cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Public Mobile experience just got an upgrade.

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We have a big announcement to share with you! 

Starting July 13, Public Mobile is going 100% digital, with all new activations and devices taking place exclusively online. New customers can join Public Mobile on the go, from anywhere, without setting foot into a store.

To officially mark the start of a new & improved Public Mobile experience, we’re announcing two exciting new features launching today:

Browse up to 30x faster with new 4G-speed plans. 

Now, you can get up to 30x faster speeds with Public Mobile’s new 4G-speed plans, when compared to existing 3G-speed plans. These new plans provide new and existing customers with a wider range of included data and speeds to choose from, depending on their needs. 

Introducing the new My Account: A modernized, mobile-first self-serve experience.

Redesigned from the ground up, our refreshed self-serve portal provides you with easy account-management at your fingertips without the need for in-person support. Plus, it features an all new intuitive mobile-friendly design to make all account management a breeze. 

Along with these new features, as many of you know, we recently launched our new rewards program Public Points earlier this year, where you can earn and redeem rewards with ultimate flexibility. We also redesigned our Community Forum to give our customers the ability to find solutions faster, with 24/7 access to online support. 

Expect to see many more exciting enhancements as we continue on our journey of putting the power of mobility in the hands of Canadians. To celebrate these exciting launches, we will be giving new subscribers 3x the points-back for their first 12 months, for a limited time on eligible purchase, through our Public Points™ Rewards program.

Important Details:

• You will still be able to purchase SIM cards from TELUS & Koodo corporate stores. Find a store near you using our store locator.  
  • Vouchers will still be available for purchase in the same locations as before. Visit our vouchers page to access our list of voucher purchase locations.  

For more information on these exciting new changes, please visit publicmobile.ca or our FAQs on these changes. 

- Public Mobile Team

294 REPLIES 294

Gizmo2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wonderful 

@Halfdome59 wrote:

Hi.  I find the new my account doesn't work on my phone.  When I try to log in it just returns ..page expired.  I need to go to my desktop computer to view my account.

I get this EVERY TIME I log in on my iPad. I then have to use the back button, try again, maybe do a refresh and then finally the page loads. Try a bunch of this stuff. I think there may be an error 404:in there somewhere as well but try several times.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@saharding 

Yes. Rewards are tied to your account not your plan. As long as you don't "join" the points program your $$ rewards are safe as are any bonus or gifted or promotional or purchased add ons that are on your account(s). Be sure to just schedule a change plan on next renewal  to the $40/5gb "4G" plan.

saharding

Hello,

We are currently Public Mobile customers for over 3yrs and are on the loyalty rewards where we get money off of our bill for refering a freind, auto deposit and loyalty. We saw that you have a new 4g plan for 5GB for $40. That is the same as what we are paying for the 3g 5GB $40 plan. Can we change to the 4g plan and still receive the reward of money off instead of points? We are looking at changing to that but want to make sure our rewards continue along with our bonus data we have accumulated over the years. Please let me know if we can do that.

@Halfdome59 wrote:

Hi.  I find the new my account doesn't work on my phone.  When I try to log in it just returns ..page expired.  I need to go to my desktop computer to view my account.

This sounds as if it could be a web browser issue. Clear the cookies and cache of your mobile browser and then close it. Re-open the browser and try again.

Halfdome59
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Joanne6

Good idea. I am happy with my 2 GB plan.

Joanne6

I have heard that too.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Kiravanskiver 

I can't disagree with that statement.

Kiravanskiver

Personally

I'm not to thrilled with public mobile lately 😑 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That makes sense, I had Solo at one point... I think they still exist too but aren't taking new customers. They did offer post paid though, but on the affordability of prepaid. Miss that part. If autopay were to fail on a post paid arrangement, they're gonna tell you asap. Vs prepaid your service just stops and they don't care

@Pawprints1986 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Mobile

Luckily mobile was always Bell, it was more like a rebrand of Solo, I think

Chatr is always Chat too as launched by Rogers

Pawprints1986

@computergeek541 wow, I was today years old when I learned PM was originally it's own company... I'm curious what their back in the day designs and stuff would have been. Did they operate using telus equipment/lines the whole time? Now I'm curious on the history of chatr and lucky too lol

Cmarquez

Thank you 🙏 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cmarquez 

Welcome to public mobile!

Cmarquez

Exactly, it blows my mind how much of a difference there is- you’d think that a technology based service would cost more in a third vs first world country. Anyways, I digressed- apologies for the highjack! 

@Cmarquez wrote:

Curious…. Who or where are people getting data at better rates in Canada?!? I mean… I know I can go to Mexico and purchase a SIM card there with huge data for 1 or 2 months, for less than it would have cost me for “pre-paid” international roaming charges with my old provider….. but everything cell or cable in Canada falls under such a Monopoly, there really isn’t a HUGE difference I know of? I JUST switched to PM after being with my previous provider since my teens and the days of my transparent, lavender coloured pager! After 27 years of loyal service…. I did my best to haggle down our “2 smart phone” bill payment, and just could not stomach the $150-160/ month for myself and teen, while on a limited income with multiple babes at home. 

There are very few companies providing service to the vast majority of people in Canada. Unfortunately, Canada has some of the highest rates in the world.

Cmarquez

Curious…. Who or where are people getting data at better rates in Canada?!? I mean… I know I can go to Mexico and purchase a SIM card there with huge data for 1 or 2 months, for less than it would have cost me for “pre-paid” international roaming charges with my old provider….. but everything cell or cable in Canada falls under such a Monopoly, there really isn’t a HUGE difference I know of? I JUST switched to PM after being with my previous provider since my teens and the days of my transparent, lavender coloured pager! After 27 years of loyal service…. I did my best to haggle down our “2 smart phone” bill payment, and just could not stomach the $150-160/ month for myself and teen, while on a limited income with multiple babes at home. 

Cmarquez

I wholeheartedly agree with this and believe that having the option to purchase/ pay for plans or monthly usage at a brick and mortar location (using CASH), and still being able to access a service that operates akin to others “requiring credit, bank accounts, a stable address” etc. is a necessary service filling a niche market ( or deep void). 
It is almost impossible to function in current society, without regular access to the internet and phone service. Store fronts allow people experiencing things such as homelessness, addiction, and severe mental health illness to still access a service they otherwise may not. It helps to de-marginalize these populations 😉

@jmills0661 wrote:

Love PM.....wish they were never bought out!

If Telus hadn't purchased Public Mobile, the future of the company would have been uncertain. The network would have also been much worse, and possibly still be on an outdate CDMA network system.

jmills0661

Love PM.....wish they were never bought out!

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Is *anyone* actually getting 90mbps on the 4g plans, which would be what 30x 3mbps would equate to?

Yes. I get higher than that fairly consistently. The disappointment part of these new 4g plans is how in the Self Serve site, Public Mobile made mention of 750Mbps maximum speeds (although the advertising on the Public Mobile plan ad page does say 100Mbps). It's my belief that these new 4g plans aren't set to the same speed as the old 4g plans.  Public Mobile is very clearly limiting these new plans to a maximum download speed of 100Mbps. What I don't know is if the old 4g plans have had their speeds lowered to that number too.Public Mobile has also done something very strange to the upload speeds.  I don't thnk people will be able to get upload speeds of more than 10Mbps.

Pawprints1986

Is *anyone* actually getting 90mbps on the 4g plans, which would be what 30x 3mbps would equate to?

Sounds bogus as home internet makes you pay $44 before tax and that's a second tier company that uses in my case cogecos lines, and the max you get is 15mbps unless you buy a larger pricier plan. 120mbps is $90 before taxes. So are $40 ish dollar plans here really getting 90mbps 🤔

@IJB wrote:

"Browse up to 30x faster with new 4G-speed plans."  they said. Silly me, I upgraded to 4G plan today and my browsing speed has dropped to 0x. Incoming calls also not working. Many others complaining of similar issues on Get Support forum!! 

Unfortunately, posting a message here is only usually seen by other customers. Only a customer support agent would be look into such network issues or account issues.

@IJB it is likely just a system glitch and PM support can fix . Please open a ticket with PM support if you have not done so

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

IJB

"Browse up to 30x faster with new 4G-speed plans."  they said. Silly me, I upgraded to 4G plan today and my browsing speed has dropped to 0x. Incoming calls also not working. Many others complaining of similar issues on Get Support forum!! 

Debra2

Bravo

Pawprints1986

@balaca 

"Sometimes I just can't help thinking, this bug-ridden makeover of a perfectly working site, is just a ploy by greedy Telus, to kick out the customers who can afford pricier plans!"

makes you wonder eh? Koodo also has near identical prepaid plans (maybe they always did?) Except I'm pretty sure minus the rewards but d.amn close. As well as their post paid "starter" plans (again minus rewards) which allow for the possibility of roaming including international

Was going to check actual telus too but seems their site is (also) down. (611 and my account here was down at least as of about 20 minutes ago)

balaca

Thank you, not sure how much things have changed since upgrade.

For instance, tonight I tried to submit a ticket (for bonus referral promo), and got some nasty 'Username Error' when trying to verify account inorder to 'Submit'. I just couldn't get past that.

Sometimes I just can't help thinking, this bug-ridden makeover of a perfectly working site, is just a ploy by greedy Telus, to kick out the customers who can afford pricier plans!

Need Help? Let's chat.