talk and text plus 20G data option that throttles down when the cap is hit. I love to see some version of that on PM

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

I'm not sure what manually throttling data would accomplish?  Downloading a 20mb file will still use 20 mb, a 3 mb webpage will still use 3 mb data.  It will just load much slower.

I agree, manually imposed bandwidth caps won't accomplish anything except waste your time or some of your data (when you get frustrated of wasting your time and halt partial downloads).

They might have value if the user cannot override them. As in, some sort of nanny software which prevents reckless teens from gobbling all the video streams they can. This is the domain of nanny software features, not user data features (and not user account features).

If you're worried about uncontrolled data leaking out of your account then disable background data functions in your settings, disable background data and updates in your apps, disable cellular data itself whenever you're not actually using it. Use wifi data instead of cellular data (at home, work, and hotspots) whenever you can. Install things like scriptblocker and adblocker apps to prevent webpages from consuming your data (and to prevent them from spewing pollution in your face). Apps which monitor data usage are built into every modern smartphone and you can download more, although their accuracy has been disputed. The only other thing you can do to slow your data consumption is to practice some self-discipline. A data-bottleneck app is a clumsy and ineffective workaround.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm not sure what manually throttling data would accomplish?  Downloading a 20mb file will still use 20 mb, a 3 mb webpage will still use 3 mb data.  It will just load much slower.

Youtube and Netflix video will stream at lowest quality and buffer. So this will use less  data for sure.  

Or did I miss a point?

BearFBI

@darlicious Darn. Hopefully someone remembers. Lol I can't find an app that can do that. Ive been searching all of Google. 

@BearFBI 

That one is escaping me....for a few hours now. It was discussed here at least six months ago during a conversation about the difference between full speed 4G and 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps. It may or may not have included @mpcdesign  when he was deciding whether to change from his 90 day plan or it could have predated that conversation and been with someone else who had just switched and did a data speed test that cost them 400mb because the data speed had not been throttled yet. Which thread that is I cannot remember but maybe that will spark someone else's memory?

BearFBI

@darlicious Hmm an app that can do that will be interesting. I wonder what the app could possibly be called.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210596

@sbreakin 

Your welcome. Here's a link giving you a little more info about enabling data saving options on an iPhone. There are apps available that will slow down the speed of your mobile data ( in effect doing what you've wished for) at a level you choose ie 512/kbps. I don't have any experience in this area but other members might be able to offer some advice on them.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

thanks for the data saving tips.

She has iPhone and I'm a droid (Google) so not entirely familiar with all the data limiting tips. 

We do live in dip geographically so also dip coverage about same distance to 3 cell towers so that may not help as struggles to remain connected 

Need Help? Let's chat.