We’ve heard that some of you have received spam in your Private Message folder on the Community. The team has put great effort into filtering out spam messages, but in the case you do receive one, here’s what to do:
1. DO NOT click on any links within the message
2. Report the message
3. Delete the message
Note that you do not need to submit a ticket. Our Moderator team will be taking immediate action and banning users sending the spam messages upon reporting.
Your safety and security is top priority for us. We are investigating additional ways to help limit these instances. Please help us by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity on the Community.
- The Public Mobile Team
Yes I know, I came here to this topic, read the first post, clicked the report button in my messages area.... but as I mentioned, that opens a text box that isn't mentioned in the instructions. Thus I Listed off all the things that sending this “report” makes me consider before finishing. In the end since no additional instructions about the box were mentioned I did nothing additional.
my parents and some of my other PM friends have received spams in their inbox recently. How is possible that a spammer get all their emails?
There are a couple things involved here.
1. anybody can sign up to the community and they can send private messages to whoever else in the community using all the usernames they can see. Those usernames are visible in three places plus posts in threads.
2. by default, community settings have it that an email notification goes to the email address that we all have registered with the community account. That can be turned off along with other things. The content of the message is not included in that email notification. Just username and subject. I would suggest not calling that spam in your own email system whatever you use. But do as already mentioned in your private message system here in the community.
Telus/Public Mobile do somewhat often send marketing stuff. ie. the health stuff that Telus is trying to flog and you likely saw the email from PM telling you about the gifts and draw among others over time.
I didnt even do that, just sent it. Already received a message back confirming receipt of the report.
It’s a predicament for sure. Anyone can join up here and start spamming members. They could limit membership here to PM customers only (who could STILL spam other members but not as likely) but that kills the ability of potential customers to check PM out here and get answers to questions.
Good suggestions, @softech. 👌
These are the minimal and essential, and something on those lines should be implemented ASAP.
hope PM would do something to the spammer.. like deactivate the account..
i understand they can always setup a new one.. maybe the system should post some limitation..
1. like if Community account not link with any PM account, no direct email to people other than moderators .. or other than replying..
2. or if new Community account setup less than a month, max of 5 private messages daily
@darlicious This is just a test to see if I can trigger the spam filter.
"Good Luck!" A short friendly message. Howdy! iPhone 12.
I definitely noticed an apparent increase in spam messages within the last few weeks. In one week, I received about 4 spam messages. Glad to see that PM is aware of the situation and informing PM customers about the steps to take if they receive one. I definitely hope that they are able to take the suggestion of limiting what an individual can do with their Community account if they are not a PM customer (not being able to send out private messages). That would definitely help quite a bit as the accounts of these spammers would normally be created the same day the message was sent.