cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: The Community's Public Mobile Wishlist

thanks for the data saving tips.

She has iPhone and I'm a droid (Google) so not entirely familiar with all the data limiting tips. 

We do live in dip geographically so also dip coverage about same distance to 3 cell towers so that may not help as struggles to remain connected 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210596

@sbreakin 

Your welcome. Here's a link giving you a little more info about enabling data saving options on an iPhone. There are apps available that will slow down the speed of your mobile data ( in effect doing what you've wished for) at a level you choose ie 512/kbps. I don't have any experience in this area but other members might be able to offer some advice on them.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious Hmm an app that can do that will be interesting. I wonder what the app could possibly be called.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

That one is escaping me....for a few hours now. It was discussed here at least six months ago during a conversation about the difference between full speed 4G and 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps. It may or may not have included @mpcdesign  when he was deciding whether to change from his 90 day plan or it could have predated that conversation and been with someone else who had just switched and did a data speed test that cost them 400mb because the data speed had not been throttled yet. Which thread that is I cannot remember but maybe that will spark someone else's memory?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious Darn. Hopefully someone remembers. Lol I can't find an app that can do that. Ive been searching all of Google. 

mimmo
Oracle

I'm not sure what manually throttling data would accomplish?  Downloading a 20mb file will still use 20 mb, a 3 mb webpage will still use 3 mb data.  It will just load much slower.

Youtube and Netflix video will stream at lowest quality and buffer. So this will use less  data for sure.  

Or did I miss a point?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

I'm not sure what manually throttling data would accomplish?  Downloading a 20mb file will still use 20 mb, a 3 mb webpage will still use 3 mb data.  It will just load much slower.

I agree, manually imposed bandwidth caps won't accomplish anything except waste your time or some of your data (when you get frustrated of wasting your time and halt partial downloads).

They might have value if the user cannot override them. As in, some sort of nanny software which prevents reckless teens from gobbling all the video streams they can. This is the domain of nanny software features, not user data features (and not user account features).

If you're worried about uncontrolled data leaking out of your account then disable background data functions in your settings, disable background data and updates in your apps, disable cellular data itself whenever you're not actually using it. Use wifi data instead of cellular data (at home, work, and hotspots) whenever you can. Install things like scriptblocker and adblocker apps to prevent webpages from consuming your data (and to prevent them from spewing pollution in your face). Apps which monitor data usage are built into every modern smartphone and you can download more, although their accuracy has been disputed. The only other thing you can do to slow your data consumption is to practice some self-discipline. A data-bottleneck app is a clumsy and ineffective workaround.

jessofthenorth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would be really interested in seeing an unlimited (throttled) data option. Bell offers an unlimited talk and text plus 20G data option that throttles down when the cap is hit. I love to see some version of that on PM

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sbreakin wrote:

Thanks for chance at putting forth ideas/ suggestions.

My suggestion:

A data add-on that adds restricted/ slower data but in greater (or unlimited ) quantity for say $5 or $10.

Reason:

My daughter is on the Talk/ Text $15 plan with bonus 250mb data.

It's great as often she's at home / school and uses wifi & doesn't need data much.

But the 250mb often gets used up in one or two short web uses within day or 2.  I also bought 1Gb as a test & it lasted less than a week.

And to give her credit - she does try to pay attention & use wisely but all it takes is to not have wifi or loose the signal for while & not notice & then the video or Ticktocks use up data so quickly (usually 1 or 2 web sessions).

Sure i could move to a higher plan (like the new $30 - 2G with bonus) but that kind of defeats the purpose of 'helping' to guide her on restraint & quite frankly with 5G coming - one could run through lots of data very quickly especially if haven't set video resolution limits.

@Korthwrote:

They might have value if the user cannot override them. As in, some sort of nanny software which prevents reckless teens from gobbling all the video streams they can. 

If public mobile can't or won't offer "slow" data in any way this type of app ( now I'll have to hunt that thread down )would solve the issue for many parents that are customers of pm that would keep their kids connected without buying higher data plans or add ons. Or if they purchase more it would last longer than a week.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@sbreakin wrote:

Thanks for chance at putting forth ideas/ suggestions.

@sbreakin 

Just so it's understood...this thread is not official.

We have no clue whether the company has noticed this or cares. I think it's purely coincidental when something that had been wished for or suggested comes to fruition.

I liken it to the old radio playlists when they interject someone having suggested a tune. Yeah...as if...they already had it in their playlist. It just makes it _look_ like they're taking suggestions.

But maybe I'm just an old cynic. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.