cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Re: SHAMING NEWBIES IN THE FORUMS

@RosieR 

Yes I need to do that more often. I was quite productive around here getting some cleaning and organizing done in the garage and a woodwork project finished for some cabinets for my daughter.

AE_Collector

RosieR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector nice to hear.  Did your daughter say "thanks dad... but but the cabinets were just fine before!" lol just kidding 🤣

RosieR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my thread and reply.  3

Have a great weekend!  Cheers!

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR wrote:

@AE_Collector nice to hear.  Did your daughter say "thanks dad... but but the cabinets were just fine before!" lol just kidding 🤣

Well, not yet but I have to take these two items to her possibly tomorrow. Just two panels that are 3.75” high to fill an equal size space above two Ikea cabinets so they look like they go right to the ceiling instead of having a dust collecting area on top. We built the cabinets and an entertainment system area between them in Feb & March and then the little filler panels were the last part needed just as Covid arrived in town. So no trips to the lumberyard for the wood but finally picked it up a couple weeks ago.

AE_Collector

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR 

Great thread you've created and well suited for the community forum. You brought up what can be a sensitive topic and opened a discussion about it to bring it out into the open. This will help out many members who may feel they were called out, shamed, corrected or however they feel about constructive criticism.

I like constructive criticism and trust me a year ago I was recieving a lot of it. However.....how I recieved it and interpreted it was dependant on how it was delivered. At times it was public or private or both. Some was by true mentorship with great care by the member and their respectful delivery of it in turn earned them my up most respect for them. But others despite their intent being pure their delivery of the correction overshadowed the actual intent and caused a larger issue of misunderstanding and miscommunication.

Without visual or auditory clues, black and white typeface and page can be easily misconstrued by tone or verbage. Ultimately a member can edit their posts and both minor and major corrections are easily fixed. But sometimes those doing the correcting in their zeal for absolute correctness forget to be mindful of how they say it and allow sarcasm, cynicism or superiority (at least that's how it is recieved) creep into their message changing intent. Others still fully intend to be critical and demeaning with no regard for their fellow member as they only care that their opinion is heard or read. As stated we are all just customers here and not everyone has honed and polished customer service skills and despite their tenure need to learn to correct their behavior vs having offered the correct information. We are all a work in progress.

Saying all this I've been on both ends of the stick and have reacted both positively and negatively. As long as we all strive for both personal and community improvement we all benefit from it. Starting a discussion like this is just one of the ways its achieved. If ever you have an issue with how another member has communicated with you their are always options available to you to resolve the conflict. Use your private messages, reach out to a fellow member you trust, an oracle you admire, Catherine the community liaison, a friend, a moderator or even the big red report button can serve a purpose in settling a "correction".

treefrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RosieR 

I haven't experienced this myself as i find everyone so helpful. But I've certainly read some less than nice posts though that are a little critical of mistakes made by new people to the community.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR 

This was a great thread to get a varied opinion on a subject not always openly discussed. Thank you!

Need Help? Let's chat.