cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware - Fraudsters asking for Public Mobile account numbers

kpawluk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Please be aware that there are fraudsters offering people Telus internet loyalty programs, as part of the supposed upgrade they are asking for people's Public Mobile account numbers. I'm not sure what they can do with this information but be careful.

Cheers,

Kylee

11 REPLIES 11

kpawluk

It was initially through email but when contacted they asked for my Public Mobile account number and when I questioned why they needed that information they said it was because it was a Telus subsidiary. They are getting clever!

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good advice - everyone needs to be so aware these days!

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

they just keep on getting more and more creative. The best thing to make sure that it is in fact real is to ask them if there is a number that you can call them back at. They usually come up with an excuse that they can not offer the same offer again, it is now only. 

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice to know about this.

did they reach you through call or text or here in community?

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kpawluk Thanks for letting us know! Be sure to report the person if you come across it. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@kpawluk wrote:

Hi all,

Please be aware that there are fraudsters offering people Telus internet loyalty programs, as part of the supposed upgrade they are asking for people's Public

Thanks for warning. How did you get this solicitation? PM mailbox? Personal email, SMS, phone call?

Even if police calls me I will ask for and verify call back number.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@kpawluk wrote:

Hi all,

Please be aware that there are fraudsters offering people Telus internet loyalty programs, as part of the supposed upgrade they are asking for people's Public Mobile account numbers. I'm not sure what they can do with this information but be careful.

Cheers,

Kylee

@kpawluk  whoa, thanks for the heads up. That is no good.

How are you receiving this communication?

Emails, texts, Private messaging through the Community ... if this way, make sure to follow these steps: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/What-to-do-with-spam-in-your-Private-Me...

Make sure you and anyone else reading this does not provide that info. of course and not to click on any links in the communication.

*Unless it can be verified.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@kpawluk  did they approach you via Private message on Community inbox?  you should report them

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kpawluk 

ignore and deleted...

kpawluk

Yes, and these ones were very sophistocated. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kpawluk    Good advice and it seems fraudsters and spammers just keep multiplying!

Need Help? Let's chat.