cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS Porting number

t_p
Mayor / Maire

Since coming here, I've often been intrigued by the way some members reply to others who have porting issues by offering to send them "a number to call". It's done , how can I say, in a hush hush manner that makes "Check your inbox" sound like "I'll meet you in the back alley".

That number, TELUS Porting phone number, is common knowledge and easily found on the web.

Then why there seems to be that aura of"secrecy" about divulging it?

Is the practice officially frowned upon? But tacitly allowed?

What 's the official line we should follow?

I 'd really like to hear the Oracles wise words about that little matter.

[Edited for more precision]

10 REPLIES 10

@darlicious 

Wondering what's keeping you...🤔

'I posted that number a lot!'

I've no difficulty believing that! 😋

@t_p 

The other(telus) porting department number was my go to for solving porting issues for users. Pm has done a clean up of deleting posts containing the phone number(s) at least twice. The most recent in February of this year was noticed by @HALIMACS  after seeing a change in personal stats (posts/bravos/solutions).

An oracle pointed out that a clean up had been done by the moderators (CSA's) by deleting posts. That omission also answered a long standing question I had about the mysterious disappearance of about 150 bravos overnight at the end of May 2020 (I posted that number a lot!)

Needless to say although the latest clean up wasn't nearly as costly to my personal stats it did make a dent so I refrain from posting the koodo porting department number and send it by private message with instructions on its use and plea to not post it publicly.

After doing a search the telus # has been posted about 15 times since February and both sweeps missed 3 posts containing it previously.....2 out 3 of them are mine!

@esjliv 

Your search got me curious...lol!😃

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@t_p wrote:

What 's the official guideline we should follow?

@t_p 

We were told to Private Message the Telus Porting Phone number to members who require it, rather than posting it on the public forum.

Not really 'official', but after you have lots of posts removed on ya, it kinda trains you. lol

@t_p 

Public Mobile doesn't want the number posted on the message boards.  Oracles, Customer support agents (then called moderators), and/or other Public Mobile staff were actively removing instances of forum messages that contained these phone numbers.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

A big thanks to @computergeek541  and all Oracles wannabees for your input 🙂

I'll not choose who has the best "solution" since my main issue remains unanswered,which is:

What 's the official guideline we should follow?

Maybe the Oracle Team will get to that one day,if they ever do.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, it was early February that PM start deleting posts with the phone number. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@t_p wrote:

Since coming here, I've often been intrigued by the way some members reply to others who have porting issues by offering to send them "a number to call". It's done , how can I say, in a hush hush manner that makes "Check your inbox" sound like "I'll meet you in the back alley".

That number, TELUS Porting phone number, is common knowledge and easily found on the web.

Is the practice officially frowned upon? But tacitly allowed?

What 's the official line we should follow?

@t_p  -  I am not an Oracle, but I will chime in. 🙂

In 2020, Public mobile had the Telus Porting Phone Number right in their porting section in their Help Articles.

So, of course, members who used this information would share this with others having porting issues.

As already mentioned, I am sure this number was used, too much as well, for issues NOT-relating to porting issues. So this number could have gotten bogged down, I suppose...perhaps even turning into a "Customer Service" phone line (when only they deal with PORTING Issues).

At one point, around Feb. 6th, lots (if not all, at the time) were removed from the Community Forum with this phone number in it.

If you search '7678' in the Community Forum, you will still see posts there. Actually, 101 are showing right now.

I believe this is a MANUAL 'deletion' that needs to be done by PM and/or Oracles. Search-and -delete kind of method. Guess it has not been done to often since Feb. 2021.

Guess, there is no issue with it being in these posts...? 

Yes, Telus Porting Numbers are found online. You will notice different ones out there, that get you to the same general area as well; just to name another, there is one ending in '2273'.

@t_p wrote:

Since coming here, I've often been intrigued by the way some members reply to others who have porting issues by offering to send them "a number to call". It's done , how can I say, in a hush hush way that makes "Check your inbox" sound like "I'll meet you in the back alley".

Is it officially frowned upon? But tacitly allowed?

At one point, Public Mobile considered the number to be an internal company phone number.  After a while,  Public Mobile did start giving out the number in the official help pages, but it has since been removed.  While the number is on the Telus website, Public Mobile is a unique in the way that there is no call centre customer service. Unfortunately, the Telus porting team is not equipped to handle service requests from Public Mobile customers that aren't related to number porting. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

We used to post the number here. 

Around February and March, PM went ahead and delete all those posts with the porting team phone number there.  We were told that they don't like the number to be publicly posted as they worry that people will just call the number with any issues. So, we have to settle this in the "back alley"

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Something happened on the community telling us to stop supplying that number to people. Maybe we were told it was no longer valid for PM but it still usually gets help. I think that people were tending to use it for many support functions unrelated to porting issues. I believe that posts quoting that phone number where being deleted from the community so since then it has not been posted online here.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.