Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with spam in your Private Message folder

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve heard that some of you have received spam in your Private Message folder on the Community. The team has put great effort into filtering out spam messages, but in the case you do receive one, here’s what to do:

1. DO NOT click on any links within the message

2. Report the message

Catherine_T_0-1607547239121.png

3. Delete the message

Note that you do not need to submit a ticket. Our Moderator team will be taking immediate action and banning users sending the spam messages upon reporting.

Your safety and security is top priority for us. We are investigating additional ways to help limit these instances. Please help us by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity on the Community. 

- The Public Mobile Team

120 REPLIES 120

HI @Suzique   yes, scammers also come here and send random messages. Just like junk mail, not something we can avoid.

you can either click the gear icon and report spam or just delete it

once you joined longer, those spam will go away.  They kind of target new members only 

Suzique
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Suzique_0-1670431815104.png

Suzique_1-1670431869726.png

so many of these messages in my inbox - why?

chch518
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

thx, i did report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asiam0715 : You're talking about a few things here. The spam is in the private messaging system that is the envelope icon in the upper right next to your star avatar. You click on the subject line and in there to the lower left is the Report link. Then return to that and click on the Ignore button above to the right. Then click on Delete to the lower right.

Try logging in using incognito/private mode or use a different browser. All the usual password typing rules apply. If you're auto-filling...don't.

What do you mean you got dinged? Were you not wanting to renew your plan?

Asiam0715

Thank you. I will try that...

However, I am not impaired or stupid... I know you don't mean it like that, but seriously, if there WAS AN OPTION ON MY SCREEN To report and delete spam messages, I WOULD HAVE USED IT. It literally DOES NOT HAVE THAT OPTION on my screen. Maybe it's the browser, or my phone, don't know....but if the option was there on my screen, I would have used it. 

I have tried several times to change my passwords, and am successful up to that point, the Passwords are simple...for me anyway...so it's not a matter of hitting an incorrect key by mistake,  password change successful, but when I try to logon again, it says password is incorrect. I will still try your suggestion, but I've been trying to do this for well over a week, and in the meantime, I got dinged another auto-pay payment. 

Thanks anyway, I appreciate at least someone giving a response. ☺️

@Asiam0715 wrote:

Kind of useless if you don't even have the delete, or report  options .,. 

this is not true.  If you open the message. you will see the "Report" link on the very bottom, same line as the "Delete" and Reply" button but on the Right

E-Spam_report.png

Stop auto pay has been unsuccessful , so I'm losing money to an account I can't use, and can't sign in to self serve as whenever I change the password, it says incorrect password no matter how many times I change it...

You can also try to stop autopay using *611 (PIN required)

Also, seems like you have been resetting password.  So, you are able to reset the password with the Forgot password link and able to answer the security question?  If it keeps having issue after password reset, I suggest you to do the following

1. change to some simply password first, such as abcD1234.   

2. wait for 5 mins , then try to logon 

3. logout and wait for another 30 mins and try again

4. logon once again the next day, if no problem, then reset the password while you are in My Account to something more complicated.  Then Logoff

5. wait 5 mins and try again with the more complicated password you just set

Let us know how it goes

@computergeek541 

Perhaps you would like to merge these posts with the new thread @Asiam0715  started.

@Asiam0715 

The self serve account has been rather finicky lately. Have you tried signing in after you....

1. Clear your browser.
  2. Reboot your device or try a different device.
  3. Open one tab only.
  4. Use secret/incognito mode.
  5. Firefox, chrome, safari or edge work best.

If all else fails you can always put you card on hold the night of your renewal. Autopay will fail and your account will cancel after 90 days.

Otherwise put "password reset" in the subject line and use the following guide to verify your account.

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Asiam0715 wrote:

Kind of useless if you don't even have the delete, or report  options .,. Just one more reason to stop using public mobile. Stop auto pay has been unsuccessful , so I'm losing money to an account I can't use, and can't sign in to self serve as whenever I change the password, it says incorrect password no matter how many times I change it...and keep getting a robot reply to sign in to do anything, but CANT SIGN IN ! Done with this company. 

You need to click on the first line of text in the email and then it will open up the complete email. You will then see the “report” option and delete button.

If you know your pin call 611 from your phone to remove autopay. Your account will close after 90 days from the next renewal date.

Have you tried the Forgot your password link?

Send a private message to a CSA if you continue to have sign in problems or to retrieve your pin.

• You can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Hours of operation:

You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Keep an eye on the envelope icon in the top right hand corner for a reply from the CSA.

Asiam0715

Kind of useless if you don't even have the delete, or report  options .,. Just one more reason to stop using public mobile. Stop auto pay has been unsuccessful , so I'm losing money to an account I can't use, and can't sign in to self serve as whenever I change the password, it says incorrect password no matter how many times I change it...and keep getting a robot reply to sign in to do anything, but CANT SIGN IN ! Done with this company. 

@hanna_t wrote:

I received this one this today.  From Stella Torres - how to make money.

The previous one was February 2nd from Jaguarz - Bitcoin opportunity.

Your screen shot indicates I need to open the message.  The link appears to be in the message header.  Is that not going to provide them the info they need?  Or am I misreading this?

@hanna_t   Were you able to verify the web address as suggested earlier by hovering over the message heading?   Otherwise, if the message you received is the same as another poster who reported something similar earlier today, then you should be able to safely open the message by clicking the heading and then have the option to first report and then delete it as per @RosieR's post.

Here's a link to the other thread on spam message received: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Is-this-allowed-Is-this-a-scam/td-p/669516/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hanna_t : So when you hover over the subject line does it not show publicmobile in the address (amongst a bunch of other stuff). My Firefox and Chrome both show an address when hovered over. In this case I hovered over your username.

showurl.jpg

hanna_t

I received this one this today.  From Stella Torres - how to make money.

The previous one was February 2nd from Jaguarz - Bitcoin opportunity.

Your screen shot indicates I need to open the message.  The link appears to be in the message header.  Is that not going to provide them the info they need?  Or am I misreading this?

hanna_t

The link appears to be in the message heading.

@hanna_t wrote:

I am getting spam too.  I cannot see a Report button so assume I have to open the message to see it.  I cannot open the message without opening their link. 

Please provide an alternative.

Thank you.

Hi @hanna_t we haven't heard about spam messages for a little while. When did you receive this spam message?  We were told to #1 report and then #2 delete, and never click on the links.

private message.png

Have a nice day

RosieR

Information from a previous thread from the moderators.

Hey Community,

We’ve heard that some of you have received spam in your Private Message folder on the Community. The team has put great effort into filtering out spam messages, but in the case you do receive one, here’s what to do:

1. DO NOT click on any links within the message

2. Report the message

Triguy_0-1616786621897.png

3. Delete the message

Note that you do not need to submit a ticket. Our Moderator team will be taking immediate action and banning users sending the spam messages upon reporting.

Your safety and security is top priority for us. We are investigating additional ways to help limit these instances. Please help us by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity on the Community. 

- The Public Mobile Team

@hanna_t wrote:

I am getting spam too.  I cannot see a Report button so assume I have to open the message to see it.  I cannot open the message without opening their link. 

Thank you.

@hanna_t   You should be able to open the message without clicking on links unless the link is in the message heading?

Click on the username's profile and to the right hand side you should be able to click "Ignore".  This will at least stop that particular user from sending you anymore spam/messages, although it's likely they have more than one username they're operating under so it's not a solution to not receiving more spam.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hanna_t : Clicking on the subject line opens the message. If you're unsure then hover over the subject line and if your browser shows you the link (like Firefox for Windows) then you should see that it would be publicmobile and not anything nefarious.

hanna_t

Thank you.

Joewillier

Thank you bro . 

@Joewillier wrote:

I’ll try 

@Joewillier...

you're replying to a topic that's a couple of weeks old. If you're experiencing any problems, start a new thread and you'll have plenty of people to help you.

Click on Community and scroll down to see the different topics and you can select one to start your question.

Joewillier

I’ll try 

Mitchler
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, FYI it is still coming, just reported one.

BVokey

That's all i have received in my inbox.....scam artists everywhere!

Home-confused

I thought the heading might be a link which is why I didn't have the buttons.  thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Home-confused wrote:

I do not have any buttons to report or remove 3 messages in my inbox? Suggestions?

@Home-confused 

Click on the subject of each and then you'll see the buttons. Little Report to the left. Bigger Delete to the right. Don't click on the links.

Home-confused

I do not have any buttons to report or remove 3 messages in my inbox? Suggestions?

Kyra13000

Same here!! Thanks 

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good to know. I only deleted. Next time I'll report it first.

LRosevear

I didn't know I could report it so I actually opened a link AND then just deleted the email... will see if I can find it in another folder and report it. Actually I think I had two of them.

Need Help? Let's chat.