cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging other members

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99  I did not want to tag him as I would be just tagging his (potential) number again in my post. If a few days go by and OP gets his username changed (if it is their number which it most likely is) than there won't be any notice to me to edit my post. Which means his number would still be visible for all to see unless an oracle comes by at a later time and edits it out.

Any person that posts on a thread people get a notification. In this case the OP would clearly be looking back at his/her post for replies. So they would still have a notification that someone replied to the topic. The only thing the @ does is a notification that the person was mentioned in the post. 

15 REPLIES 15

Jb456,

Anything is possible at Public Mobile. They just might not have enough technological reasources (computers, servers, etc.) causing delays. The activation website has been criticized in the past as being too slow, and response, the service offerings were streamlined to make the server more responsive, and eventually more equipment was added.

@computergeek541  That's not what I meant. Sorry if I did not explain it right...the forgot password works I've used it in the past.

What I was trying to get across is maybe those that say I never got the forgot password link or say it came in hours later and the link is expired.

Is caused by the PM e.ail system being backlogged from sending out all the emails for community forums continually.

If both are shared.

Does that make more sense what I'm trying to say?

@Jb456 

I do not believe that disabling e-mails from Community would prevent someone from receiving the message about resetting the self serve password, but feel free to give it a try.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541  one more question that just came to mind talking about notifications when I just mentioned to Brett that I have email notifications turned off.

Question is : I wonder if PMs system is set up that all the forum emails that get sent out and the forgot password email are running on same system. Might be a reason why sometimes people don't get the forgot password email or it comes in a few hours later? Since the system is sending tons of emails continually from all the forum's?? As "email notification" is set to default when forum account is created.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99  on phone "find it weird no notifications". I mentioned in one of my previous posts it's easier to get to them via "my subscriptions" and not "my settings". 

You must be/have clicked "badge" then "my settings". By doing it that way on a phone at least (not sure about laptop) you then have to click the 2 down arrows.

Screenshot_20200905_132651.jpg

The other ways is. Click "badge" then "my subscriptions" this way has the drop down

Screenshot_20200905_132740.jpg

 from drop down you click notifications

Screenshot_20200905_132756.jpg

@computergeek541 thank you. I learnt something new about the forums 🙂

@brettster99  that MAY be the reason you are not receiving notifications like I described. That needs to be checked.

Screenshot_20200905_131256.jpg

Then I have email notifications off. Not to get bombarded with emails.

Screenshot_20200905_131350.jpg

@Jb456 wrote:

Guess you didn't get one....

No, I didn't. Tags in the quote area don't send a notifiation. Otherwise, people would get notified repeatedly whenever someone replies. If you look at the message when quoting someone, you will see that the member's name of the person you are quoting has the @ before it. This is the reaosn that all of the name there also gets updated if a member changes the username.

I've placed this disucssion into a new message thread.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jb456 

I just checked to see if I have those settings. I have checked off subscribe to topics I post to checked.

But I have no drop down option for notifications. Which I find very real also being on my phone. So I don’t get what you have. I will check again but that’s most likely why I don’t get the notifications you do because I don’t have even an option for 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Guess you didn't get one....

@computergeek541 wrote:

If the official quote feature is used, the username will get change there too.

@computergeek541  did you get a notification that youre we mentioned?

Just testing. If you got a "mentioned" in this post notification. Had to log into laptop to do the quote LOL...Myself when people do it this way I do not get a mentioned notification.  

If the official quote feature is used, the username will get change there too.

@brettster99  not sure what you mean by " I guess it's fixed now". I've never had an issue with notifications.

Is it possible you may have changed some settings or something in your community account? Maybe take a look at them? You can click your badge then my subscriptions then the drop down bar for notifications. Or Badge then my settings then play through the drop down to find them (sorry I use my phone so if you're on a laptop/pc its likely different maybe no drop down and shows everything I don't know) also fine preferences and have subscribe to topics I post to checked.

For me when someone simply posts on any thread that I posted in. I get notifications that look like this.

Screenshot_20200905_031831.jpg

When I'm tagged like you tagged me it looks like this

Screenshot_20200905_031907.jpg

However as @computergeek541 @ just mentionedwhich I was not aware of is they get edited as well in other people's posts. Thanks computer geek! 

One question for you though @computergeek541 . Does the edit include when a post is "quoted". I ask because if someone tags a person In a quote at least for me I do not get a notification that I have been tagged in a post. I get a notification that someone replied to the thread but no "mentioned you in a comment".  Sometimes people quote something and write their answer in the quote and not underneath the quote which I would get a notification that I was tagged but not if the @ is in the actual quote.

@Jb456 

If a Community member changes a username, any tagging.of that member will automatically change to the new name.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jb456 

Ah. I didn’t know that. When I posted before I didn’t get notifications when someone replied. Only when someone tagged me. So I guess that’s “fixed” now.

good to know thank you

Need Help? Let's chat.