cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAUTION!!....MORE SPAMMERS!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Hey community members,

As was reported earlier on Saturday there was a couple of spam sent thru private messaging about making money $$$$ someway somehow.....

There are 29 new members that created their accounts between 9:31 pm pst and 9:36 pm pst when no one has posted since at least 8:36 pm pst until @Korth an hour later.....anyhow expect to see spam in your private messages in the morning. I messaged @Andu_S a heads up since I have yet to recieve any spam to be able to report it. As usual do not click on any links or repost them. Report the spam and delete it. Watch out for the following new members private messaging you......

Screenshot_20210328-004024~2.pngScreenshot_20210328-004038~3.pngScreenshot_20210328-004120~2.png

141 REPLIES 141

Brooke12211
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Stay safe and stay scam free hope as many people see this post as i have dealt with these scams before wish all the best and dont hesitate to ask me any questions relating to these scams and tips i can give as a disclaimer in no way am i a moderator so all i can give you is advice and tips please dont give out personal information or data to anyone but official public mobile representatives

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brooke12211 : Yup. That's pretty much it. Don't click on links from unknown sources. Even if you know the source, be very wary of links. Spammers gonna spam. Scammers gonna scam. We don't need to fall for it. They keep on coming because people keep falling for them.

Brooke12211

I was told that i qould recieve a 1000 dollars fir no reason dont fall for scams if you won something they will come to you in person DONT TRUST FREE MONEY NOTHING IS FREE IN LIFE hope nobody has fallen to these scum, they have no hearts to be doing this especially in such a warm community

@softech

It seems @Christopher_T  is just lurking for the canned laughter! No spam intended.....🤣

Hey @Christopher_T , i see your name on the can.. you are mastermind of all these?  

Christopher_T

4612sw.jpg

Here's the lastest list folks....as per usual report and delete and don't click on any links..... all except @Christopher_T   of course he is just always lurking online!🤣

Edit: Oops looks like Rawnii slipped past my tired eyes.....an innocent party!!

Screenshot_20210527-002550.png

Screenshot_20210527-002614.pngScreenshot_20210527-002624~3.pngScreenshot_20210527-002601.png

Hmmm....no response at all from the moderators this time. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I imagine they have their hands full and response times will be significantly slower today. Anone heard from a moderator yet today?

@cellphoneuser1 

Nope not yet but I have been right in my spotting of this pattern and the sudden influx of "New in Town" members late at night that all create accounts in a short period of time when there are usually less than 10 members online at this time at night.

These spammers can send out a minimum of 18,000 private message spam in an 8 to 10 hour period of time before members who do recieve messages begin to report them to the moderators. I am also using my post to test a new way to inform the moderators of a spam attack so they can get ahead of the amount of spam being sent out that will otherwise occupy the moderators time tomorrow and severely slow down moderator response time. Moderators are able to check the IP address of the new members as they usually come from the same one or two IP addresses.

@darlicious wrote:

Dear Community,

Here's the latest list of spammers....as per usual report and delete their messages.

Screenshot_20210503-004914~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004924~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004934~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004944~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-005003~2.png

New in Town doesn't mean spammer. Lots of people use their name. The format of name shows you might be right but there could be legitimate members in your list. Did you get messages from them?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Dear Community,

Here's the latest list of spammers....as per usual report and delete their messages.

Screenshot_20210503-004914~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004924~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004934~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-004944~2.pngScreenshot_20210503-005003~2.png

I am happy to report back that the moderators are hard at work banning the spammers from my list.

Two separate spam messages tonight. Both reported and a private message sent to the moderators. Expect wait times to be increased as the moderators respond to spam reports. I don't understand why there isn't someone assigned to identifying patterns and monitoring the community for these kind of spam attacks once the first one occurs?

@Melinda_H 

I have a hunch that on Friday night at about 9:30pm pst there will suddenly be 30 odd "new in town" community members using their first and last names as their profile names. They will send spam privately til about 7:30 am.

@Anonymous 

I did the math the other day when that group was spamming for 10 hours....if they each sent one spam per minute they were able to spam 18,000 community members.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. Not something I would spend my time on. To each their own. Just wondering. Cheers

@Anonymous 

I have one correction to make that I sent to Andu but they follow a pattern of every two days starting at about 9:30pm pst. They all use full first and last names and when the moderators check them out they are all created from the same IP address.

Normally at this time there are maybe 10 members online. Can you find my one error that I should have crossed out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you so certain that they're all spammers?

Hi members,

Here is tonight's latest list......they spammed me early so hopefully @Andu_S is already jumping on the banning wagon!

Edit: Looks like I missed crossing out 2 legitimate members....anyone want to guess which ones?

My apologies to those two innocent community members.

Screenshot_20210331-222231~2.pngScreenshot_20210331-222243~2.pngScreenshot_20210331-222300~2.pngScreenshot_20210331-222309~2.pngScreenshot_20210331-222333~2.png

@Anonymous 

Well that took about 5 minutes for a response from a moderator....too bad there wasn't a faster way to report the initial online presence of them rather than giving them 10 hours of unfettered spamming time!

Ok I'm out before I get confused and start bravoing people. See ya on the flip side!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I only get email notifications for pm's. That's the only reason I knew it was there. Otherwise, I haven't been in that account for a while either.

@Anonymous 

I accidently signed out so I thought I would check in on max and he got to rat out his spammer too! I'm sure @darlicious will appreciate the last line of the spammers private message:

Don't miss the chance to get your piece of the pie!

Would that be "community pie"? I think I will hang out for a little while longer to see how long it takes for a moderator to respond to the ratting out of the spammer......and go thru max's notifications.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HappytoRetire wrote:

I and many others don't appreciate it. It's annoying

Did I not just say I reported it? Sure it's a tiny bit of a bother. But it's a fact of digital life. Report, delete, move on with life. Don't click links so hover over them to check where it goes. This has been how it's been since the beginning of the internet.

HappytoRetire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I and many others don't appreciate it. It's annoying

Anonymous
Not applicable

My other community account that I use for contests got one after midnight this morning. meh. Report/delete/done.

The email notification is harmless. The subject line link links to the community. Of course the body links to the community. It's only in the private message body that has an unwelcome link.

HappytoRetire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I will be doing the same. Not too appreciative about receiving spam !!! 

OMG!! Too funny.....I got my spam message this morning......very early this morning which when I looked at the time was 1 minute after I signed out and went to sleep! They are watchiing me......

Reported and deleted but the moderator team has not responded to my private message from last night yet so hopefully this speeds up the process because those spammers must have been busy spamming for at least 7 1/2 hours overnight. Seems to me it might have slowed moderator response time down today.

Hi members!

We've got more.....again I've given @Andu_S another heads up but here's a new list of spammers to watch out for and report and delete as per usual.

Screenshot_20210330-020421~2.pngScreenshot_20210330-020432~3.pngScreenshot_20210330-020452~4.pngScreenshot_20210330-020502~3.png

Moved:

removed messages with content containing deragtory language that is against terms of service

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious Great work to you too, you were the one that spearheaded this operation!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

UPDATE

Well I'm happy to report that I heard back from @Andu_S and after supplying the screenshots I took he was able to look up all of the community accounts of the spammers and those who had not already been banned by members reporting them ( Great job everybody!) were banned by Andu and the IP address they originated from as well. If anyone finds a spam message from the now banned members in the screenshots can safely just delete the messages without needing to report the spam. 

Great work Andu_S in proactively ridding the community of these unsavoury spamming members. The community thanks you for your diligence!

darlicious

Need Help? Let's chat.