cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracles or Forum Moderators what is needed

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@RosieR, Oracles are considered the moderators of the community.  It is part of the items listed.  It does happen where it may take a while but if tagged I would say that I can get to something within a couple of hours 99% of the time.  Going for Customer service it is up to 72 hours for a response from PM moderators so a couple of hours isn't too bad.

Keep up your great work and I am sure you would meet the qualifications of time in the community and helpfulness for the next intake!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

55 REPLIES 55

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541 so may I ask why it seems that you as a retired Oracle seem to be doing more work on the forum's than some of the current Oracle's? Don't need a response of meetings and stuff but over the other Oracle's that are generally online posting.

Also as a decision to step down from the Oracle position ( and this part is just my thoughts) why be entitled to retain your special privileges? 

You don't have to reply if you don't want to. Just bravo the post to acknowledge you read it. That's fine to.

You may ask, but only Telus management knows the answers. Try connecting with Melinda, or Catherine. They own absolutely everything that is right, and wrong, about PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  I just meant that there should be a Public Mobile presence on the forums more often keeping all of us in check.

Grunts - not getting out of line

Oracle's - doing their tasks (even though apparently they have no task)

Anyone who needs "keeping in check" should just be banned.

@RosieR wrote:

@Jb456 computergeek is the only retired oracle who is using his using his special privileges of really helping in the forums.  The others I hardly see in the forums.

Sorry, confused as to why a retiree's activity level needs comment.

Living-the-Retired-Life.png

@ShawnC13 ok first page for SD08.   2 from beginners guide in last 3 weeks. 1 from community terms of service in Oct. 1 top contributors in Sept. 1 in French forums. Then 1 early Sept on legit member post "need access to my account" Then 2 in August "phone won't work" and top contributors. 

That's first page since August. Oh wait more moves or merges than some current Oracle's and he is hardly on. Lol.

Was just replying to your comment that they still use their privileges. Was saying you should have just left it as srlaw as he is more active. Saying sd08 kind of makes some Oracle's look bad who are active. When since August sd08 done more moves or merges then current members. Looks weird eh? Two retried pcgeek / sd08 (not including srlaw) do more maintenance on the forums than some current members.

@RosieR wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13 probably should have left it to just srlawren who is usually active. SD08 has like 8 posts since October and not really actual post posts more announcements. One thread move in Oct then activity in Sept 2019. It was either that user or stonechucker that collected a free $20 for months not even being online.

Please remember that all three of these members asked to step down. As for stonechucker, he asked Public Mobile to remove the title long before it was done. The delay was on Public Mobile's end.

oh this is something new to me.  If I was asked to step down, why would I stick around.  Forget it!  Now I understand why the other retired oracles are hardly present in the forums.  Sorry for being too hard on you, sirs/madams.  I am new and I just say it the way I see it.  

There weren't asked to step down. They stepped down themselves (srlawren, sd08, and stonechucker made the request to no longer being oracles).

ooops never mind

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13 probably should have left it to just srlawren who is usually active. SD08 has like 8 posts since October and not really actual post posts more announcements. One thread move in Oct then activity in Sept 2019. It was either that user or stonechucker that collected a free $20 for months not even being online.

@Jb456, not sure what profile you are looking at or why it matters but I am seeing SD08 has moved 8 posts just on his first page of the latest activity.  As for posts made that has nothing to do with retired Oracle status

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Jb456 wrote:

Please remember that all three of these members asked to step down. As for stonechucker, he asked Public Mobile to remove the title long before it was done. The delay was on Public Mobile's end.

@ShawnC13 yeah they seem familiar.  thanks 😊

@RosieR wrote:

@Jb456 computergeek is the only retired oracle who is using his using his special privileges of really helping in the forums.  The others I hardly see in the forums.

Actually, srlawren and SD08 use their extra abilities as well when they are around and see something out of place.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  I just meant that there should be a Public Mobile presence on the forums more often keeping all of us in check.

@Jb456 ok now I understand.  thanks  😊

do you want me to keep on singing?........................... no?.................. why not?

@RosieR  yes that is true and I am happy @computergeek541  still has them otherwise these forums would be a mess. 

You're post is spot on 👍

@Jb456 wrote:

Also as a decision to step down from the Oracle position ( and this part is just my thoughts) why be entitled to retain your special privileges? 

This isn't something that I specifically requested. Public Mobile made this offer to me, and that's why I went straight from Oracle to Retired Oracle instead of to Mayor.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  I won't 💯 percent second forum moderators but I will second a forum moderator presence to keep tabs on the bottom of the barrel folks like us as well as the Oracle's. If that makes sense 🤔

@Jb456 sorry I didn't understand what you meant.  But no worries.  I don't understand a lot of things.  But I understand the job of a forum moderator.  ok I will now sing...

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que sera, sera)

by Doris Day

@computergeek541 so may I ask why it seems that you as a retired Oracle seem to be doing more work on the forum's than some of the current Oracle's? Don't need a response of meetings and stuff but over the other Oracle's that are generally online posting.

You don't have to reply if you don't want to. Just bravo the post to acknowledge you read it. That's fine to.

@RosieR  I won't 💯 percent second forum moderators but I will second a forum moderator presence to keep tabs on the bottom of the barrel folks like us as well as the Oracle's. If that makes sense 🤔

@Anonymous wrote:

Then do away with this thing called Oracle and hire 6 or more actual moderators (not these definitionally warped ones here) to cover 24/7 to watch over the forum and remove personal information and move threads to proper categories and slice and dice threads as they see fit.

Or re-direct the so-called moderators efforts into more forum activity. And maybe even while the real moderators are waiting around to pounce on those errors they could be answering questions too. Both of which would render all of us unnecessary.

Oh look...sorry folks but we have to remove rewards and raise rates because our moderators are costing too much.

No thanks

I know that Public Mobile wishes to place the repsonsibility of forum organazation on the incoming new Oracles, based on the information provided in the annoucement. However, that's not the same information that I agreed to when I accepted the position about 2 years ago. I was once told that Public Mobile didn't want new Oracles to be thrown in there without any direction, but that's exactly what happened. I received no advice/guidance from Public Mobile at that time, and had to learn from mistakes, learned experiences,  and by asking the other Oracles. 

As for forum moderation, I do believe that's the responsibility of Public Mobile and the moderators. I've even said that to Public Mobile before, although I do realize that could increase costs if they had to dedicated more resources to it.

At one point, Public Mobile did assign someone to the forum. That person's job was to keep things orgnaized and to remove old threads that Public Mobile deemed relevant. That end up making it so that each category was filled with countless old threads at the top of each category. I'm not talking about 5 or 6 either, but rather hundreds. The end result that some  ending up getting their quetsions not answered because no on saw the new threads. There was also the downside of it negatively impact members' lifetime Community statistics. Eventually, Public Mobile said that they were going to stop that process for the moment, but when it comes to keeping the forum organized and a moderator doing that, this also just quietly stopped.

When it comes to the $20 Community reward, that amount doesn't even begin to cover what Public Mobile expects of the Oracles. Even if an Oracle never posts a single message in the Community for months at a time, that $20 per month doesn't even begin to cover the 2 to 3 hours of focus group sessions/conference calls that Public Mobile expects of Oracles every few months. And no, the Oracles do not get compensated for this, other than the Community reward.

Pubilc Mobile gives things such as account credits or data bonuses to other members for paticipating in simiilar activities to the above.  While Oracles can sometimes participate in the activities that Public Mobile gives out credits or bonuses for and receive them for those activities, they generally receive nothing for the Oracle-specific activities. There have been a few occassions of Public Mobile does send out free clothing with the the company logo on it (swag as mentioned in the Oracle application annoucement).   

Public Mobile is getting a huge bargain from the Oracles at $20 a month.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  I am with you in the part of. I am here to simply help people. I'd be here posting on these forums helping even without a reward (although that's bonus). Used to do it when I was a destination expert on trip advisor didn't get po..op lol. 

People throwing around T/C's I don't see how that is beneficial. You get extra privileges, you're online, use them. Simple as that. Don't leave it for another member. 

@Jb456 i feel the same way.  When I was a forum moderator, there was no monetary reward at all.  We did it because we were happy to do it... ok sometimes it was trying.  Some people in the forums are here for the rewards.  But that is how PM keep their members.  That is a good idea.  But in-house cleaning is necessary before hiring more oracles to do whatever oracles do.  I move for forum moderators.  Any second? LOLz

@RosieR  I am with you in the part of. I am here to simply help people. I'd be here posting on these forums helping even without a reward (although that's bonus). Used to do it when I was a destination expert on trip advisor didn't get po..op lol. 

People throwing around T/C's I don't see how that is beneficial. You get extra privileges, you're online, use them. Simple as that. Don't leave it for another member. 

I see very little need for moderating this forum beyond segregating tech support from everything else. I would not remain even a month here without the focus on tech support. 
Besides, every member can flag any post for improper content for review, and disposition, by PM's moderators/CSRs. 🤓

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then do away with this thing called Oracle and hire 6 or more actual moderators (not these definitionally warped ones here) to cover 24/7 to watch over the forum and remove personal information and move threads to proper categories and slice and dice threads as they see fit.

Or re-direct the so-called moderators efforts into more forum activity. And maybe even while the real moderators are waiting around to pounce on those errors they could be answering questions too. Both of which would render all of us unnecessary.

Oh look...sorry folks but we have to remove rewards and raise rates because our moderators are costing too much.

No thanks

@Anonymous  PM lingo 

Moderators - PM employees.  They are NOT form moderators

Oracles - are supposedly the PM forum moderators as you say?  But the oracles say that it is not their job. lolz

You say getting more oracles may mean that "there might be a better chance to cover those 24 hours."  Well maybe, but the way the oracles are acting now, it is not their job.  So hopefully the new oracles will have more time to do forum moderating... hopefully.

Three months as a member of the PM community, is a pleasure.  I learn technical terms that I would not have learned otherwise.  I am here because I like being part of the community helping other members.  And I worry about other members who are not as internet savvy as others.  I care about them.  I truly want to help them even if I had to research the answer and even after all that work, 10 posts are already ahead of mine.  That is dedication. 

Vote for RosieR for VP!  I promise to work for you!

Old-Woman-Dancing-86116.gif

Here are a few excerpts from the ToS that I think relates to some of the topics being discussed here.

PUBLIC MOBILE reserves the right (but not the obligation) at our sole discretion to refuse or delete any User Content and/or to suspend or terminate your access to the Site without notice upon a violation of attempted violation of these Terms of Service or for any other reason, which may reduce or deny eligibility for Rewards earned from participation in the community.

If you post User Content to any part of the Site, you understand and agree that anyone with access to the Site will be able to access, use and/or disclose any information that you include in any such content (including, without limitation, any personal information such as your name, e-mail address, etc.). If you do not want the public to be able to access your User Content, you should choose not to leave User Content on the Site. You understand and agree that PUBLIC MOBILE shall not be liable for any access to, use of or disclosure of any information you include in any such User Content. 

1. Monitoring.PUBLIC MOBILE is under no obligation to monitor the Site and assumes no responsibility or liability should any content on the Site be modified or altered in any way without PUBLIC MOBILE's consent. However, you agree that PUBLIC MOBILE has the right to, without notice or liability, monitor use of the Site and monitor, review and retain such content, material or information; and/or (ii) disclose to third parties any information or any content, material or information associated with the Site by or about you or your use of the Site if PUBLIC MOBILE believes that such activity is necessary to provide access to the Site, ensure adherence to or enforce these Terms of Service or other PUBLIC MOBILE Terms of Service, policies or guidelines, comply with any laws or regulations, respond to any allegation of illegal or unlawful conduct or omission or claimed violation of third party rights, or protect itself or others. PUBLIC MOBILE reserves the right in its sole discretion to issue any response it considers appropriate if PUBLIC MOBILE becomes aware of any inappropriate use of the Site, including without limitation uses that may constitute an infringement of intellectual property rights.

From reading this it does mention they are not liable for people posting private info and also that they are not required to monitor the forum but can if they so choose.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR : Then I really must be missing what you're saying. Or we're agreeing loudly.

tl;dr - we have moderators.

Oracle = Moderator.

Moderator = Oracle.

This place has warped that by calling CSR's moderators. But we all know what a forum moderator is. Here, it's the Oracles.

Sure, have more. That way there might be a better chance to cover those 24 hours.

I would still say it's on people to jolly well protect their personal information. I would highly recommend the company make that abundantly clear in red blinking bolded large font text proclaiming that whatever they type here is not protected private information. But regulars that have been here a while also know that this company mostly moves at a glacial pace for the seemingly simplest of text edits.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RosieR wrote:

Now Public Mobile is different.  It is not really that busy.  But still could use Forum Moderators, rather than more oracles.

IMHO lol

@RosieR 

I still think you're getting wound up in the semantics. The Oracles ARE the moderators here. Basically being volunteers. A small stipend for their efforts.

And then as ShawnC13 pointed out, the Retired Oracles are another tier where you have one that is wildly more active than any of the others. What we all don't see is what ever all goes on in the background. But the one retiree could arguably be said to be way more visibly active than many of the Oracles. Or he's just here a lot and quick with the refresh button and reply :).

@Anonymous yes yes yes we are all volunteers.  Go get more oracles then and then if they have some free time, they could also see if they could help in the forums.  More oracles mean just more oracles doing whatever the current oracles are doing now.  

whereas, forum moderators should always be present even if not 24/7, reachable when there is an emergency such as, a member looking for help unknowingly put all the personal information for the scammers to grab.   I know you and others say well that's there problem.  that is your opinion.  and that's why forum moderators are needed in this forum, so the others who have more important things to do, are free to do whatever they do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR wrote:

Now Public Mobile is different.  It is not really that busy.  But still could use Forum Moderators, rather than more oracles.

IMHO lol

@RosieR 

I still think you're getting wound up in the semantics. The Oracles ARE the moderators here. Basically being volunteers. A small stipend for their efforts.

And then as ShawnC13 pointed out, the Retired Oracles are another tier where you have one that is wildly more active than any of the others. What we all don't see is what ever all goes on in the background. But the one retiree could arguably be said to be way more visibly active than many of the Oracles. Or he's just here a lot and quick with the refresh button and reply :).

tiana_v still hasn't provided me with my oracle badge since May...

Need Help? Let's chat.