cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the Top Contributor Announcement for Sep 2021

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

WOW! So it looks like not only will shout-outs of top contributors no longer be truly shouted out but now it seems that PM is taking another turn on this and we can no longer give congratulations to those that have made significant contributions?

That REALLY will help this community feel like a community, won't it? So nothing says community like a "Community"  board that limits community,

Well congrats anyway to all that did contribute, whomever you are and may see this, since PM does not even acknowledge you publicly anymore... ironic given the name of the company, "PUBLIC" Mobile.

116 REPLIES 116

@darlicious I am quoting your post via link, as, well...it is long: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/About-the-Top-Contributor-Announcement-for-...

Public Mobile is a business (as been mentioned by others before).

What brings the majority of members, current and future customers to the Community Forum? Well, researching about the service, rewards program, issues they are looking for answers to, etc.

Sure there is a social aspect to it as well. If you are heavier into the social bit, then Lounge it out!

I feel the main purpose of the Community Forum is a Question to be Answered, nuff said.

If PM feels this is the method they want their posts/bravos/solutions assigned to, which in affect, is how they issue out Community Rewards, then, I see nothing wrong with that.

It should be lessening the TICKETS submitted overall - WHICH, isn't that part of the reason with PM's marketing (save costs on call center's / agents to call / etc.)?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv   Agreed 😊    Yes it would be nice if more customers were aware that many things, whether related/or not to "PM services" get discussed in the Lounge as well.  So more awareness of the Lounge would definitely be helpful..

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@softech wrote:

@dabr   the difference is Lounge post won't show up on the front page.  If you did not reply on the thread earlier, you wouldn't  notice a thread is there. 

@softech   True enough, although there is a link to the Lounge thread in the "official recognition" by Silvio_M.

@dabr  - exactly - now that I noticed that - heehee.

This change will likely education more members ABOUT the Lounge.

That is a good thing, right.

The Lounge category is some members' beef.

Ok, I can understand where some of that may be coming from.

You have to go 'seek' out the Lounge to see posts/topics.

esjliv_0-1634243332443.png

Perhaps this will lead to further improvements.

Something to distinguish the difference between these two areas of posts.

Something like, all categories above (except 'The Lounge') under a

"Public Mobile Community" HEADER; 

then, 

esjliv_1-1634243635877.png

under a "Public Mobile Lounge" HEADER

Here in lies the problem. I lobbied for a community board to be created so the community membership would have a designated area to discuss all things public mobile community related.

But the Oracle Team being diametrically opposed to this idea has made it a graveyard of moved posts. Even if a thread is created that fosters a discussion about the community....how it works, community etiquette, mentoring new users, forum discussion, community rewards, how bravos work....especially any discussion about bravos it promptly gets bounced to the lounge.

Oh no if you are not directly helping an OP with a component of their service then it belongs in the lounge. Well the community is part of our service. It's an integral part of customer service and a main component of pm's business model and their marketing program. But because the oracles deem it not worthy of earning community rewards its tossed out of the main forum like the baby's bath water.

From the limited info I have been able to drag out of the oracles they provide feedback to pm from their customers yet they steadfastly refuse to support the feedback they get from us in regards to our frustration with how, when, where and why they move "legitimate" threads to the lounge and don't allow the community board flourish with posts and threads that it was designed and created to encompass.

@ShawnC13  wrote:

"As Oracles we are not representatives of PM or Telus, we are still just customers with some extra perks.  If you feared you wouldn't be able to retain your free speech (which Canada does not have we have Freedom of Expression) comments made by Oracles that criticize PM should show you that we do still have freedom in expressing our thoughts on how things are with PM.  I am not sure what you meant by you expected more from the Oracle Team?  Does this mean you want the Oracles to agree with everything PM does?  Sitting in on the Quarterly Oracle Connects I can assure you that we give and are expected to give honest and open comments good or bad.

I believe the Oracle team pushes very hard for improvements of the service and provides the information that we collect from the community to PM.  Pushing for improvements with PM will be beneficial to the customer who will then feel comfortable referring people to PM again and therefore it is beneficial to PM as well."

"It is unfortunate I think there is a huge misconception that Oracles work for PM and will only give praise to them.  We actually bring the real-life experiences of their customers to them good or bad."

I often start a thread with a statistical based post to foster discussion especially when it's slow which may or may not prevent some of the repetitive posts from occurring by occupying a members time and brain as they offer their opinion. But what comes of that thread can be an exciting discovery or an entertaining read with a few nuggets of knowledge that pop out as a discussion meanders around the original topic.

The unofficial bravo leaderboard wandered slightly off topic got relegated to the lounge because of this and it contained the word bravo.....or shall I say **good for you**?!! But it did eventually enlighten me some what on what our 9 oracles have been up to.....all information that other members could find to be of interest to them if it was in the community board with replies on the landing page....but it languishes in the lounge with so many other community board worthy posts and threads.

The lounge is supposed to be about everything not related to pm, phones and our service. Not everything the oracles deem not worthy of a bravo or for the occasional member to lay their eyes upon should they be corrupted into contributing to the thread.

no worry..my comment won't count.  I don't see PM will change it back.. just want to say voice up my "discomfort" of it's decision

@softech wrote:

@dabr   the difference is Lounge post won't show up on the front page.  If you did not reply on the thread earlier, you wouldn't  notice a thread is there. 

@softech   True enough, although there is a link to the Lounge thread in the "official recognition" by Silvio_M.

@softech wrote:

I honestly don't see the need to PM to "police" the Top Contributor Thread like this.   It is likely $50 thread max?   Many of us will get the same reward with or without this thread.  So, this thread might be 7 pages long with around 70 posts and could cumulate  as many as 700 bravos, probably only 20 users might be really able to benefit the $1 reward out of it.  So, the actually cost for PM is $20

It was a fun day seeing everyone congrats each other.. like a party day once a month.. why not?  I understand this is not a service related thread.. but it is a Community related.  Honest, life doesn't have to be so boring, business is here, any "useless" complements go back to the Lounge.  

Talking about crack down on questionable posts.. has PM done anything with those repeated replies which pretty much just a summary of other replies earlier, no added-value.. and also, solution was already chosen 30 hours ago.

EXACTLY! Cost is minimal at worst. Comes across as cheep as lacks appreciation for the fact that this forum is MORE THAN just a help forum but is ALSO a MARKETING forum...

And the community and its related rewards are a unique aspect of the brand, where users can connect not only with PM but others too.

Seems that PM has lost the vision for what uniqueness that this brand offers.... just to save a few marketing dollars? In the grand scheme of marketing, it is insignificant and a small cost of doing business. I think this latest move only tarnishes the brand rather than helps it.

@J_PM  Please take these comments into consideration.

@dabr   the difference is Lounge posts won't show up on the front page.  They are not part of  Latest Topics or Latest posts.   If you did not reply on the thread earlier, you wouldn't  notice a thread is there.   

I have to admit it took me a month or 2 before I notice there are some good posts in the Lounge 

@softechwrote:

"It was a fun day seeing everyone congrats each other.. like a party day once a month.. why not?"

Not sure why it can't still  be "fun" in the Lounge?

@Quigley wrote:

@pm-smayer97     To bad you didn't tag Jade, then they might look at this thread. lol

Good poiint... done!

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

I hope PM reads this and seeks to gain better understanding of the value of this forum, since it is THE ONLY way to communicate with them and others.

@J_PM   Please take time to read my feedback above for consideration.

I honestly don't see the need to PM to "police" the Top Contributor Thread like this.   It is likely $50 thread max?   Many of us will get the same reward with or without this thread.  So, this thread might be 7 pages long with around 70 posts and could cumulate  as many as 700 bravos, probably only 20 users might be really able to benefit the $1 reward out of it.  So, the actually cost for PM is $20

It was a fun day seeing everyone congrats each other.. like a party day once a month.. why not?  I understand this is not a service related thread.. but it is a Community related.  Honest, life doesn't have to be so boring, business is here, any "useless" complements go back to the Lounge.  

Talking about crack down on questionable posts.. has PM done anything with those repeated replies which pretty much just a summary of other replies on the same threads long ago, no added-value.. and also, solution was already chosen 30 hours ago.

@pm-smayer97     To bad you didn't tag Jade, then they might look at this thread. lol

@darlicious wrote:

The only problem that arises from it starting in the lounge rather than be moved to it is exposure and loss of marketing prowess....

... I think pm is being close minded in their approach and should really study other help forums and be open to making the community a little less rigid in how it categorizes helpful pm only posts and threads.

... 🤔

What PM and its influencers seem to fail to recognize is that this forum is NOT JUST a help forum but is ALSO a MARKETING forum that maintains community engagement, and the forum's incentives is what makes it work. This is one of the unique attractions to their brand.

The cost for Reward payouts is so miniscule from a marketing budget perspective, it is definitely close minded, and comes across as quite cheap.

I hope PM reads this and seeks to gain better understanding of the value of this forum, since it is THE ONLY way to communicate with them and others.

@benfatto wrote:

@pm-smayer97 "we can no longer give congratulations to those that have made significant contributions?"

Besides the Community reward does provide recognition. 

Rewards are a personal recognition but NOT a SHOUT OUT as PM claims it to be. Nor is it recognition by OTHERS in the community when a milestone is achieved.

@ShawnC13 

I remember @Korth  posting a link to a very unique one....but I believe fizz does and there are a few others I  can't remember them off the top of my head.

@darlicious do other help forums offer a financial reward?  Serious question I am not sure if others do and have wondered if other companies would use this business model.  

We also need to remember this is a business and if years are not sustainable for the betterment of the company(because yes everything is still Business driven) they could simply do away with them.

Edited:  Autocorrect put in Childish when I wanted business lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@hTideGnow 

Pm has been cheaping out since spring.....nothing new there. The more oracles on the team the less rewards for the common folk. I haven't gone around and added up every badge rewarded but other than Christmas pm has been sticking to about 100 total community badges/rewards for over a year.. While still low they did add one extra top 5% badge this month (2/7/9) but I had hoped to have seen (3/8/10) but alas that was not the case.

As I expressed in the moved to the lounge thread "Unofficial Bravo Leaderboard" I actually support the move to the lounge which is a rarity indeed! As bravo counts have steadily dropped since the removal of the bravo leaderboard the high meaningless bravos from the top contributors thread water down their value for actual high quality posts. While badge awardees basically remain the same those who received a community reward this month deservedly earned them rather than rewarding members that merely strategically post once in one thread.

The only problem that arises from it starting in the lounge rather than be moved to it is exposure and loss of marketing prowess. It seems obvious to me that pm and those who help influence the decisions pm makes concerning these matters is there is a concerted effort to downplay bravos and their effect in the secret formula and encourage a greater influence on the effect of solutions on said formula.

The unfortunate consequence of this change on the reward formula is a few members who already capitalize on this shift will further benefit from it. This encourages other members to copy and paste this strategy further diminishing the effectiveness of crowd sourced help and customer service. I think pm is being close minded in their approach and should really study other help forums and be open to making the community a little less rigid in how it categorizes helpful pm only posts and threads.

I suspect this thread is heading to the same place as all the others. 🤔

@hTideGnow wrote:

They have moved the shoutout to the Lounge. 

From what I have read, look like they don't want people to benefit from bravos the got from the Congratulations posts.  I assume we will have less people getting $1 in the next month.   

To my best knowledge, no points are earned posting or Bravoing in Lounge. Which is Correct approach!

One should get rewarded for valuable contribution to increase common knowledge and help others and not for clapping hands like on political rally.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with how Public Mobile is trying to manage this, keeping it from flooding the Announcement post.  It doesn't seem like much of a difference, except that Public Mobile has the opportunity to add its own reply without having it clouded by all of our celebratory replies.  🙂

I noticed they did include a link from the Announcement post to the Congratulatory thread too, but I missed it!  I look for a few specific items within the very long post, but now will know to look for it.

@hTideGnow, the purpose is to have public mobile service related issues in the main get help area of the forum and not service related items in the lounge

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

The thread for congratulations is here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Top-Contributors-September-2021-The-Lounge...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

They have moved the shoutout to the Lounge. 

From what I have read, look like they don't want people to benefit from bravos the got from the Congratulations posts.  I assume we will have less people getting $1 in the next month.   

Only one thread like this every month, give everyone time for excitement.     Should PM be cheap on this?

I start reading posts on the Lounge too.  Look like PM only wants us to talk business only.  I see many "side chats" moved over to the lounge.  The purpose is to cut down people's posts and bravos and save PM's $.    That is how I see it..

so, business talk only from now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Already being talked about down in the lounge. Yes it's all down there now.

0PX9O4

While I agree that collaboration and open communication is important, I'd want to hear more about what specifically is potentially being lost by losing out on the ability to publicly "congratulate" the ones who are being rewarded for their participation.

Does the simple ability for each member to to say "congratulations to all the top contributors" bring value to the whole PM community? How so?

benfatto

@pm-smayer97 "we can no longer give congratulations to those that have made significant contributions?"

Why not just give bravos to the posts you like? Beats me how 20 bravos for a member who  makes a single post in a month in that thread constitutes recognition for a job well done.

Besides the Community reward does provide recognition. 

Need Help? Let's chat.