cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAUTION!!....MORE SPAMMERS!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Hey community members,

As was reported earlier on Saturday there was a couple of spam sent thru private messaging about making money $$$$ someway somehow.....

There are 29 new members that created their accounts between 9:31 pm pst and 9:36 pm pst when no one has posted since at least 8:36 pm pst until @Korth an hour later.....anyhow expect to see spam in your private messages in the morning. I messaged @Andu_S a heads up since I have yet to recieve any spam to be able to report it. As usual do not click on any links or repost them. Report the spam and delete it. Watch out for the following new members private messaging you......

Screenshot_20210328-004024~2.pngScreenshot_20210328-004038~3.pngScreenshot_20210328-004120~2.png

141 REPLIES 141

.. WilliamYork WilliamFrench DanielBeasley HectorBooker EdwardBerry BrianOsborne WillisWalker

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

OH BOY! And if customer support wasn't already getting bogged down....they get a brand new spam attack!!

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech 

Watching and reading recent videos/articles, they seem to get "enough" response to keep their operations running.  Similarly, I've noticed their tactics have gotten more creative too, pretending to be the CRA around Tax Season or other sneaky things.  I'm guessing it's an "easy" way for them to make money and it only takes a few people for them to break even/profit from their scams.  😞

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech Some people can be easy to get, if they just get one person every few hours then thats good for them, they've made their money for the day. We have watched a cbc marketplace clip where the journalists actually went to India and found some of these call centers, they just ended up kicking him out. The Indian government does not seem to proactive to stop these type of scams anyway. 

@softech @Yummy 

The old direct marketing technique (the envelope full of promos like carpet, duct or chimney cleaning services) is/was 5%. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar rate.

@softech wrote:

what is the rate of getting someone believe that to be true? )

Same question could be asked for receiving spam in your regular email.

Are you going to 'meet Julia', 'discover lonely Russians', buy some pills, invest into crypto, send money to Nigeria, etc., etc.

I guess if they get 1 in 10000 they win...

honest, I really want to know how effective those spam/scam messages.. most people these days ignore them.

(yeah, I know.. yesterday there was a post someone said he lost money from these junk... but seriously? what is the rate of getting someone believe that to be true? )

@Yummy 

With about 200,000 members to spam in theory they should get everyone once every 5 months or so....

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Yummy : Which would be a happy side-effect of not showing my online status.

But really...spam happens. Especially harmless ones from here.

Not necessarily always the case..

Well, if somebody is that idle to go through posts and collect user IDs in order to spam them, let them be. Send me spam, I will report it, delete and continue with my life...

@Yummy    They don't need to have ever posted in this forum to get these spam messages (I can verify).  Just need to start with the @ key and then start typing with a letter/s to get a list of possible usernames to send their spam to...

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, if somebody is that idle to go through posts and collect user IDs in order to spam them, let them be. Send me spam, I will report it, delete and continue with my life...

@Anonymous wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

I rarely get these spam messages.

no worry.. they see your message and you are on the list next.  LoL

@darlicious wrote:

. That and I have hit the 2000 photo limit

I thought they lifted the limit...

I would get an almost immediate response from a CSA by reporting it and drawing their attention to the current crop online.

So, you are the bad kid now and always get a visit to the Principal office.. or again.. YOU WORK FOR PM?  LoL

I rarely get these spam messages.

Maybe their code/logic is sophisticated enough to leave out us regulars who spend more time than others on here.

🤔

@softech 

Yes there were spammers at work again last night. It happens so often now I stopped reporting them. That and I have hit the 2000 photo limit so I have to delete a photo to upload a new one which is a bit of a fine art of deleting photos that don't affect a thread where the photo is essential to the thread.

@Yummy 

I am almost always online when the spammers are and I never get spammed. I wish I would because then I would get an almost immediate response from a CSA by reporting it and drawing their attention to the current crop online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably a repeat after 13 pages but I'll say stuff again for the sake of new readers.

By default you get an email notification of a private message. Harmless other than taking your attention for a moment and a tiny bit of data if you're on cell data.

Then maybe you log in some time and go in to your private messages and see it. Harmless other than now you've taken some time to do this. But maybe you were going to check out the community anyway.

Then you open the private message. Harmless other than again the time.

Now stop. Don't click on any links in the message as any sensible internet user wouldn't. Report/Ignore/Delete...carry on with your life.

It looks like spammers target those who are on-line at the time they decide to spam.

I did not get any...

Anyone spotted some new names this morning (last night) for those spammers? 

I see 2 different messages today seems to pointing about the scam messages they got.    I don't gone any myself today (luckily).. but just curious if there are some spammers working hard last night

these guys are everywhere..

Welcome new members:

Christopher-Sta , Joseph-Washingt , Marshall-Hender 

and Clifford-Franci  for telling me how to Work remotely to earn $3500 per week.. A LOT more than my hourly rate here.

@hTideGnow 

Lol.... I just knew that product had to exist!🤣🤣🤣

Oh. Turkey Spam

hTideGnow_0-1634043255205.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

.....and they're at it again! Thanksgiving spam.....talking turkey!

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious 

I wonder if there's another or better way Public Mobile can limit the number of spammers who sign up.  I realize it has to stay fairly open, but just throwing a thought out there.  Thanks for being so diligent with everything!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

11/10/21

Another round of spammers overnight. As per usual report and delete.

Edit:

Geez as I posted 12 more spammers just signed up!

Edit:

....and another 10 for about 65 total now. Be prepared for a slow down in in Customer support wait times on Thanksgiving Monday and beyond?

yes.. Michael-Heath  just messaged me  😞

Looks like it will be another busy day of reporting and deleting.Only caught the tail end so no heads up for the CSA's this time around.

Screenshot_20211001-035651~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

slower1

@Korth wrote:

This forum software is lousy, it makes some simple things into frustrating chores.

It's especially awful on mobile browsers. Tragic when you consider Public Mobile's business model depends on many customers being able to properly run this website on their smartphones.

At least they didn't go ahead with the Community Inbox "upgrade".  They showed up the "preview" twice, first time for  couple hours,  the other time for a full day i think.  The new inbox is a complete disaster.

faster1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

oh

faster1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hee

Need Help? Let's chat.