cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Stop / Report SPAM in the Community Inbox

kmonmoy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently I am receiving a lot of SPAM in my PM community inbox. They are all same. "Make Money Online", "Work from Home" and contains a link to apply. The links are fake, I tried one using an incognito browser and it takes to a BTC site. 

I am getting tired of these emails and want to know how to stop them or at least report them so that the PM can handle the issue. So far I see no such option. Does anyone know what to do with them?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

@DavidO wrote:

After reporting many such spam messages and getting the same canned reply every time, I decided to get proactive.

Anybody and your cat can open an account in this forum. Unfortunately spammers are either very persistent or they use some kind of bot to create new accounts. Spam accounts can be recognized as (fake) firstname_lastname (usually).

Only advise is to delete. You can report it but most likely somebody else already reported it.

@DavidO wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kmonmoy : Not much you can do to stop it. Click on the envelope icon and click on the subject line of the offending message and then click Report to the lower left then Ignore to the upper right then Delete to the lower right.

My latest reporting contained suggestions for simple measures that have been implemented by other forums and found quite effective in combating message spam.  I also specifically asked *not* to be sent a canned response, as it would indicate that my message was not read by a human.

Guess what, got the same canned response as usual.

I will not be reporting any more spam messages because PM obviously cannot be bothered to implement a solution, or even to read suggestions.

@DavidO   It does take time for any big business to implement any changes even if your suggestion got accepted

PM does act by banning those purely spammer accounts.  Just that this is an open forum and PM cannot have too much restrictions in terms of new account creation on the Community (note this community is open for PM customers as well as POTENTIAL customers. There are people who want to activate but need to ask questions first)

I did suggest there are still ways to restrict new accounts from private messaging, but oh well, either my suggestions not good enough or it just take long to get things going here

But again, I don't find those spammer message trouble enough for me, at least for me, only couple once in a while .. hit delete and they are gone   🙂

canned response?  haha. hard to avoid, too.. we got lots of canned response in the Community too  🙂

Camille16
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@DavidO 

Reporting will not prevent you from getting spams because spammers use different (usually new) accounts, but might allow PublicMobile to block the spammers reported. 

Yes, we always get the same "canned" response that shows our message has been received. However I know the messages are being read by the abuse dept. because I sometimes received a personal answer as well. 

DavidO
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

@kmonmoy : Not much you can do to stop it. Click on the envelope icon and click on the subject line of the offending message and then click Report to the lower left then Ignore to the upper right then Delete to the lower right.

After reporting many such spam messages and getting the same canned reply every time, I decided to get proactive.

My latest reporting contained suggestions for simple measures that have been implemented by other forums and found quite effective in combating message spam.  I also specifically asked *not* to be sent a canned response, as it would indicate that my message was not read by a human.

Guess what, got the same canned response as usual.

I will not be reporting any more spam messages because PM obviously cannot be bothered to implement a solution, or even to read suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guspublic1 : I have it set to email for private messages and nothing else. You could also turn off auto-subscribing. You could turn off emails from subscribed threads too.

Edit: It's not really spam though as it's settings in the system. I know you found this thread but you're asking about the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guspublic1 

the lower left press Report to send to Customer Support Agent,
then someone from CSA, will contact you by private message,

or you can ignore and Delete.

@Guspublic1   you should be good then, this will mute all the email notification.

Guspublic1

Yes i know, that's what i had to do. Turn off email notifications. 

@Guspublic1   you can disable your Community notification

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notificatio...

there is a setting about "Turn off all email notifications"  Check/Enable that

Guspublic1

I tried to be helpful and joined Community, but got bombarded with dozens of emails. This will eat up the wifi package i have purchased, so defeats the case to earn more points, only to be paying for lots of Community emails. The replies should not come to email but stay inside the Community chat, so anyone can reply if required. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kmonmoy 

There's perhaps a better option than what I suggested earlier - turn off Private Messages altogether.   

Under your "My Settings", go under "Preferences", then under "Private Messenger".    Make sure there is nothing checked beside the field "Turn on private messages"

The only time you really need to turn it on is if you need to hear from Public Mobile after contacting the Customer Support Agents.

HALIMACS_0-1637702659082.png

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kmonmoy   PM Community is an open forum.  Anyone can create account here to start asking questions and support.  Unfortunately, spammers and scammers  can do the same.  Usually PM will block them quickly but that still can't stop them from creating new accounts and repeat the whole thing again  😞

If you are tired of it, just ignore the message.  You really dont need to do anything.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Nothing you can do 😞

Report, delete. Spammers will continue sending messages for quick money, crypro, etc. as forum membership is open to Everybody not only to PM clients so they can create new accounts daily...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kmonmoy 

the lower left press Report to send to Customer Support Agent,
then someone from CSA, will contact you by private message,

or you can ignore and Delete..

The process is simple. Leave settings as is. 

Follow what @Anonymous says. 

I would be just a tad more concerned about receiving 2 calls from CBSA within 5 minutes. 

I have been threatened with being arrested and have been hiding in my lingerie closet for 2 days now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : I would make a slight alteration to that. Under Preferences/Private Messages there's a checkbox - Receive email notifications for new private messages. I would uncheck that for this idea. The one you suggested is ALL notifications. But maybe that would work for the OP as well.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kmonmoy 

I might recommend clicking your avatar,  click "my settings", then select personal options.

Place a checkmark beside "Don't send me any Community emails."

At least this will cease your email account from being bombarded with notifications -  they may still end up in your private messaging box on the community account -  just ignore and delete them.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@kmonmoy 

You can report it as instructed above but can't stop the spammers from coming back under a new name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't click on the links! On any of these kinds of messages in any place. If you got an email notification then it's harmless. Opening the message in the private messaging system is harmless. Just don't click the links once open.

Need Help? Let's chat.