BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

17 REPLIES 17

@Nezgar wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

@Nezgar it was the self serve site that had the certificate error 😯

OK let's try that one then!

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=selfserve.publicmobile.ca

All checks out... except I notice that the current certificate expires Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:00:00 UTC (expires in 1 month and 27 days)

Which browser reports the error? This could be something like a browser like Chrome might start flagging a site if the expiry date is "near".

.. and the community certificate: 

softech_live_0-1613523211137.png

kingofqueens
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@BEER  Thanks for the heads up. You just never know.

@gpixel wrote:

OK let's try that one then!

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=selfserve.publicmobile.ca

All checks out... except I notice that the current certificate expires Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:00:00 UTC (expires in 1 month and 27 days)

Which browser reports the error? This could be something like a browser like Chrome might start flagging a site if the expiry date is "near".

*it happened last year a couple times when they were getting hacked 🤭

Everything seems fine... A scan just now shows a "B" rating

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca

And the certification path is all good...

pm-qualys.PNG

Also gets a "B" rating with GTmetrix: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/U8qBNraN/

Only a couple resources are loaded from "off-site" sites: js-agent.newrelic.com, images.ctfassets.net, bam-cell.nr-data.net, widget.telus.tiia.ai

Anyone getting a certificate error, it would be interesting to see WHICH server name is supposedly a concern. If it's the main site cert for "productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca" or something like one of those previously identified.

this happens when the hackers compromise the certificate. there was one in may and people were hacked... 😉

@will13am wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@will13am  wrote,  "Have you ever received SSL error notifications for this site?"

Nope... have others, I wonder?  What type of SSL error?

That when the browser stops the webpage from loading because the certificate is doubtful (can’t verify the SSL certificate installed on the site).  Happens to me a lot on this site.  I have mentioned this before.

Almost never get it - and I've never gotten it on PM sites.

Maybe @Nezgar can weigh in on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto. The current security certificate expires Mar 10. I've seen the message too in the past. I can only assume that the company accidentally lets it lapse for a short period of time.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@will13am  wrote,  "Have you ever received SSL error notifications for this site?"

That when the browser stops the webpage from loading because the certificate is doubtful (can’t verify the SSL certificate installed on the site).  Happens to me a lot on this site.  I have mentioned this before.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@BEER 

I'm guessing the forum is safe.  See site certification which should show locked padlock in URL.

What makes it UNSAFE is users who unknowingly share too much personal information in posts or directly in their username.

Have you ever received SSL error notifications for this site?  Not saying they are real but they do happen.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER , if you are concerned about this site being doubtful or tracking all your activities, run a script blocker add-on and only enable scripts originating from the parent website.  I do that with sites that I visit for the very first time.  Even for often visited sites, I don't enable all scripts as I do not believe they are needed.  

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BEER :Try using mobile browser like Duck Duck Go they block trackers etc and use free VPN like ProtonVPN and desktop browsers like Firefox that have privacy settings that block those things.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

According to my browser (Apple Safari) -- this forum website has many trackers - just a few seconds ago I got a pop-up warning that 26 trackers have been blocked by my security settings. Wonder how many are not blocked and why so many trackers. According to my Safari browser security reports KIJIJI is even worse followed by ALI Express.

@BEER I use Brave browser and it is showing only one tracker on the Community landing page (js-agent.newrelic.com/nr-1198.min.js). When I launch Safari I am only seeing the same one there. Back to Brave and on Kijiji I see 22 cross site trackers and 17 on AliExpress.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BEER ,

I would guess it is as safe as most places where you enter your email online.

See Privacy info. here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/privacy-legal 

but this could be mainly for activating with Public Mobile.

See this portion of it:

Website Terms

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

I'm guessing the forum is safe.  See site certification which should show locked padlock in URL.

What makes it UNSAFE is users who unknowingly share too much personal information in posts or directly in their username.

@BEER wrote:

According to my browser (Apple Safari) -- this forum website has many trackers - just a few seconds ago I got a pop-up warning that 26 trackers have been blocked by my security settings. Wonder how many are not blocked and why so many trackers. According to my Safari browser security reports KIJIJI is even worse followed by ALI Express.

Such warning don't tell you the source of such activity.  I would running some Malwarebytes software to scan your computer. Much of the time, a lot of this activity isn't related to the site that you're visiting.

Need Help? Let's chat.