cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAUTION!!....MORE SPAMMERS!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Hey community members,

As was reported earlier on Saturday there was a couple of spam sent thru private messaging about making money $$$$ someway somehow.....

There are 29 new members that created their accounts between 9:31 pm pst and 9:36 pm pst when no one has posted since at least 8:36 pm pst until @Korth an hour later.....anyhow expect to see spam in your private messages in the morning. I messaged @Andu_S a heads up since I have yet to recieve any spam to be able to report it. As usual do not click on any links or repost them. Report the spam and delete it. Watch out for the following new members private messaging you......

Screenshot_20210328-004024~2.pngScreenshot_20210328-004038~3.pngScreenshot_20210328-004120~2.png

141 REPLIES 141

I am just wondering, how this long list might assist members fighting spammers?

When I get spam message I report it and delete it.

Report and delete.

Screenshot_20210920-022629~2.pngScreenshot_20210920-022639~2.pngScreenshot_20210920-022653~2.pngScreenshot_20210920-022702~2.png

As per usual....report and delete.....here's the latest round of spammers. Oops! Except for Kieran04 sorry dude!

Screenshot_20210914-224654~2.pngScreenshot_20210914-224703~5.pngScreenshot_20210914-224718~3.pngScreenshot_20210914-224728~2.pngScreenshot_20210914-224754.png

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 

What you say is so true (about other sites too).

What if Public Mobile did an extensive background check on each person who signs up for the Community, had multiple in-person interviews, and have them shadow an experienced Public Mobile user for atleast 100 hours of "Posting" time.  Then they can be an apprentice and have a Public Mobile staff member coach them through their first 100 posts.  After that, Public Mobile can take a $10,000 deposit, 50% refunded back after 6 months of good behaviour, and the remaining 50% refunded after 12 months of good behaviour... this would likely reduce spammers by 5%.  lol 😂

Seriously though, I think as a "community" they're doing pretty good with some very diligent eyes from our oracles and other users (like @darlicious).  🙂

@softech wrote:

Of course, they are using Khoros, not sure if it can customize like that.

Large corporations might idiotically lock themselves into dependency on lousy outsourced products. They don't mess around with small details which lose money when they can focus on "big picture" stuff which makes money.

Small businesses are more agile and adaptable - they will choose Khoros as long as Khoros gives them a survival advantage, they will abandon Khoros for something better once it becomes evident that Khoros is too buggy and limited to properly serve their needs.

@BlueB wrote:

@darlicious 

Interesting observations... I wonder if they would consider creating a new Moderator role to moderate new spammers and/or monitor and kick those accounts which are not legitimate.  With all the work you always put in, I think you'd be a great fit for that position.  🙂

I am an Admin and a Moderator on other sites I visit and they get hit hard too (one more than the other).  If we are seeing this many make it through I am sure the spam detector is picking up many more accounts that don't get through.  The ones that seem to get through on the other sites  I am on are all from the same country and for some reason make it by all the protection in place,  You can't use an  IP ban as they just switch it up.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BlueB

@darlicious 

Interesting observations... I wonder if they would consider creating a new Moderator role to moderate new spammers and/or monitor and kick those accounts which are not legitimate.  With all the work you always put in, I think you'd be a great fit for that position.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Your wording made it seem as though you knew the ip at the time of writing the list of questionable usernames. So I asked. I didn't think so.

@Anonymous 

Yes that is what has been reported back to me. 

@Yummy 

You only have to look at the list to easily identify the bogus accounts and then be proactive by banning the IP address(es?) and check in again at the same time two days later banning the accounts as they are made and the IP address is identified.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you look in your profile....bottom of page.....you will see your ISP.....but you cannot see others. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Say what now?! How do you know what their ip address is?

I suspect you might be meaning afterwards and a CSA tells you this as part of their investigation.

@Yummy 

How do I know? It's pretty easy and they almost always come from the same IP address.

@darlicious wrote:

Pm needs to nip them in the bud rather than let them go to full bloom.

How would you propose PM to do that?

How could they know who is legitimate vs spammer client?

@darlicious wrote:

.neither of these restrictions can work as it will affect more legitimate customers from not receiving help or customer support 

Honest, I do not think the Private messaging is that important to new users.  As long as they can private message CS_Agent..  Or restricting them to private message one user per message, and a daily limit of # messages   (maybe messaging CS_Agent does not count towards the limit)..

again, there is technical side involved.. not sure how much they can do with Khoros

yes.. to clarify.. i was focusing on the Private messaging.. not post.. I think posting is ok.. so far,we don't see too many Spam posts.. and Oracle can also delete it or move them to the "Lounge"

And around and around and around we go....neither of these restrictions can work as it will affect more legitimate customers from not receiving help or customer support than the spate of spammers we get every 2 to 3 weeks. Pm needs to nip them in the bud rather than let them go to full bloom.

@softech wrote:

I always say they should restrict a bit with new members.. like within 7 days, they can only send to CS_agent and they can only reply and not compose new.. ..

In some cases new and potential clients create Community account and post right away because they are in trouble with PM or need assistance/have questions to be answered ASAP.

Restrictions should be put for new members to not be able to send private message (for first 7-10 days) as all spams are sent to your mail-box not to forum.

BlueB

@softech 

I like your ideas... maybe not exactly as suggested because it would hamper the point of getting help from the Community and reduce the directly messaging to the CS Agents.  However, having some restrictions, limits, etc could be helpful.

In addition to CS Agents and Oracles, your ideas could still work maybe with use of a new "Moderator" position who acts as the gatekeeper for new users' messages.  New users can post, but they would go into a Moderator queue and designated Moderators would approve posts for the public.

Not sure how customizable the Khoros platform is either, but good to start pitching some thoughts!  🙂

@BlueB 

What they could do is give us a better way of reporting them. I didn't even get a reply from the CSA's this time. They follow a distinct pattern and I usually notice the new membership within the first half hour of their creation but after reporting I have seen them still actively spamming 8 hours later. Maybe @J_PM  can answer your question....

I always say they should restrict a bit with new members.. like within 7 days, they can only send to CS_agent and they can only reply and not compose new.. ..

or within 30 days, they can only send to 1 person at a time.. and 5 messages daily limit.. something like this.

Of course, they are using Khoros, not sure if it can customize like that.

BlueB

@darlicious 

I am always impressed with the work and care you put into this Community!  🙂

From your perspective, is there something Public Mobile can do with its systems to better filter/restrict possibly "automated" signups?

stevenanto

@softech they are like ants, just keep multiplying

sadly.. PM might have blocked them , but they create another new account and come back even stronger...

stevenanto

@darlicious My goodness, that list looks like its growing. 

thank you for your work

Here are the latest spammers as of 1am pacific September 3rd. As per usual Report then delete.

Screenshot_20210903-010304~2.pngScreenshot_20210903-010404~2.pngScreenshot_20210903-010446~2.png

@Yummy Ask @darlicious and @Meow they'll tell you why.

Why such long list of spammers have been provided?

And why some names are masked out?

Simplest way to deal with spammers is to report it to MODs (click on 'Report') and forget it.

If their 'deals' were so good, THEY would keep it for themselves and not 'spread the joy'...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

As per their M.O. they are back...

Screenshot_20210820-011147~2.pngScreenshot_20210820-011307~2.png

chainsawcowboy

@darlicious

Good on ya! Vermin is what they are!

Well they're back!! As per usual Report and delete....

Screenshot_20210818-003902~2.pngScreenshot_20210818-003953~2.pngScreenshot_20210818-004045~2.pngScreenshot_20210818-004147~2.pngScreenshot_20210818-003731~2.png

Need Help? Let's chat.