cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tvisforme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Which U.S. area codes are not supported in the U.S. Talk packages?

As of December 8th, 2016, calls made to the following six digit combinations will no longer be supported on any Talk plans and add-ons that include U.S. calling to:

State

Excluded areas after December 8th, 2016

Area codes

California

Reedley

559-726-XXXX

Iowa

Carroll

712-775-XXXX

Lake Park

712-432-XXXX

Charles City

641-552-XXXX

South Dakota

Redfield

605-475-XXXX

Pine Ridge

605-562-XXXX

Fort Thompsons

605-477-XXXX

It's really important that we offer our products and services to our customers at fair rates. Unfortunately, our agreement with our partners in the U.S. makes it extremely expensive to support calls made to these regions. In order to keep our Talk prices as they are, we had to make a difficult decision to exclude these numbers from our Talk packages.

I did some research on this, apparently some of these area codes are significantly more expensive to terminate calls in than the norm for North America. No surprise, it is a revenue-generating idea for those areas. The rural exchanges in some US states such as South Dakota and Iowa are permitted to charge significantly higher termination fees, ostensibly to cover costs on lower-volume exchanges. However, they solicit high-volume services such as teleconferencing and sex chat lines in order to drive more calls through these expensive connections.

New York Times "Why Google Doesn't Like Its Phone Bill"

Blog post "What's With the 712 Area Code?"

Jsauter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Totally what happened.  I would assume most "unlimited" plans probably block these exchanges because it would cost way to much to support.  

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup, AT&T/Cingular has blocked these types of things since 2007. Wind too (with mention of Mobilicity), since at least 2011.  

DL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I actually fully support Public Mobile in this action. These small local telcos are extorting all other carriers and by extension, the overall public. Fsck them, let them rot.
daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Sucks though if you live in the 712 or 605 area code because nobody will be able to call you!

What's the deal with Reedley, California then? It's a pretty small area. Only 25,000 people.

Jsauter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's only for single exchanges in those area codes. Max 9999 numbers.
WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, I'm guessing they're just blocking the exchanges used by those long distance/teleconferencing services
Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm happy to hear that that it's no only PM that has done this. Thanks for the education folks 🙂
Val_T
Retraité / Retired

Hi @srlawren,

Correct - calls made to these US phone numbers will not be supported. Meaning Canada & US Talk that is included in the base plan (if chosen) and the long distance add-ons that include US calls will not include calls to these phone numbers.

Thanks,

Val

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for clarifying, @Val_T. Disappointing, but understandable. So I guess the best options for anyone needing to speak with people in those exchanges include:

1) text, email, or instant message the person and ask them to call you (this is assuming inbound calls from those exchanges are still possible--can you please confirm?)

2) could try fongo or hangouts dialer or other VoIP solution, though it's quite possible they also have blocked or will block calling those exchanges as well

3) make a voice or video call not involving the phone system at all, such as Skype-to-Skype, WhatsApp voice call, Viber, BBM, etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.