cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: What to do with spam in your Private Message folder

@pomlady wrote:

I kind of did, I filled out the first page as far as address goes, etc. then when I saw something about a $1. I clicked it off, not giving away my credit card information!

You shouldn't have done that but any time you buy something online, you give somebody your address. You could start getting more junk mail addressed to you from companies that you haven't heard of.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah I know a dumb move:-(!

Mayor / Maire

@pomlady 

It happens....they catch you in a moment when your spidey sense is down.....same as at quick glance your username looks like something else altogether....lol!

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

received four messages all suggesting I won an iphone.  Did not realize I could report so I simply deleted.  Thanks for this post so I now know what to do.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I also just received a message about winning an iPhone 12, from a member that has no activity in the community. I will report.

I have received 2 of these messages over the ast couple of weeks. But I don't see the "report" button in either message. I'm puzzled.

Pat

Oracle

@Bigpointguy wrote:

I have received 2 of these messages over the ast couple of weeks. But I don't see the "report" button in either message. I'm puzzled.

Pat

@Bigpointguy 

There is the Report button, on the lower left corner of the private message.  

@Bigpointguy 

You have to actually open the message. From there you can see a report, ignore, delete option. Just don't click on any links or nothing . 

Capture.PNG

Easiest option is to just block PM functionality for new accounts completely. If they need to contact someone, then they can only message the moderator team. 

Otherwise, they can post on the community but not automatically - new accounts need to get their first posts approved too. 

I did the cat and mouse game on my own sites for a while. No amount of recaptcha, etc would help. Eventually i shut it all down and used an algorithm that turns those features on when certain criteria that deems they're actually using the site's intended features is met. 8 years and counting and not a single spam. 

Mayor / Maire

@Saudor wrote:

Easiest option is to just block PM functionality for new accounts completely. If they need to contact someone, then they can only message the moderator team. 

Otherwise, they can post on the community but not automatically - new accounts need to get their first posts approved too. 

I did the cat and mouse game on my own sites for a while. No amount of recaptcha, etc would help. Eventually i shut it all down and used an algorithm that turns those features on when certain criteria that deems they're actually using the site's intended features is met. 8 years and counting and not a single spam. 

They can't do that.  New customers need help the most. Not allowing private messages or needing to get posts approved means it takes longer to get help.

Need Help? Let's chat.