cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Inbox/Envelope in Community account

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

No Inbox? Envelope near my avatar for receiving or sending messages.

Anyone seen this before?

esjliv_0-1620527216726.png

EDIT:

Cannot submit ticket through Private Message, but was able to through SIMbot.

EDIT: solution is correct, except for the Box should be CHECKED, not Unchecked. 🙂

33 REPLIES 33

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm so glad you got it working again, @esjliv

These things can sometimes seem like a small thing relative to everything else going on, but in reality it's still a bit thorn in our side.

Welcome back to messaging-land... the world must be at peace now.  🙂

Thing is, I don't think @esjliv ever did figure out what caused the 'glitch'.   Agree it is quite odd that it seemingly ONLY affected their account.   

I wonder if they had recently tried to send a private message around the time that had triggered some strange spam filter (or other weird filter) that caused the private message function to temporarily become disabled?    Kinda like how sometimes things on self-serve take 1-hour time-outs in a locked phase around here...   who knows???

Next time (if there is a next time), I'm sure they'll know where to check under settings/preferences to see if the box is checked.

..just hope this issue won't start spread out like virus..😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esjliv : There was a system wide thing that was changed a year or so ago where the sort order of posts went whacky. We could go in to those settings and change it back. Then David_J returned it back to how it was. But in this case, it wasn't system wide. So it's a bit of a puzzler as to how only yours was affected. Glad you got it figured out.

@David_J 

Thank you for your speedy work! It is most appreciated!

@darlicious - exactly. Apologies for the inconvenience that it caused. Prior to Wednesday you were able to send www (and I have now deleted from the filter).

David_J

@David_J 

Good change. I have been wondering why the www would prevent a message from being posted. 

When referencing many of the public mobile get help articles, it is impossible to do so within a thread without that capability, other than copying and pasting the whole help article.

I gather that temporary filter was added for unintended spam and/or advertising content?

OK - our bad. It was a tendency for the SPAM to use that but I can see how it causes an issue. I have removed the term and it should no longer get caught in the filter. Thanks for bringing to my attention.

David_J

@David_J 

Here are the posts/messages that triggered the spam filter.

Screenshot_20210506-141857.pngScreenshot_20210506-141917.pngScreenshot_20210507-231903.png

@David_J 

Would those changes to the spam filter be the reason for not being able to post w w w in its traditional form and in links? As well as not being able to respond to Andu_S in private messages without erasing the spam filter subject line with those 3 letters?

@darlicious @esjliv  -- Hello, took a quick look at the thread and looks like the issue was resolved which is good. I am thinking because this was a one-off issue it was particular to the account rather than a Khoros issue. It is possible that your account settings were edited - but I doubt the moderators would do such a thing if there was not a reason. 

One more thing I will say is we did add some terms to the SPAM filters last week, but the only action that happens there is the post or private message will be stopped from showing, not a disabling of a functionality.

I am hoping this doesn't reoccur, but if it does, please tag me again and we can do a deeper dive into potential causes.

David_J

@esjliv @HALIMACS 

There were changes supposed to come to community that Catherine alluded to when she moved on to bigger and telusy things....

There is also the spam filter not allowing that "bad word" with three letters to be posted so some weird stuff going on....

@esjliv 

I couldn't send it thus I can't save it either.

That message is usually seen when its an archived post that only oracles or pm employees have access to....

@esjliv 

While it may be a good exercise to pursue this curiosity, I highly doubt PM moderators would know how such a selection could have been disabled without you having manually done it. 

That would likely take a technological person to check the log files of your community account.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that Public Mobile seems to do a lot of its back-end work on weekends, and this may not be limited to self serve and may affect community pages too... 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@userbusanzeu , @computergeek541@BlueB , @HALIMACS 

The message I was receiving last night indeed appears when I uncheck that setting in my Community Settings and try to access my Inbox this morning. 

So access was disabled...but by whom?

I will reiterate, I never used (or heard of) that setting before.

It definitely seemed like a system/Public Mobile enforced change...wish I would have tried this fix last night to see if it would have allowed me to check it.

I have asked the Moderator how it could have changed 'on its own'.

esjliv_1-1620559407701.png

@darlicious wrote:

@esjliv 

Check your settings. You private message link is missing from your account. When I try to send you a message thru your "stats" link this is the message I get.

Screenshot_20210508-202125.png

HI@darlicious - no I did not get this message.

I would probably get it now though if you sent it.

It is back to normal when I check this morning.

🙂

@gpixel wrote:

@esjliv 

that's a little odd... maybe you're getting hacked

@gpixel crossed my mind something fishy was going on.

I did report an OP's post that have soooo much personal info yesterday; not something I usually do. I usually only use that Report button when Spam Messages come into the Inbox.

I later received a message TWO messages from 2 different Moderators:

1-looked normal after reporting something.

2-the other one, was odd, asking me to verify my account...which I did not and ignored.

Maybe that had something to do with it?

@darlicious I tried to get to my Inbox in various ways, was getting hit with this message:

esjliv_0-1620557577916.png

@HALIMACS Yes, I did a full log out (2 different devices); then logged back in.

@softech I didn't try the link you sent as I didn't see your post until this morning. But I did have emails that should have linked to my Inbox which I tried and still got above errors.

Thanks for others suggesting to check the settings...no, I did not check those last night. If it happens again though, I will.

FYI THOUGH - I have not been in my Community Settings recently. So if this setting was changed yesterday; it was not by me. 😐

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

For anyone wondering about this, if you go under your avatar and under "preferences" and select "private messenger", there is a click box to enable or disable private messaging

If that box is not checked, you will not have an envelope icon on your community homepage. 

Try it -  you'll notice the envelope icon disappears. Just check it again for it to reappear.  😁

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

Did you try logging out of your community account and then logging back in?

@esjliv 

Seeing as this is a weekend the attention this needs is unlikely to happen since this might be something @David_J should look into and maybe @NDesai can raise the issue with him.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esjliv 

Wow, what a strange problem!

Try to disable/enable - disable - re-enable Private Messages and saving between each change here (and Bonus, logout, clear cache, login between each step- although less likely to be necessary?):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences:private-messe...

See if that resets your private messaging mailbox.  I'm not sure if a Moderator has already seen this, but will try and flag this for them for you too!  🙂

@esjliv wrote:

No Inbox? Envelope near my avatar for receiving or sending messages.

Anyone seen this before?

esjliv_0-1620527216726.png

EDIT:

Cannot submit ticket through Private Message, but was able to through SIMbot.

This usually means that private messaging is disabled.  Go into My Settings, Preferences, and Private Messenger.  Make sure that the box that disables the feature is unchecked.  

As for your ticket, the moderators will not be able to contact you unless you first enable private messaging or unless the moderators override the setting and enable it for you (yes, they can do this).

@esjliv  me too.. can't find you when I try to PM you

softech_0-1620531880548.png

userbusanzeu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey!

Perhaps go through your settings and try different options, (e.g. general-personal message), looks like there are many changes you can make in the settings.

@esjliv 

Check your settings. You private message link is missing from your account. When I try to send you a message thru your "stats" link this is the message I get.

Screenshot_20210508-202125.png

@esjliv 

that's a little odd... maybe you're getting hacked

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Envelope is available for me and working.  I have never heard of this issue before.  But then the strangest thing can happen.

Can you try a different device?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Clear your cookies and history and as suggested try a different browser and even reboot. 

@LurganIeUk 

Yup, tried both. Still same.

Chrome, incognito mode tab, safari, mobile....all same.

🤔

Need Help? Let's chat.