cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card not working in New device.

moddermd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased an Unlocked phone.  I inserted the Public Mobile SIM card into the new device, Samsung Galaxy A21. The devices says the SIM card is network locked. I have put my SIM card into several other phones over the years with no issues.  I tried a second SIM card from public mobile and the same thing happened in this A21 device.  The company I purchased the phone from says the phone is unlocked.... Any ideas of how to get the SIM card to work? Do I need a new SIM card? Is it the phone?  

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moddermd : Have a look at devicecheck.ca. Then try Samsung themselves. They can unlock their phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moddermd 

your issue with device not SIM card, you can contact to seller mayber the give a code for unlocked or ask seller to give you a label for return and do exchange device,

and try to do Factory Reset maybe is help,

How to Reset Settings in SAMSUNG Galaxy A21,

How to Factory Reset SAMSUNG Galaxy S21.

@moddermd 

There could be a problem with your firmware on your phone. Read about the fix here....

https://www.tenorshare.com/unlock-android/network-locked-sim-card-inserted.html

Camille16
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This sure looks as if your phone is indeed locked. Try finding someone who is with a different provider, and ask to borrow their SIM card for a few seconds. If with their card you still get the same message you will know that the issue is neither with your card nor with Public Mobile. Good luck dealing with the seller, I hope he is trustworthy. 

moddermd

I have not tried another provider SIM as of yet. Just multiple Public Mobile SIMs. The phone works (with no network connection), but the device appears to be new and unused. When the SIM is inserted, it notices it is inserted, restarts, then after a restart says "the SIM card is network locked"...or something very similar to that wording. 

So it knows there is a SIM card, but it cannot connect to the network.  But that same SIM in another device(s), works OK to switch and then it connects to the network...but they are older devices....

moddermd

I bought it off ebay seller.  I sent a few things to the seller, but ultimately no success so far there. It was sold it as Unlocked...but I am not sure how to determine if the phone IS unlocked or not. 

Camille16
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The A21 being a 2020 model it should normally not be locked.

Did you buy from an individual or from a company? 

Your A21 can be used when no SIM is inserted but with a SIM you can do nothing with it without providing an unlock code?

Do you know with which provider this phone worked before? if so you might call their customer service, giving them your IMEI and asking for an unlock code (if the first one they provide does not work insist to open a ticket so that a higher level might look into the problem)

Have you tried burrowing a SIM card from a friend who is with another provider? if so what happens? 

@moddermd 

If your phone is refurbished then it is possible that the retailer or their supplier missed the step of unlocking the phone before certifying it for resale.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@moddermd   All the PM SIM you tried works on other phones?

if so, it is likely really a network locked/Carrier lock.  Please go back to the retailer and ask for an exchange ( i doubt they can provide you an unlock code)

You can also try reaching out to Samsung but I don't think Samsung will provider unlock code either, they always ask customers to go back to the carrier for an unlock code

Where you bought the phone from?

Need Help? Let's chat.