Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geek

Kered13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Funny, I've been geeked - ?

Hoping a good thing.

Also these bravos, what do they mean and  these badges earned.

At a loss - where do I go to find out?

These wonderful mentions are much appreciated.

Great patient and understanding users.

Cheers

33 REPLIES 33

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well this was a certainly a wild and crazy ride of a thread. Definitely entertaining!

Late to the party, but just chiming in ... I don't mind being called a nerd or a geek. Alpha Geek. Lord Nerdus. Whatever. It's a badge, I wear it proudly, I own it. (And I've been called a lot worse things anyways, lol.)

Plus this nerd makes a lot of money taking care of nerdy tech math code sorts of things which non-nerds find incomprehensible. Lifetime addictions to things like Monty Python, D&D, Weird Al are just bonuses.

All that being said ... I tend to be conscious of other people finding these terms insulting or offensive. They're always context-sensitive, and contexts are too often misunderstood through online forums. So I won't call anyone here a geek.

Except @computergeek541 (because c'mon just lookit that name, he's beggin' for it!)

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Let me fix that for you......

HEY, THAT AIN'T RIGHT!!! 😠😜  Just cuz several of us HAVE  ALMOST been CannonFoddered around here, you got no right to go around makin' a negative verb out of poor ol' CannonFodder!!! 🤣🤣

I do believe in recent history  that only  @CannonFodder has actually been Cannonfoddered and the rest of saved our toucans at the last minute by various means.....unless he has officially been reinstated?

Weeeeell, I suppose that all depends on your definition of "CannonFoddered"..... I think of it as screwed over by weasel(s), but clearly your definition is slightly different.

That, and you seem to have a strange obsession with smoothing things over with pie! 😉 One hint, though - if you're gonna do the pie thing, don't overbake the meringue, cuz some folks might be offended by that kind of offering.  Having said that, I'd still chow it down! 😁 🤣

@CFPartDeux 

You must feel burned....by something other than my meringue to turn my sweet pie sour! Lol!

@CFPartDeux 

Yes I do believe we were looking at it slightly differently but now that ive read the definition :

cannon fodder

noun
/ˈkænən fɒdə(r)/
/ˈkænən fɑːdər/
[uncountable]
  1. soldiers who are thought of not as people whose lives are important, but as material to be used up in war
    • The soldiers were little more than cannon fodder.

Knowing the history that turned you into actual cannonfodder your thinking on the definition is more accurate. I was looking at it as the worst case scenario cannonfodder.....youre done in, finished, no more....toast. No longer exist. Where as you were looking at the whole picture wounded, maimed or otherwise. But in the sense of the thread would you not mean you were weaseled  or I should say we were weaseled without realizing it until it was too late for some and when it came to @CannonFodder he ended up being truly cannonfoddered?

I hate to say this so I'll leave it blank but between my pie pic and all this talk I think were about to get "         ed". All we need is a war era telephone pic from @AE_Collector to seal the deal.

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

HEY, THAT AIN'T RIGHT!!! 😠😜  Just cuz several of us HAVE  ALMOST been CannonFoddered around here, you got no right to go around makin' a negative verb out of poor ol' CannonFodder!!! 🤣🤣

I do believe in recent history  that only  @CannonFodder has actually been Cannonfoddered and the rest of saved our toucans at the last minute by various means.....unless he has officially been reinstated?

Weeeeell, I suppose that all depends on your definition of "CannonFoddered"..... I think of it as ****** over by *******, but clearly your definition is slightly different.

That, and you seem to have a strange obsession with smoothing things over with pie! 😉 One hint, though - if you're gonna do the pie thing, don't overbake the meringue, cuz some folks might be offended by that kind of offering.  Having said that, I'd still chow it down! 😁 🤣

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Edit: I do want to point out I did not call anyone a geek i took a portion of a members username and turned it into a verb like I've been Cannonfoddered or something......

darlicious®

First off we need to remember that when we joined here we agreed that anything used here Telus has the rights to so not sure you can Trademark your name here lol.  

Now the reason for this post and a quoted portion of your above post is exactly why I made my initial comments as to why I didn't think it was a good term to use.  Your anger and frustration that is shown when a post is merged or moved and you get that error message, and by using a portion of a members username that spends a lot of time keeping order in here to me I linked the anger and name and interpreted it as not a light "ribbing" as was mentioned

@ShawnC13 

Ummmm....but I wasn't the one that "registered" it. That was some other sneaky trademarker secretly copywriting away our usernames.......

I dont think I was expressing anger....frustration maybe.  But I decided to turn that frown upside down and make lemonade out of lemons....or at least I thought so but maybe there just isn't enough sugar to prevent some people from puckering up ....it just leaves a sour taste. I have to accept that. But is the community willing to do their share....a peace of lemon meringue pie? It's full of sweetness that I promise! DSCF4860.JPG

@Kered13 

Oh boy you must be wondering....what did I do? With this lively discussion......it can happen around here that the most innocent of comments opens up a hotly debated subject but we are all passionate here and it shows how much we care about the community and it's members.

Here's a recent thread on badges....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Ranking/m-p/609400#M3057

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Kered13 In addition to @Triguy 's suggestion: wrt to Badges see this post for some analysis:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/My-ranking-went-up/td-p/141769/page/3

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@kb_mv wrote:

@darlicious  Here you go, feel free to copy and paste to your hearts content:

darlicious©

darlicious™

darlicious®

FYI on a Mac, copyright is press option and g together, trademark is press option and 2 together and registered trade mark is option and r together.

For windows users, there are alt codes for that.  

Alt+0153 = trademark

Alt+0169 = copyright

Alt+0174 = registered

@CFPartDeux 

HEY, THAT AIN'T RIGHT!!! 😠 😜  Just cuz several of us HAVE  ALMOST been CannonFoddered around here, you got no right to go around makin' a negative verb out of poor ol' CannonFodder!!! 🤣🤣

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

Edit: I do want to point out I did not call anyone a geek i took a portion of a members username and turned it into a verb like I've been Cannonfoddered or something......

HEY, THAT AIN'T RIGHT!!! 😠 😜  Just cuz several of us HAVE been CannonFoddered around here, you got no right to go around makin' a negative verb out of poor ol' CannonFodder!!! 🤣🤣🤣

@darlicious wrote:

darlicious®

First off we need to remember that when we joined here we agreed that anything used here Telus has the rights to so not sure you can Trademark your name here lol.  

Now the reason for this post and a quoted portion of your above post is exactly why I made my initial comments as to why I didn't think it was a good term to use.  Your anger and frustration that is shown when a post is merged or moved and you get that error message, and by using a portion of a members username that spends a lot of time keeping order in here to me I linked the anger and name and interpreted it as not a light "ribbing" as was mentioned

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@kb_mv wrote:

darlicious©

darlicious™

darlicious®

FYI on a Mac, copyright is press option and g together, trademark is press option and 2 together and registered trade mark is option and r together.

@kb_mv 

Thank You! I am most appreciative.....and I will know how to do this on a Mac if I'm ever on one.....they will be utilized......

@Anonymous wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

I don't. Never have. Computer guy, computer tech, tech guy, IT guy etc.

Duckduckgo - define geek - comes up first with a definition box

• A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
  • A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

Those feel derogatory to me.

The same with nerd adds:

A person who is intellectual but generally introverted

I can't know if I'm intellectual but I have an introverted tendency so not too far from me but the definition also had the two above.

So no never have referred to myself using these terms and for those reasons.

@Anonymous 

I turned the tablet sideways for this.....admittedly I have never looked up the definition of geek or nerd in the dictionary. Given those definitions I can clearly see everyone's point on the term being insulting. That was never my intention and as @Tiana_V would say I will be more mindful of my use of the English vocabulary especially when injecting my brand of humour in the forums. Along with the definition in a traditional dictionary here are the more cultural definitions referred to by @CFPartDeux ....

From wikipedia:

The word geek is a slang term originally used to describe eccentric or non-mainstream people; in current use, the word typically connotes an expert or enthusiast obsessed with a hobby or intellectual pursuit, with a general pejorative meaning of a "peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, boring, or socially awkward".[1]

Some use the term self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride,[2] often referring simply to "someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake". Nonetheless, it remains a pejorative, widely used in an abusive manner especially against children and teens who may be more focused on studies, while less popular, fashionable, or socially inclined.[3]

The term geek is often used interchangeably with the term nerd, but geek has always had more negative connotations, perhaps due to its earlier association with carnival performers.[4]

From the urban dictionary:

One who passionately engages in one or more things to extreme levels. A commonly ascribed term to people in the field of computer programming, but one does not have to be in a technical field to be a geek. The only criteria is an intense level of interest in something, often to a highly specialized degree.

The term currently seems to be most used when referring to various fandoms. Whatever you do, never mention the Endor Holocaust to a group of Star Wars geeks. It will become amazingly convoluted.

Also from the urban dictionary which helps define the differences among these terms....

One of four titles used to classify someone based on their technical and social skills. The other three titles are nerd, dork, and normie. The difference between the four titles can be easily shown in table form:

................ Technical ...... Social
Title ............ Skills ......... Skills
---------- ---------------- ------------
Normie ......... No ............. Yes
Geek ........... Yes ............. Yes
Nerd ............ Yes ............. No
Dork ............ No .............. No

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.
If you met me at a party, you would have no idea that I enjoy finite element analysis-based inviscid flow modelling using computational fluid dynamics. That's because I'm a geek.

All this being said and given the traditional definition as supplied by @Anonymous  I will offer my sincerest apologies to any member who may have been slighted or insulted by my terminology and specifically to @computergeek541 who has remained above the fray and is busy fulfilling his former official oracle sense of duty as a retiree and his dedication to the community that does not go un-noticed by this member nor others. Thank you for your good works it is appreciated if not always acknowledged.

If anyone wants to have a discussion about the Seinfeld "the soup guy" episode I will meet you in the lounge.....

darlicious®

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux 

In ones own personal reference whatever one wants to self-identify as is fine. My issue is others saying that to me or referring to me that way. There are all kinds of examples of calling oneself something but you don't dare call them that yourself (unless permitted by that one person to them only).

I'm not going to bite their head off or fight about it. My skins a little thicker than that. But it's a disrespectful term in my book.

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous  Ok, that's fair enough - to each their own.... I get why you don't personally use either of those terms, but I still think it's gotten to be commonplace for many of us to refer to ourselves that way(especially in the poking fun at oneself kind of way), whether we think of ourselves in any of those dictionary definitions of "geek" or "nerd", or not. Given the username in use, that would SEEM to be the case there too. 🤔

And on the topic of "nerd", although I know words are added & subtracted from dictionaries on a regular basis, but it still blows me away that that particular word actually has a dictionary definition! 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux 

I don't. Never have. Computer guy, computer tech, tech guy, IT guy etc.

Duckduckgo - define geek - comes up first with a definition box

• A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
  • A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

Those feel derogatory to me.

The same with nerd adds:

A person who is intellectual but generally introverted

I can't know if I'm intellectual but I have an introverted tendency so not too far from me but the definition also had the two above.

So no never have referred to myself using these terms and for those reasons.

CFPartDeux

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Don't tell me you've lost your funny bone.....now of course if @computergeek541 feels its insulting or disrespectful rather than what it was meant to be.....a little gentle ribbing mixed with a term of endearment and a badge of honour among a regular group of members having a little levity and camaraderie then I will remove the reference and apologize.......

@darlicious, not at all but as someone who has had a nickname given to them here I was able to laugh at that, but I know the name was not given as a term of endearment but more of an insult.  That is why I made the comment I did.  Gentle ribbing among regulars is seen differently by those who are not regulars, and we have a lot of those.  Future community participants will also read this and wonder what was going on.

Well Dudley, you TRIED to do right, and save Nell(and others), from being tied to the railway tracks, but it seems neither you, nor Horse, were able to foil that weasel Snidely Whiplash, since, even though you caught him red-handed, the Mounties' Superintendent saw fit to administer nothing more than a slap on the wrist. 🙄 🤮

How's THAT for something that future community participants can read and wonder what was going on!? 😉 🤣

darlicious©

darlicious™

darlicious®

CFPartDeux

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious 

Being a computer guy for most of my working life I do in fact take some exception to the term. But then I also understand that one could be a statistics geek. A biology geek. Any particular expertise, self-taught or otherwise, of a particular ability could be labeled as a geek of it.

But I think it has a derogatory undertone. It's a way of de-valuing what the person has to offer.

JMNSHO

I'm rather surprised by that, because I think it's gotten to be rather commonplace, over the last many years, for those of us that build/fix/update computers for ourselves and others, and/or are fairly well versed in most things about computers, to refer to OURSELVES as computer "geeks" or "nerds"...... maybe not as @darlicious said, about being "proud" of it, but more in a matter-of-fact kind of way, and I think the poking fun at oneself does play a part in it.

Since this whole thing seems to be something about(guess I missed those festivities 🤔) the recently retired Oracle, who indeed uses "computergeek" in his username, although I'm sure he doesn't give a crap about my opinion, I wouldn't THINK he'd see something "derogatory" in the usage of word...... but then, I suppose he can speak for himself.....

@ShawnC13 

Exasperated.......why must every little attempt at humour, cultural reference, pun or otherwise be questioned, explained, defended.......are we in the company of weasels? Or wolves? Or wombats? When i first started here i noticed "ninja'd".....it took a bit but i figured out the joke. Lol! It's funny I like this place.....cant wait to get ninja'd myself! But wait if i dont know any better and come from a different cultural background then....what? Should I be offended that someone registered and trademarked my long and winding road style of post as darlicious (insert registered trademark symbol here cause I don't know how to do that)?

Irony.....what was meant to bring a little levity gets over analyzed and has left me puzzled....but others can actually be mean, vindictive, manipulative bullies and not a word is said, a warning issued or a ban imposed. I'll happily be geeked everyday of the week over the company of a wiley weasel! Wazz up!!

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Don't tell me you've lost your funny bone.....now of course if @computergeek541 feels its insulting or disrespectful rather than what it was meant to be.....a little gentle ribbing mixed with a term of endearment and a badge of honour among a regular group of members having a little levity and camaraderie then I will remove the reference and apologize.......

@darlicious, not at all but as someone who has had a nickname given to them here I was able to laugh at that, but I know the name was not given as a term of endearment but more of an insult.  That is why I made the comment I did.  Gentle ribbing among regulars is seen differently by those who are not regulars, and we have a lot of those.  Future community participants will also read this and wonder what was going on.

@ShawnC13 I agree with you.  May I suggest then that this topic be removed as insulting to our hardworking and very knowledgeable member @computergeek541 .

As for gentle ribbing among regulars being seen differently by outsiders like me, I find it humanizing the forums.  

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous 

Funny how each individual can take the same word and derive a hundred different connotations from it. They are all personalized by ones own experience....ive always assumed that by one using the term geek in ones username that they are proud of that fact and/or can laugh at oneself. A quality i find very important to have and i find at least a very attractive one. In a stereotypical scenario don't the "nerds" and "geeks" win in the end because they turn out like bill gates with billions of dollars, an intelligent and beautiful wife and family practicing good works and philanthropy?

I'm pretty sure the billions of dollars don't apply.....or his personal life i do not know.....but the practicing of good works and philanthropy certainly does.......man this was just supposed to be a little lighthearted fun and a bit of a laugh.......together vs at!    (sigh)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Outstanding analysis of the mysterious (to me) 1%. Incredible that he would get that in 10 days. Thank you for that.

Being a computer guy for most of my working life I do in fact take some exception to the term. But then I also understand that one could be a statistics geek. A biology geek. Any particular expertise, self-taught or otherwise, of a particular ability could be labeled as a geek of it.

But I think it has a derogatory undertone. It's a way of de-valuing what the person has to offer.

JMNSHO

@ShawnC13 

@Kered13 

@Anonymouswrote:

Bravo's earned and solutions received are apparently a part of the computation for the Community reward. Although even that can be peculiar sometimes as evidenced last month when a very high performer here just dropped out of sight after 10 days of the month and somehow even with that managed to get to top 1%. Not sure how. Certainly something more than nothing but top 1%? @darlicious has become our resident statistician around here (openly anyway 🙂). Maybe she has a comment on that if she cares to comment.

Well @Kered13 you may not know @gblackma whose prolific posting smashed records and contributed to the community with participation that left many with their chins on the ground and in a mere 10 months put in more effort than many of us could hope to in a lifetime on the community. Many of us also hope all is well with him and his mom @zblackma since their mysterious disappearance from contributing and will welcome them back with socially distant open arms when and if that happens.

In regards to a top 1% finish for September's community rewards it just goes to show if you cram all your help in a shorter period of time if it's effective in earning the praise it deserves (in community terms at least) that being bravos and solutions then it will be reflected in the reward awarded to the member. Seeing as @gblackma in those 10 days was on track to be earning another PB on the unofficial stats chart for bravos ( the bravo leaderboard.) With about 130 bravos separating the top 4 members with the member in question sitting in the fourth position seemingly out of the top 1% it was the solutions that actually bumped the number one positioned member out of the top 1% as they were more than double the amount earned than by the other. One can safely conclude that a very high amount or a very low amount of solutions can be the deciding factor in your reward level among a group of otherwise equally contributing members statistically speaking.

But as we all know it's not the monetary reward you recieve but the enjoyment derived by participating and contributing to the community by way of getting help, giving help and the sharing of ideas.

The collecting of cans and bottles for refund requires far less effort and is far more lucrative than community rewards could ever be.....statistically speaking for every reply i post equals approximately ....lol.....my two cents worth of community reward. Wow you can make those kind of stats up!   

Top 5%=$10÷500 posts=$0.02 per post.

Personally, I do not think the term "Geeked" is acceptable.  Especially as it is in reference to a person who puts in a ton of time into the community.  Threads get moved and merged some people lose bravo's others lose solutions but it is for the general cleanliness of the community and making a post of "I've just been geeked" shouldn't be acceptable

The thread in question had someone posting questions about a single issue in multiple and seemingly random places, with the member probably not realizing how to find the original thread. That makes it harder, even for the person asking the questions, to find that answers. As for the solutions, I did not do anything with those in this case. Especially when it comes to the Community category, it's become quite clear that is poorly named. I'll also say that, at least for me, if I'm extremely concerned about my own Community statistics, that can only lead to disappointment if and when the Community reward level doesn't end up being what I expect. Enjoying using this website is far more important than numbers and a few dollars in rewards that don't even begin to compensate for the amount of time that regular members spend here.

@ShawnC13 @computergeek541  Edited as a subsequent post correctly suggested that my comments could be misconstrued by others towards someone who puts in a lot of time helping things run smoothly. Many thanks to all who do that thankless yob.

Need Help? Let's chat.