cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAUTION!!....MORE SPAMMERS!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Hey community members,

As was reported earlier on Saturday there was a couple of spam sent thru private messaging about making money $$$$ someway somehow.....

There are 29 new members that created their accounts between 9:31 pm pst and 9:36 pm pst when no one has posted since at least 8:36 pm pst until @Korth an hour later.....anyhow expect to see spam in your private messages in the morning. I messaged @Andu_S a heads up since I have yet to recieve any spam to be able to report it. As usual do not click on any links or repost them. Report the spam and delete it. Watch out for the following new members private messaging you......

Screenshot_20210328-004024~2.pngScreenshot_20210328-004038~3.pngScreenshot_20210328-004120~2.png

141 REPLIES 141

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous 

Sure, it's harmless.   I don't even read em - report, delete, done.

I, too, grew up in quite a rural area.   If I didn't see em, at least the untethered dog got em!!!

Those were the good ole days...

Spudster

@darlicious wrote:

@Spudster 

How do you know and how do you program who can and cannot "ring your doorbell" or email you or call your phone? You can't without a huge investment or that ability would already exist. Its like spam callers....what do you do? Block them or ignore them......you have the same choice here.....

It was a comparison.   

Can you not see how some might not want to be private messaged from anyone OTHER THAN PM staff, and that they should have that user-defined capability to simply select a box to that effect?

I'm certainly not saying take away or restrict Private Messaging at all - i think it's great and should be wide open to anyone who wants to use it to communicate.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Like I said...not enough time to escape unseen. 🙂 Knocky makes more sense to me. Could be knicky. Dunno.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Isn't knicky knicky nine doors? The question is were you the one that left the flaming bag of ? on the doorstep? 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spudster wrote:

I agree, @Anonymous , simple to ignore and delete and move on, big deal.   But if I may propose, say you had a doorbell which was within arm's reach from the sidewalk, would you want everyone who walks by to be able to ring that doorbell, or wouldn't you like to make it such that it only rings for people you're expecting or you've allowed to ring it.   

I'm all for choice - simple.

It's kind of a different part of the discussion. Fun analogy. Knocky-knocky nine doors 🙂 I grew up in a somewhat more rural-ish area though. So as you made your escape, the resident had plenty of time to see you.

I maintain that getting something like these things is utterly harmless. Delete. Hang up.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Spudster 

How do you know and how do you program who can and cannot "ring your doorbell" or email you or call your phone? You can't without a huge investment or that ability would already exist. Its like spam callers....what do you do? Block them or ignore them......you have the same choice here.....

Spudster

I'm more in your camp, @Meow , with a tweak.   

The difference in what I'm saying is LET THE USER DECIDE who can and can't send them private messages.  Make it a user-defined setting.

Then all the chat-a-lots who WANT to spend countless hours researching, asking, private messaging other members, can do so to their hearts desire with whomever wants to spend the time to chat back.   That's totally FINE if both parties want that, account-holder or not.

And for that lot of customers who ONLY want to receive private messages from Public Mobile staff - let them have that user setting to receive only from MOD's or PM designations.

I agree, @Anonymous , simple to ignore and delete and move on, big deal.   But if I may propose, say you had a doorbell which was within arm's reach from the sidewalk, would you want everyone who walks by to be able to ring that doorbell, or wouldn't you like to make it such that it only rings for people you're expecting or you've allowed to ring it.   

I'm all for choice - simple.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Shoulda seen this place a year ago. It. Was. Insane.

Spammers have been around forever. I don't know why people get so up in arms about it. Delete and move on. It's a fact of our modern life.

Insane? Really? Wow... So I am lucky I signed up in 2021 🙂

Then we should fight spammers. Following your logic one day rape, robbery, beating people will be 'fact of modern life'. NOT!

No. Those leave victims. I wrote..."Delete and move on". No victim. I'm talking about completely avoidable victimization. Not just going about life and being unavoidably victimized.

The phone rings, many people don't bother to answer, or answer the phone, they're promising riches, you don't know them, hang up. You get an email promising riches, I set my email program to not show images, they don't know if I opened it, I delete it. You get a private message promising riches, delete it. You get a text promising riches, delete it.

All completely avoidable. I call it practicing safe interneting.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Some members are former customers who still like to help out. Others are potential customers doing research before they switch. Others still had been a victim of a fraudulent port and came here for help and needed to create a community account in order to contact customer service (the moderators). I wish I knew about the community before I joined as I would have saved some money and grief....and known where to get a referral code! ( By private messsging and asking a "new" friend for one.)

There is even @Ed404  who infamously was member for an entire month, hedged his bets, scored the fantastic 2019 black friday deal, switched to pm on the last day of November and earned a $5 community reward a week later for his efforts! So there is a myriad of reasons to not limit community members to customers only.....

But it would be nice if pm could stop the spammers before they spam members but atm pm can only ban spammers once a spam from them is reported first by a member.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

Spammers have been around forever. I don't know why people get so up in arms about it. Delete and move on. It's a fact of our modern life.

Insane? Really? Wow... So I am lucky I signed up in 2021 🙂

Then we should fight spammers. Following your logic one day rape, robbery, beating people will be 'fact of modern life'. NOT!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

General rule is - NEVER click on web links provided from unknown (or even known) sources.

NOBODY in the world (except your loved ones) will offer you something for free or easy money. I still cannot understand why people are gullible. Even if message is from the 'bank' or 'government', rule of thumb is to call known number and inquire regarding some 'offer' or similar.

I would even consider calling 911 if stopped in the middle of the night by 'police' to verify are they for real. So much scam these days...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

But in this covid situation we are now, maybe a looooot of people have a loooot of free time on their hands.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Well... problem is that ANYBODY can sign up to be Community member.

If ONLY PM account holders are to be Community members, you will not have spammers...

I see no point on general public being Community members. Are they going to contribute something just for fun? with no potential reward.

But in this covid situation we are now, maybe a looooot of people have a loooot of free time on their hands.

Spudster

Seems a pretty easy fix - don't allow new members to have access to private message existing members unless the existing member reaches out to them first.

Heck - make it a user-defined setting so users can determine whether, and from whom, they can receive incoming messages.

Some may only want to be able to receive from only those with the designation of MOD or PM.  Others probably couldn't care less -  give the user the choice.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Information from a previous thread from the moderators.

Hey Community,

We’ve heard that some of you have received spam in your Private Message folder on the Community. The team has put great effort into filtering out spam messages, but in the case you do receive one, here’s what to do:

1. DO NOT click on any links within the message

2. Report the message

Triguy_0-1616945366194.png

3. Delete the message

Note that you do not need to submit a ticket. Our Moderator team will be taking immediate action and banning users sending the spam messages upon reporting.

Your safety and security is top priority for us. We are investigating additional ways to help limit these instances. Please help us by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity on the Community. 

- The Public Mobile Team

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yup.  They are definitely out in full force over the last day or two.

Good on you @darlicious  for informing people👍 -  this is something Public Mobile should be doing more routinely.

Spudster

That.  Was.  Hilarious.  @darlicious 

BearFBI

Yup I got that message too.

Korth
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.