cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam messages?

Sile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is anyone getting spam messages through their Public Mobile account? I've received a number of them over the past three months. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

19 REPLIES 19

I just worry they can get away with the one  post requirement too.. especially if the account wasn't created by robot.   The lounge has couple interesting posts from a newbie last week.. He just posted twice on an interested related post.. ... and never come back..

@softech 

You know a solution to this might be just having the requirement to post once. Then each individual account could be reported from within the community eliciting an almost immediate response from the CSA's. I regularily see 50 new accounts get created just after midnight eastern. But informing the night CSA's rarely gets a reply until morning once it's too late to be proactive on pm's part. It would be easy to state to each new member that in order to use private messaging you must first post in the community.

@J_PM 

Is this possible?

I always wonder how automated the process is for those spammer to spam our community account.  So, it looks like someone actually doing it manually?  um... maybe they might make more $$ spammer Community than us replying in the Community.. LoL

I always wonder if it is possible for PM to have a restriction for new accounts.  Like one private message only daily for the first 30 days (or before they post 10 posts here).. only exception is when they  messaging CS_Agent  or replying messages.. of course, I dunno how much they can customize on Khoros

@ShawnC13 

I rarely get them now....I think the spammers see mayor or Oracle especially and avoid sending spam to those accounts whereas "New in Town" and "Great Neighbour" are ripe for the picking.

@softech wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I wouldn't bother....even with six months of a proactive stance on my part on informing pm the moment the spammers first start making new accounts nothing has changed. I am usually a dog with a bone but even I have decided to bury it and forget it existed.

I thought so too.. I thought I only got around 5 in the past month or so and that's not a lot.. but someone just told me   "That’s 5 too many. "  .. LoL

I can't believe people are getting that many.  I have one maybe 2 in 5 years here

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious wrote:

I wouldn't bother....even with six months of a proactive stance on my part on informing pm the moment the spammers first start making new accounts nothing has changed. I am usually a dog with a bone but even I have decided to bury it and forget it existed.

I thought so too.. I thought I only got around 5 in the past month or so and that's not a lot.. but someone just told me   "That’s 5 too many. "  .. LoL

@Kristowhy 

@Kristowhy wrote:

However, in the 5+ years I have been on the Koodo community (first gen and latest platforms) I have yet to receive a single SPAM.  

that's a good point.. if Koodo can do it.. PM should be able to do it too

Yes, it has been an issues and many people asked.  Personally, I don't get too many and it didn't bother me too much.   

You can try to open a ticket with Pm.  Hopefully, more people complain and we can change things here

To open ticket with PM:

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

@A341 wrote:

It's very frustrating, and unfortunately I'm shutting down my Community account. 

@A341   hope you are still here on the Community.  You might need your Community account to contact PM for your PM service issues

But aren't you just getting these spam from your private inbox?  if so, you can report it or just ignore them.  As you said, it is very easy to spot them from the subject.    

Also, I don't know how many you got.  i got it too.. but just occasionally.  Maybe couple in a month.. I think it is acceptable.  Just like your spam email.  Even Google and Microsoft spam logic cannot block them all and there are always some coming through the gap.  I think the number of spam message I got is acceptable

I realize this thread is a few weeks ago but didn't want to start another...

I too get a handful of these SPAMs per months since I signed up in September and I have been reporting them but it's a useless action given these are just automated bots spamming and moving on.  However, in the 5+ years I have been on the Koodo community (first gen and latest platforms) I have yet to receive a single SPAM.  

I understand @A341 's frustrations given this community platform appears to have mechanisms to handle this but appears to require "investment" by PM.  Probably not something Telus is interested in doing given the segment targeted by the PM brand.

winston11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you keep getting spam messages the best thing to do is report it or block it, got the options in my phone automatically

@A341 wrote:

It's very frustrating, and unfortunately I'm shutting down my Community account. 

@A341   hope you are still here on the Community.  You might need your Community account to contact PM for your PM service issues

But aren't you just getting these spam from your private inbox?  if so, you can report it or just ignore them.  As you said, it is very easy to spot them from the subject.    

Also, I don't know how many you got.  i got it too.. but just occasionally.  Maybe couple in a month.. I think it is acceptable.  Just like your spam email.  Even Google and Microsoft spam logic cannot block them all and there are always some coming through the gap.  I think the number of spam message I got is acceptable

A341
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The Community team seems to be unable to, or unwilling, to manage this.  SPAM in the community can be proactively managed, even on this Khoros platform.  This is especially easy for the common messages "earn money at home" kind of crap.  It is not rocket science.  They keep telling me that the SPAMmers keep changing identities ... well of course they do!  It's very frustrating, and unfortunately I'm shutting down my Community account.  I'm getting SPAM PMs 10:1.  

To the Community moderators: you need to get this under control, or your community will be ruined.

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Communities-Blog/Improved-Spam-Management-in-Community/ba-p/6...

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

actually just got one few days ago in my private messages. nothing more to do than report and delete. 

Sile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Sile wrote:

Is anyone getting spam messages through their Public Mobile account? I've received a number of them over the past three months. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

Please read this article/thread from Public Mobile for details - it also contains lots of useful feedback from users, just like you:

What to do with spam in your Private Message folde... - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The moderators are aware of it.

Hey Community,

We’ve heard that some of you have received spam in your Private Message folder on the Community. The team has put great effort into filtering out spam messages, but in the case you do receive one, here’s what to do:

1. DO NOT click on any links within the message

2. Report the message

Triguy_0-1613682638658.png

3. Delete the message

Note that you do not need to submit a ticket. Our Moderator team will be taking immediate action and banning users sending the spam messages upon reporting.

Your safety and security is top priority for us. We are investigating additional ways to help limit these instances. Please help us by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity on the Community. 

- The Public Mobile Team

@Sile wrote:

Do you mean in your Community inbox?  If so, the only way for you to prevent it is to disable the private messenging feature. However, you'll need to remember to turn it back on before submitting any ticket to customer service.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Sile wrote:

@Sile   If you're asking about spam message in your private message, then yes it's been a problem, on and off, for the last few months.  Just open the message (don't click on any links) and bottom left will be a Report button and click that, then click the Ignore button (top of message I think) then delete message. 

PM is aware of this problem but these scammers keep changing usernames.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Sile wrote:

Open the message up and click on the Report link. Then delete the message. Spam does happen in this community.

Need Help? Let's chat.