cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Update and APN settings

Val_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

The steps outlined below, to change the APN settings remain the same.  Once the APN settings have been completed customers will notice a slight delay accessing services whenever they perform  a power cycle, SIM swap, toggle between airplane mode, or when turning LTE on/off.  Customers may experience a 30-60 second delay accessing voice and data services on HSPA, and up to a 12 minute delay accessing LTE data service.  During the 30 second delay your device will display “No Service” in the signal banner area.

We recognize that there are still some issues, and will continue to work on improving the experience for our iPhone customers.

To access data, follow these instructions to change your APN settings:

1. Insert your Public Mobile SIM card into your unlocked iPhone. 
2. Tap “Settings”
3. Tap “Cellular”
4. Tap “Cellular Data Network”
5. Change your APN values to match the table below:

*Only update the fields that are circled. Leave every other field empty

iPhoneMMS.png

Good News: iMessage and FaceTime should work on all the plans which include Data and SMS feature

290 REPLIES 290

Ben36
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 6S

I couldn’t send MMS and tried different settings which for me were in Settings/Cellular/Cellular Data Network/

I tried the APN: “sp.mb.com” “isp.mb.com” and “internet” leaving username and password blank. Nothing worked. 

finally, I did an iOS software update, and next thing I know I can send MMS messages!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Motz22 : This is an old thread. Did what? Do you show data available in your My Data & Add-ons? Is your phone running a 15.4 beta?

Motz22

Did it....still no data.

DaveWicks

this is frustrating..... eh only field I see is APN.... then i only says Username and Password... NO MMS etc. fields to allow me to fill in.... where do I find them??

dafodil7312
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Here is an effective link for the configuration APN: for IOS, android and other. This link gives the specific procedure for each type of phone:

Here's the link:  https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/

Select your phone modal to get device costomized for Public mobile APN settings.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bvanpoor wrote:

Btw, APN is set to isp.mb.com, which is different from the instructions PM provides. 

"Under the hood", your APN is likely set to sp.mb.com by the Carrier Profile, as that's the recommended APN for general use on PM.  If you're curious to know/check, then in this post, I provide instructions on how to check the APN (requires going into Field Test mode).

What you are referring to is likely the Personal Hotspot APN (Settings --> Cellular --> Cellular Data Network --> Personal Hotspot APN).  The recommendation there is indeed isp.mb.com, and is typically used for tethering now.

Bvanpoor

I am using iPhone 8 with iOS 13.4.1 (the latest). 

you were right, everything was already configured - I just hadn’t rebooted because I was looking for more setting to change. 

Btw, APN is set to isp.mb.com, which is different from the instructions PM provides. 

Thank you @CalgaryBen - that was really helpful. PM should update their pages. 

CalgaryBen

@Bvanpoor wrote:

My iOS doesn’t seem to correspond to these instructions.
I can find nowhere to  set MMSC, MMS proxy or anything else.

please help. 

@Bvanpoor what version of iOS and Carrier profile are you running?  This is found under Settings --> General --> About --> Software Version & Carrier.  If your phone supports it, latest version as of this writing is iOS 13.4.1 and Carrier profile is Public Mobile 41.0.  If applicable, you can update to the latest from Settings --> General --> About --> Software Update.

With the latest iOS and Carrier Profile loaded, you shouldn't need to set anything (because they are automatically configured by the Carrier Profile).  Instructions to set these manually are very out-dated (pre-date iOS 8 or so).  If you're trying to get something set up, have a look at this thread, which might have a post appropriate to whatever you're trying to do.  If you need further assistance, please tell us what model of iPhone you're using, and what issue you're experiencing.

Bvanpoor

My iOS doesn’t seem to correspond to these instructions.
-‘Cellular data’ is just a toggle (On/off); 

-‘cellular data options’ has toggles for ‘enable LTE’, ‘data roaming’, and ‘low data mode’;

-‘cellular data network’ only has fields for APN, username and password; and Has a switch for ‘reset settings’. 
I can find nowhere to  set MMSC, MMS proxy or anything else.

please help. 

@Esther365 wrote:

My iphone is 6 plus.  When I tap cellular data, the APN already showed isp.mb.com, so I have deleted the letter "i" only.  May be as you said, my iphone has got the data automatically.

Thank you.

@Esther365 

As long as your data is working, no need to mess with APN settings.

Esther365

My iphone is 6 plus.  When I tap cellular data, the APN already showed isp.mb.com, so I have deleted the letter "i" only.  May be as you said, my iphone has got the data automatically.

Thank you.

@Esther365If you are using an iPhone with one of the later iOS you don't need to set the APN. Everything should just work.

@Esther365 

@Esther365 wrote:

when I tap Cellular Data, I can only find "APN", and there are no MMS or MMSC for me to fill in information as provided by you.

More details will be helpful.  Which iphone model and your specific situation.  Also, starting your own thread may gain more visibility.  

With most iphones, you don't need to fill in any information.  It is automatic.  Maybe try network reset or phone reboot. 

Esther365

when I tap Cellular Data, I can only find "APN", and there are no MMS or MMSC for me to fill in information as provided by you.

CalgaryBen

@rubyquestions wrote:

What do you do if you don't have a field for MMSC or MMS Proxy?

@rubyquestions, I'm unclear about your question.  These fields are not exposed to the user to change, for pretty much all carriers in Canada at least.  They are essentially configured automatically and do not need to be adjusted.

rubyquestions

What do you do if you don't have a field for MMSC or MMS Proxy?

CalgaryBen

@Anonymous wrote:

Excellent first post. @CalgaryBen might be interested in this. Maybe he might edit his already great thread.

Thanks for the mention @Anonymous ... I've tweaked this post within that thread, which pertains to allowing network profiles to be installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamesM1 

Excellent first post. @CalgaryBen might be interested in this. Maybe he might edit his already great thread.

JamesM1

It seems like years later and the same/similar problem.

I would describe the problem as POOR mobile data transfer.  Some apps wouldn't work at all, others would work, and still others 'kind-of-worked'... and often I would get "internet not available" banner, but some mobile data would make it through.

While I was following discussions on APN settings (Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Network) I would only have "Personal Hotspot" as an option for altering the APN... and then I found this, and "poof" mobile data appears to be working fine now.

The Onavo app (aka Protect) was installed on my device, and on May 6, 2019, this app was discontinued. Once this change took place, devices that had Onavo, or Protect, installed could lose internet access. It is now advised that you remove the app to avoid potential connectivity problems. In some cases, you might have to remove the VPN profile.

This is exactly what I did:

Settings>General>Profile

I selected Onavo, and then simply removed this profile.

So there you go.  Not a Public Mobility carrier problem, not an iPhone problem, but a 'behind the scenes' software problem (see, and no 'jab' at facebook monitoring nor spyware either... humph).

SOURCES:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onavo

https://www.onavo.com/

https://www.onavo.com/remove_ios

Laylak

The data on my iphone 5 is working fine.

CalgaryBen

@alexlee99 wrote:

I think I figured it out. To avoid cell phone charges with my previous carrier, I went into

settings, Cellular, and and the bottom I turen everything off (not green). Thats why whenI tried all apps, nothing worked.

@alexlee99 glad you got it figured out, and thanks for the follow-up on the resolution!  I've tweaked this post accordingly in order to assist others in a similar situation.  Cheers!

alexlee99

Hi CB

I think I figured it out. To avoid cell phone charges with my previous carrier, I went into

settings, Cellular, and and the bottom I turen everything off (not green). Thats why when

I tried all apps, nothing worked. Thank you immensely for your help, You are a community superhero!

Alex

alexlee99

I found the IP address . It now shows up. Weird. Internet still does not work.

E5336E4F-C590-4A75-A762-BC5E8EB9B552.jpeg

I am going to call Bell and see if they locked data on their end. That’s what PM support thinks .

CalgaryBen

@alexlee99 wrote:

Just checked again, using the app “Status Lite”

there is no Section for Cell Information , looks like I don’t have a Cell IP address .

Could you please follow the procedure #2 in this post and provide a description or screenshot of your PDP Context 0 and 1?

@alexlee99 wrote:

this is is what my plan looks like

Did you mean to include additional information?  On your phone, if you flip up from the bottom of the screen, is the cell antenna icon, to the right of the airplane, green (i..e Cell Data turned on)?  Also, is your wife on PM?

alexlee99

Just checked again, using the app “Status Lite”

there is only an IP under The Wifi information section, there is no Section for Cell Information , looks like I don’t have a Cell IP address . I checked my wife’s phone using the same app and she has a section for Cell information and thus an IP

this is is what my plan looks like

Thanks

CalgaryBen

@alexlee99 wrote:

I downloaded the app and verified I have an IP address :

Just to confirm, you have an 10.x.x.x or 25.x.x.x IP address, correct?

@alexlee99 wrote:

- “safari cannot open the page because your iphone is not connected to the internet” is the error msg I get when trying to use cell data 

- I can’t send MMS (picture messages) but regular text and phone calling works .

- I went to the “my data and add on section and verified I am in the $25 for unlimited and 500mb + 500 mb data plan.

Since you said you did the network reset, there shouldn't be any blocking profile installed (e.g. a corporate policy, etc.), but just for good measure, see if there's any under Settings --> General --> Profiles (it's underneath "VPN").  If there are any, then delete them one-by-one and restart, and see if that works.

At this point, I'm a bit stumped.  If you've got an IP address and the carrier profile, then MMS should work (it uses the data connection, but goes through a proxy so it doesn't consume/require plan data).  I presume you rebooted and all that?  Did you try other apps, other than Safari?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexlee99 wrote:

Hi CB

- “safari cannot open the page because your iphone is not connected to the internet” is the error msg I get when trying to use cell data 

- My previous carrier is Bell

- I can’t send MMS (picture messages) but regular text and phone calling works .

- I went to the “my data and add on section and verified I am in the $25 for unlimited and 500mb + 500 mb data plan.

thanks for your help! 

But in that lower area, does it show your data counter?

alexlee99

Hi CB

- My previous carrier is Bell

thanks for your help! 

CalgaryBen

@alexlee99 wrote:

I  did a network settings  reset and still only have the “personal hotspot”. As well I still can’t connect to the internet . 

Just seeing the APN setting under "Personal Hotspot" is normal.  Could you take a look at this post and determine if you have an IP address?  If you do, then you already have a valid APN.  If not (e.g. it shows as 0.0.0.0) then we can dig deeper.  What is your indication that you can't connect to the internet?  In other words, are you trying to use your browser, certain apps, etc...?  Also which plan did you sign up for?  Are you able to send/receive MMS (pictures through text)?

@alexlee99 wrote:

it looks like I just have to get someone from the support team to email me the configuration file ?

No, there's no configuration file to be sent to you; you already have the configuration profile (Public Mobile 35.0) installed.  Perhaps a bit more details/context could help... like what your previous provider was, what shows up on the Overview page of your self-serve account under the "My Data & Add-Ons" section.

alexlee99

Hi Calgary Ben.

I have public mobile 35.0 as the latest profile. I  did a network settings  reset and still only have the “personal hotspot”. As well I still can’t connect to the internet . For what you said in your other thread  “The only APN setting that typically can be changed on an iPhone is the Personal Hotspot APN for tethering, but users are often confused into thinking that's the APN they're setting for their phone's data” it looks like I just have to get someone from the support team to email me the configuration file ? I am so close!

thanks  CB

Alex 

Need Help? Let's chat.